Page 2 of 11 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: That poor, poor man

Devout Follower Of He Who Walks Behind The Rows NightFlyer's Avatar
    VIN
    Quote Originally Posted by Dracula View Post
    Now THAT "car" is worse than mine. I don't care how rare they are in Norway, there's no excuse for the price he paid.
    Yeah - that guy definitely got hosed....
    "Driving Concours - proving it's possible with every mile!"

--Josh S.

RACIST -25 POINTS Dead Lesbian Goat's Avatar
    VIN
    Blog Entries
    Hmmmm, didn't I make mention of that car at the bottom of my first post? Now whose not reading?
    RACIST

Administrator
    VIN
    Quote Originally Posted by NightCrier View Post
    No question that he definitely over-paid for what he received. But as what's done is done, there's really no point in mentioning that now, as Rich stated. But then again, that hasn't stopped Talkers from doing just that (and most recently might I add):

http://dmctalk.org/showthread.php?10...what-did-I-buy!

That guy paid even more ($16k) for a car in much worse shape (completely rotted frame).
    That's a bit different....that guy kinda put himself out there for "after the fact" comments.

In this case though, the best way to be honest with him would be to provide him with an objective and detailed cost-analysis of his situation, kinda like how I did for Rich before he bought his car (which BTW @Rich, are you still within the repair/replacement cost estimate that I gave you?).
    I'm still within your estimate not counting the $658 I spent on unplanned/unexpected stuff. I'd say you were right on.

If the guy is in for $20k already, he could probably stick another $10k into the car and still come out even by virtue of his limited supply market.
    Plus, those numbers might not mean jack to the guy. If he really wanted the car and had the cash, he might not even be considering the $$...neva know what someone's cash position is, yo.

Administrator
    VIN
    Quote Originally Posted by Michael View Post
    Hmmmm, didn't I make mention of that car at the bottom of my first post? Now whose not reading?

I usually don't read past a video in a post...I see it now!

VIN
    Quote Originally Posted by Rich_NYS View Post
    I didn't follow any posts before his purchase....did he get any help when looking for a car?
    Interestingly enough, the guy is a long time follower of the forum, and did inquire about a car from the same place that he ultimately purchased his car from, to which he received this advice from our great and glorious PMM:

http://dmctalk.org/showthread.php?62...l=1#post132108

--Josh S.

VIN
    Quote Originally Posted by Michael View Post
    I usually don't read past a video in a post...I see it now!
    I missed that too - sorry Mr. PMM, sir, I promise it won't happen again, sir

--Josh S.

Administrator
    VIN
    Interestingly enough, the guy is a long time follower of the forum, and did inquire about a car from the same place that he ultimately purchased his car from, to which he received this advice from our great and glorious PMM:

http://dmctalk.org/showthread.php?62...l=1#post132108

"Crablorean" that's awesome...LOL!

HAIL!!

VIN
    Blog Entries
    "Crablorean" that's awesome...LOL!

HAIL!!
    The crablorean is somewhat of a legend.
    RACIST

Administrator
    VIN
    Interestingly enough, the guy is a long time follower of the forum, and did inquire about a car from the same place that he ultimately purchased his car from,

I remember this guy now, and I read through that thread. He outlines his present & potential cash situation [at that time] in the first post. He also mentions his shipping cost would be $4K USD. He was looking to buy a project car in the 10K-18K range and mentions he can do the repair work himself.

http://dmctalk.org/showthread.php?62...-need-DeLorean

Unless something has changed, the money he spent so far is less than half of what he has budgeted and he's right where he wants to be on the purchase price (2x what I would've paid.) I think he's going to break even from a $$ standpoint, but he's already ahead of the game from a "satisfaction" standpoint. A dude that makes an 8-minute video is committed; I think we'll be seeing that car at 90% within 2 years and he won't go broke doing it, yo.

He got what he wanted, so I'm happy for him.

VIN
    Blog Entries
    Well like I said all along. If he wants the fun of restoration and to experience the journey that's one thing. I personally think he would have been miles (and years) ahead to buy one of the many drivers out there for about the same money that no doubt still need a lot of work, but at least you knew up front it ran and drove. He would have been even better off to spend an extra 4 or 5k and bought a decent car to begin with. He would be out right now enjoying it and still have fun in the coming years bringing an 80% car up to 100% rather than bringing a 20% car up to 80%, but that's not for me to say, (but I am anyway).

It's his money and he may have more money than God (he better), so if he is willing to spend the money and time great,... if he is willing. I said it in my first post, he took a big gamble. He could have a complete engine rebuild on his hands, he could have a complete fuel system rebuild to deal with, was that taken into consideration?

Also he never asked about this car, he asked about the black car BHCC had.

I sincerely hope just like I would for any new Delorean owner that he is happy with his car. It just looks like he went out of his way to spend more money on less car.

Here is the original ad with pics of the frame, which ironically is the best part. In fact the panels look good too, maybe there was a lot of shipping damage.

http://www.beverlyhillscarclub.com/1...an--c-3085.htm

On another note, this thread on Today has about 25 more views than the original thread we referenced here even though this one was started like 3+ hours after. That's odd considering they have 4000 members and we only have a few hundred.
    RACIST