7. You may not vote on this poll

7 100.00%
  • Dislike

0 0%
Page 2 of 14 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Thread: Ford Duraspark Ignition

Devout Follower Of He Who Walks Behind The Rows NightFlyer's Avatar
    VIN
    I like the idea! Definitely need to get into Lansing one of these days to check out FABombjoy's car - BTW, good to see you on this forum!
    "Driving Concours - proving it's possible with every mile!"

--Josh S.

VIN
    Quote Originally Posted by stevedmc View Post
    That sounds pretty fancy. So are you able to eliminate your distributor completely with the MSD setup? How on earth do you time the thing? Laptop?
    I'm using the 6530, and what you can do is set a retard curve. I have my distributor over advanced and then dialed back down to 12deg at idle.

I also have a 2 bar MAP sensor connected which will be used when I get my turbo setup finally sorted out.

Some people use the 6530, completely lock out the distributor and have fully programmable ignition. I was concerned about phasing with the small odd-fire cap and rotor, so I've left the mechanical stuff intact and simply use the MSD to + or - the timing a few degrees here and there.

VIN
    Quote Originally Posted by NightFlyer View Post
    I like the idea! Definitely need to get into Lansing one of these days to check out FABombjoy's car - BTW, good to see you on this forum!
    Heck yeah, you got that car out of storage yet?

Devout Follower Of He Who Walks Behind The Rows NightFlyer's Avatar
    VIN
    Quote Originally Posted by FABombjoy View Post
    Heck yeah, you got that car out of storage yet?
    Not yet - it should be with me in Michigan as of August 3rd. Managed to get off work July 28-Aug 3 for a trip to Wisco to finally awaken it from its winter slumber. While there, I plan on running the car down the quarter mile (Great Lakes Dragaway, Union Grove, WI) against Chad's stage II. We'll also be putting his Bricklin against a DeLorean or two. Should be one hell of a time and a great prelude to Woodward

Anyone who'll be in SE Wisco the week I'll be there is welcome to join us at the track!
    "Driving Concours - proving it's possible with every mile!"

--Josh S.

VIN
    My junk yard had two Volvo 240s which I pulled water pump pulleys from. I checked the pin out on the ignition modules and the spacing looked a bit different. This item is identical to what I saw.

Attachment 147
    Is that the module Bosch made to replace our ignition control? I think they called it "IG-B014"
    No matter how many people believe in a dumb idea ... it is still a dumb idea!

VIN
    I'm not sure. The spacing of the pins look a lot different than ours. I assumed it wouldn't fit our connector because of this.
    Rest assured, we have a backup of Farrar's car blog and it will be restored in the near future. (Steve Rice - March 2016)
    Rest assured, we have a backup of Shep's posts and all of them will be restored in the near future. (Steve Rice - March 2017)

VIN
    Here is a picture of the Bosch IG-B014 module:
    Bosch Ign Mod.jpg

In this case it is mounted on our ignition module base/heat exchanger.

None-the less it is the connector we need.I'm pretty much resigned to go to the salvage yard and paying $45 for a connector :-)

VIN
    Awesome. Now where on earth can we find IG-B014? I don't see it anywhere on eBay.
    Rest assured, we have a backup of Farrar's car blog and it will be restored in the near future. (Steve Rice - March 2016)
    Rest assured, we have a backup of Shep's posts and all of them will be restored in the near future. (Steve Rice - March 2017)

VIN
    Awesome. Now where on earth can we find IG-B014? I don't see it anywhere on eBay.
    I had the same problem. I think it is more popular in Europe. Plus I can't find any description on its functionality compared to a GM or Ford controller.

FWIW ... I'm leaning towards a GM 7 or 8 pin and set it up as a 4 pin. I "think" that if you don't connect the remaining three/four pins that it operates like a 4 pin module yet you have future proofing should you install a Megasquirt. One option I have considered is using Megasquirt for the singular purpose of computer controlled ignition. Why? ... Just because.

Suffered a slight setback on the Southern Louisiana Joint Force Duraspark Ignition Module Adapter: harness connector on a Bosch 0 227 100 018 is slightly smaller than 0 227 100 019 (about 1/8"). Doesn't sound like much, but it's enough to throw off all the keyways. I may be able to get it to work by filing the keyways off, but it would then be up to the boys down there to ensure the damn thing wasn't upside down when plugging it in (I'll see if the center keyway can be salvaged, which would prevent that).

Bill Robertson