Thread: That poor, poor man

Administrator
    VIN
    Looking at the recent project cars gave me the idea for this thread:

http://dmctalk.org/showthread.php?10...heir-condition

VIN
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Michael View Post
    I firmly believe there is money to be made in selling DeLoreans, the trick is to buy the rotted out hulks and resale them "as is" to unsuspecting pie in the sky dreamers. The Bev. Hill car club got THIRTEEN THOUSAND DOLLARS for something not far from a parts car! I'm sure shipping overseas wasn't free either. For the mid teens he could have easily bought a running driver that may be rough around the edges, but still able to fix up and be at least even money(minus labor) when it's all done.

Still, could be worse, this guy paid 16k for one in much worse shape. What the hell is wrong with these people?? 16,000 dollars for this:
    http://dmctalk.org/showthread.php?10...what-did-I-buy!
    I know that this is 100% accurate. I received several offers for 3676 driving it from New York to Texas; the best was for $6,000.00.

Now, I promised that I would restore 3676 and I gave my word that I'm not going to sell it, so there's no amount that can buy it, but the offer was tempting.
    -Chad K.
    Previous owner of VINS: 6982, 1601, 1265, and 1269

"Count of Islandia; Colonel of the Defense Forces and Chancellor of Transportation."

VIN
    2808 6921
    The crablorean is somewhat of a legend.
    Too bad Michael is wrong on this one, unless someone goes in my yard, steals the car and takes it across the US to California......
    I do love when this video crops up on my car though, it always makes me laugh!

Devout Follower Of He Who Walks Behind The Rows NightFlyer's Avatar
    VIN
    Quote Originally Posted by Rich_NYS View Post
    Looking at the recent project cars gave me the idea for this thread:

http://dmctalk.org/showthread.php?10...heir-condition
    #1 reason is improper storage.
    "You can never use too much anti-seize!"

--Josh S.

VIN
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by ChuckD View Post
    Too bad Michael is wrong on this one, unless someone goes in my yard, steals the car and takes it across the US to California......
    What exactly was I wrong about? The video is just oneI found on youtube to show the car I was referring to, the crablorean. And as a reference to all cars that need a lot of work. I have no idea of its whereabouts now, condition it's in, nor do I really care.

VIN
    2808 6921
    What exactly was I wrong about? The video is just oneI found on youtube to show the car I was referring to, the crablorean. And as a reference to all cars that need a lot of work. I have no idea of its whereabouts now, condition it's in, nor do I really care.
    If you are the same Michael from the other site then I was referring to the post over there about my car in which Michael said on the other site:

Quote Originally Posted by PeterBiggerstaff View Post
    As an example, this car would be perfect for me if it was manual:
    http://www.beverlyhillscarclub.com/1...an--c-2597.htm
    Those guys have some of the roughest DeLoreans for sale. I almost expect them to have the Crablorean up sooner or later.

To which my response is the post above. Since I don't post on that site anymore I was simply pointing out that BHCC won't be selling my car, unless the previously mentioned statement happens.
    Last edited by ChuckD; 09-07-2014 at 10:27 AM. Reason: spelling omg

VIN
    Quote Originally Posted by ChuckD View Post
    Hey Chuck - is that you in the video that describes the car as the "biggest piece of crap in DeLorean history"? Or is that a previous owner?

--Josh S.

VIN
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by NightCrier View Post
    #1 reason is improper storage.
    This is true of any car.

I'd also add that a lack of driving is a contributing factor. A car that gets serviced and driven stays in better shape than one that sits.

There are a few DeLorean-specific issues that contribute to the cars deterioration as well. Issues with K-Jet and electrical baffled a lot of mechanics in addition to the fact that a lot of them were bought as investments and stored improperly by individuals who had no idea how to store a car.
    -Chad K.
    Previous owner of VINS: 6982, 1601, 1265, and 1269

"Count of Islandia; Colonel of the Defense Forces and Chancellor of Transportation."

VIN
    2808 6921
    No, it's the PO that made the video. It may be a piece of crap, but I got it for 5 grand and plan on doing something fun with it. Ive got sketches and a notebook full of stuff to do with it, but want to get more of an attack plan before I just go willy nilly at it.

VIN
    Well like I said all along. If he wants the fun of restoration and to experience the journey that's one thing. I personally think he would have been miles (and years) ahead to buy one of the many drivers out there for about the same money that no doubt still need a lot of work, but at least you knew up front it ran and drove. He would have been even better off to spend an extra 4 or 5k and bought a decent car to begin with. He would be out right now enjoying it and still have fun in the coming years bringing an 80% car up to 100% rather than bringing a 20% car up to 80%, but that's not for me to say, (but I am anyway).
    Andrew's project car was in about similar shape (some things were better, some were worse), except the engine on his was completely seized (wouldn't turn over by hand). Andrew paid about half what the car at issue cost from the BHCC (not including shipping, taxes, etc). Not only did Andrew get the engine unseized, but he got it running and out on the road for less than $2k invested in parts so far. Granted, instead of monkeying around with k-jet, Andrew went straight to carburetion. I still have to make it over to his place one of these days to check it out

While the NZ guy did overpay, I don't think that he significantly overpaid considering that the undercarriage didn't look too bad and the fact that nearly everything appears to be there.

The engine is the biggest gamble here. If the block is cracked, or the heads are warped from overheating, etc, then he crapped out. But if the engine is still good, then I don't think he did too bad.

Not to mention that many US sellers are unwilling to deal with overseas buyers - to find one that would may have required him to pay a bit of a premium for such a willingness alone.

It's his money and he may have more money than God (he better), so if he is willing to spend the money and time great,... if he is willing. I said it in my first post, he took a big gamble. He could have a complete engine rebuild on his hands, he could have a complete fuel system rebuild to deal with, was that taken into consideration?
    Fuel system rebuild, either k-jet or carb conversion, shouldn't run more than about $1.5k.

If the engine is toast and needs to be replaced or torn down, unless he wanted to stick with the 2.85L for originality purposes, it would probably be better for him to source a compatible running PRV (2.7L, 2.85L Volvo block, 3.0L), which I should think he could find over there for around $600 or so. Or he could even do something exotic like stick a 24V PRV in it, as they have greater access to the 24V PRVs than we do over here (virtually non-existent).

Also he never asked about this car, he asked about the black car BHCC had.
    Yeah, I realized that last night and edited my comment accordingly.

I sincerely hope just like I would for any new Delorean owner that he is happy with his car. It just looks like he went out of his way to spend more money on less car.
    I don't think he's in too bad a position actually. If he does everything properly and doesn't spend like a fish on completely unnecessary so-called upgrades (like the stainless header bottles, stainless brackets, stainless sheathed fuel lines, etc), then I could honestly see him coming out even financially (of course, on his time, it's a whole other story, but he's doing this for fun/passion, and not for profit).

On another note, this thread on Today has about 25 more views than the original thread we referenced here even though this one was started like 3+ hours after. That's odd considering they have 4000 members and we only have a few hundred.
    That is interesting. I think that my recent shake up of things over there directed a lot more traffic to Today

--Josh S.