Page 1 of 11 123 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 103

Thread: That poor, poor man

  1. #1
    "The Goat" Dead Lesbian Goat's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2014
    Location
    East TN
    VIN
    05609
    Posts
    4,698
    Blog Entries
    6

    That poor, poor man

    Just saw where this dude paid 13,000 for this DeLorean:

    http://dmctalk.org/showthread.php?10...oject-DeLorean



    OK, on Talk he is getting nothing but pats on the back, "Right on Man!" Thumbs up dude!, does anyone not want to tell this fellow what he has gotten himself into here? 13,000 for that?? Now he is justifying it by referencing project vixen which was one hell of a turn around, and one hell of a custom build, but there is a difference, (mainly Vixen didn't cost 13k up front).

    I can fully understand if you want to experience the "Journey" and have all the experience and fun of restoring a DeLorean, and I am certainly not going to knock anyone from doing what makes them happy. The thing is I think this guy has no idea what he is in for here. If he plans on going back stock, just by what I saw in the video he could easily be looking at 6-10k just to get it to move under it's own power. He could get lucky, maybe it will not need a complete fuel system rebuild, but how many times does that happen based on the condition of this car? I just think he took an awful gamble on that one, not to mention we have no idea what the engine compression is or the state of the transmission. That engine bay wiring is downright scary, I would be afraid to look in the relay compartment after seeing that.

    I firmly believe there is money to be made in selling DeLoreans, the trick is to buy the rotted out hulks and resale them "as is" to unsuspecting pie in the sky dreamers. The Bev. Hill car club got THIRTEEN THOUSAND DOLLARS for something not far from a parts car! I'm sure shipping overseas wasn't free either. For the mid teens he could have easily bought a running driver that may be rough around the edges, but still able to fix up and be at least even money(minus labor) when it's all done.

    That car in that condition would be 7 maybe 8k at best. I don't even know what would be considered well bought on this one, maybe 4 or 5k and you might be able to make a few thousand parting it out. if you look closely, those "pings" are massive dents. The hood looks pretty bad but it's hard to see. The video speaks for itself, this guy has a LOT of work on his hands, which he may be ready and willing to do, but is has more than a lot of work needed, it needs a LOT of money.

    Like I said, I don't mean to be harsh, but I think someone needs to pull this guy aside and say "you sure about this?" before he spends any more money on that one.




    Still, could be worse, this guy paid 16k for one in much worse shape. What the hell is wrong with these people?? 16,000 dollars for this:
    http://dmctalk.org/showthread.php?10...what-did-I-buy!

  2. #2
    Administrator
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Location
    Upstate NY
    VIN
    04728
    Posts
    3,796
    Respectfully, I don't think telling the guy he's underwater on day 1 is going to help him much....he appears to have an emotional committment and it looks like he's already into it for the long haul and seems really excited about it. (Just my .02 bro...)

    Helping him with an assessment before he commits is the time for brutal honesty.

    Aside from that; I patted him on the back, but you're right (and on my list of 3 guys I never want to argue with...lol!)

  3. #3
    Ouch Looking at that car hurts

  4. #4
    "The Goat" Dead Lesbian Goat's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2014
    Location
    East TN
    VIN
    05609
    Posts
    4,698
    Blog Entries
    6
    Quote Originally Posted by Rich_NYS View Post
    Respectfully, I don't think telling the guy he's underwater on day 1 is going to help him much....he appears to have an emotional committment and it looks like he's already into it for the long haul and seems really excited about it. (Just my .02 bro...)

    Helping him with an assessment before he commits is the time for brutal honesty.

    Aside from that; I patted him on the back, but you're right (and on my list of 3 guys I never want to argue with...lol!)
    I think it's best to be honest rather than nice, but in my book they go hand and hand. He really should have had someone on Talk or here give him an opinion of that car before he bought it, but it's too late for that. At least you guys could give him an idea of what he is in for. If you are lying to him to spare his feelings then you are doing him a disservice. I would rather someone tell me a hard truth than an easy lie.

    Seriously how many times have you seen someone sink a ton of money into a project and lose interest because it turned into much more than they bargained for? Don't you think they would appreciate someone telling them the other side of the coin BEFORE they find out the hard way? It's still their prerogative to continue but at least they have an idea before hand.

    Again, I tried to convey that without coming off as a mean spirited PMM.

  5. #5
    As seen on TV! Dracula's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Location
    Tomball, TX
    VIN
    3676
    Posts
    4,548
    Blog Entries
    2
    As someone who went out and found the worst DeLorean he could, I can say that he grossly overpaid. My car has a comparable interior, bad shift linkage, non running engine and next to no remaining frame. As such, I paid accordingly.

    While I don't know about the frame on his car, I do know what international shipping costs.

    It was $7,000 to ship 1601 to Europe.

    That means that he has a minimum of $20,000 already invested in that project car.

    To me, that is insane. For that amount of money, my car will be 100% ready to drive anywhere. I could even pay a shop to get it roadworthy for less than their current investment...

    Though, if I can use that as a comparable to determine value, 3676 is now a $10,000 car.
    -Chad K.
    Previous owner of VINS: 6982, 1601, 1265, and 1269

    "Count of Islandia; Colonel of the Defense Forces and Chancellor of Transportation."

  6. #6
    "The Goat" Dead Lesbian Goat's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2014
    Location
    East TN
    VIN
    05609
    Posts
    4,698
    Blog Entries
    6
    Quote Originally Posted by Dracula View Post
    As someone who went out and found the worst DeLorean he could, I can say that he grossly overpaid. My car has a comparable interior, bad shift linkage, non running engine and next to no remaining frame. As such, I paid accordingly.

    While I don't know about the frame on his car, I do know what international shipping costs.

    It was $7,000 to ship 1601 to Europe.

    That means that he has a minimum of $20,000 already invested in that project car.

    To me, that is insane. For that amount of money, my car will be 100% ready to drive anywhere. I could even pay a shop to get it roadworthy for less than their current investment...

    Though, if I can use that as a comparable to determine value, 3676 is now a $10,000 car.
    To be fair, any car would be expensive to ship over whether it's a 5k hulk or a pristine Josh mobile.

  7. #7
    Administrator
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Location
    Upstate NY
    VIN
    04728
    Posts
    3,796
    I forgot about the shipping costs. Definitely makes it worse, and no doubt he totally overpaid. But still, the guy seems pretty excited about it so good for him I say. He seems pretty dedicated, I'm willing to bet he's gonna do a helluva job restoring that car....he seems really committed.

    But ya, definitely should get assessment help(like I did) before committing. Josh & a few others helped me big time and I was above water on day 1 of my purchase.

    I didn't follow any posts before his purchase....did he get any help when looking for a car?
    Last edited by Rich_NYS; 09-06-2014 at 11:41 PM.

  8. #8
    Devout Follower Of He Who Walks Behind The Rows NightFlyer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Location
    Racine County, WI, USA
    VIN
    1798
    Posts
    8,271
    No question that he definitely over-paid for what he received. But as what's done is done, there's really no point in mentioning that now, as Rich stated. But then again, that hasn't stopped Talkers from doing just that (and most recently might I add):

    http://dmctalk.org/showthread.php?10...what-did-I-buy!

    That guy paid even more ($16k) for a car in much worse shape (completely rotted frame).

    That said, I don't think that this one is a parts car and I do think that it could be put back to 90%+ like new condition for a reasonable parts and specialized labor (stainless work, fascia paint) investment, though if he's not doing the generalized labor and engine work himself (which I didn't see too many tools in that garage, and it didn't exactly instill confidence when he was consistently mis-identifying parts in the video), then it will most certainly get to be prohibitively expensive (or at least in excess of the value of the finished product).

    Then again, he's in New Zealand, and the value of D's is much greater over there than over here because of the limited supply, but then again, there also isn't a huge demand for them over there either (relatively speaking, and when compared to other overseas markets such as Japan, the UK, and European nations).
    "Driving Concours - proving it's possible with every mile!"

    --Josh S.
    #1798

  9. #9
    Devout Follower Of He Who Walks Behind The Rows NightFlyer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Location
    Racine County, WI, USA
    VIN
    1798
    Posts
    8,271
    Quote Originally Posted by Michael View Post
    I think it's best to be honest rather than nice, but in my book they go hand and hand. He really should have had someone on Talk or here give him an opinion of that car before he bought it, but it's too late for that. At least you guys could give him an idea of what he is in for. If you are lying to him to spare his feelings then you are doing him a disservice. I would rather someone tell me a hard truth than an easy lie.

    Seriously how many times have you seen someone sink a ton of money into a project and lose interest because it turned into much more than they bargained for? Don't you think they would appreciate someone telling them the other side of the coin BEFORE they find out the hard way? It's still their prerogative to continue but at least they have an idea before hand.

    Again, I tried to convey that without coming off as a mean spirited PMM.
    Definitely - I always prefer brutal honesty to abject cheer-leading.

    In this case though, the best way to be honest with him would be to provide him with an objective and detailed cost-analysis of his situation, kinda like how I did for Rich before he bought his car (which BTW @Rich, are you still within the repair/replacement cost estimate that I gave you?).

    If the guy is in for $20k already, he could probably stick another $10k into the car and still come out even by virtue of his limited supply market.
    "Driving Concours - proving it's possible with every mile!"

    --Josh S.
    #1798

  10. #10
    As seen on TV! Dracula's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Location
    Tomball, TX
    VIN
    3676
    Posts
    4,548
    Blog Entries
    2
    Quote Originally Posted by NightCrier View Post
    No question that he definitely over-paid for what he received. But as what's done is done, there's really no point in mentioning that now, as Rich stated. But then again, that hasn't stopped Talkers from doing just that (and most recently might I add):

    http://dmctalk.org/showthread.php?10...what-did-I-buy!

    That guy paid even more ($16k) for a car in much worse shape (completely rotted frame).

    That said, I don't think that this one is a parts car and I do think that it could be put back to 90%+ like new condition for a reasonable parts and specialized labor (stainless work, fascia paint) investment, though if he's not doing the generalized labor and engine work himself (which I didn't see too many tools in that garage, and it didn't exactly instill confidence when he was consistently mis-identifying parts in the video), then it will most certainly get to be prohibitively expensive (or at least in excess of the value of the finished product).

    Then again, he's in New Zealand, and the value of D's is much greater over there than over here because of the limited supply, but then again, there also isn't a huge demand for them over there either (relatively speaking, and when compared to other overseas markets such as Japan, the UK, and European nations).
    Now THAT "car" is worse than mine. I don't care how rare they are in Norway, there's no excuse for the price he paid.

    For the first car mentioned, if the $13k includes shipping, it's not bad. I sold a '70 Cadillac hearse to a fellow in Australia and he had to pay $7,500 just to get that rust bucket.
    -Chad K.
    Previous owner of VINS: 6982, 1601, 1265, and 1269

    "Count of Islandia; Colonel of the Defense Forces and Chancellor of Transportation."

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •