Voters
7. You may not vote on this poll

7 100.00%
  • Dislike

0 0%
Page 1 of 14 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: Ford Duraspark Ignition

Ford Duraspark Ignition

Byrne Heninger and I both run Ford Duraspark ignition modules in our DeLoreans. We use custom adapters to mate the Duraspark ECU's to completely unmodified harnesses:

Byrne's adapter:
    ByrneDuraspark2.jpg ByrneDuraspark.jpg

Mine:
    BillDuraspark1.jpg BillDuraspark2.jpg

Byrne removed his dead Bosch ECU from the car (yes, Bosch ignition modules *DO* die) -- that's what I used to make my adapter. My Bosch ECU still works, so I've left it in place as a backup:

BillDuraspark3.jpg

If my Duraspark module ever fails, they are stock items at any parts house (Duraspark was Ford's breakerless ignition system until 1985, AMC's breakerless ignition on domestic models until 1987, and Chrysler also used it on some models). At one time modules cost $15, but now they cost nearly $30. I will simply plug my Bosch ECU back in, drive to the nearest Autozone, and swap it out under warranty.

Bill Robertson
    Last edited by Greasy DeLorean Mechanic; 07-13-2013 at 12:08 PM.

VIN
    I wish I could find a place to source that connector from. I've been to the junk yard twice and have not been able to find a compatible ignition module.
    Rest assured, we have a backup of Farrar's car blog and it will be restored in the near future. (Steve Rice - March 2016)
    Rest assured, we have a backup of Shep's posts and all of them will be restored in the near future. (Steve Rice - March 2017)

Are you sure 4 cylinder Volvo's of the same vintage don't use the same Bosch ECU (or something with identical harness connection)? All you need is 6 pins and the orienting keyways. Doesn't matter what's inside the ECU itself, working or not -- everything else gets thrown away. There are only two Volvo's in my local junkyard, and one of them is a diesel. The other one is PRV (one of these days I am going to see if the engine still turns) and donated the ECU for Byrne's adapter.

Suitable Bosch's ECU's are all over eBay, but they're typically at least $50.

Bill Robertson

VIN
    I went searching for a Bosch module to sac to make an MSD adapter. The ones that match our cars are harder to find as the outer two terminals are wider, and it seems that other modules contemporary to ours have pins that are all the same size. At least, this is what I gathered from looking at the connectors on eBay listed ignition ECUs and some of the Volvo literature.

In the end I just sac'ed my own module and called it good.

VIN
    My junk yard had two Volvo 240s which I pulled water pump pulleys from. I checked the pin out on the ignition modules and the spacing looked a bit different. This item is identical to what I saw.

$(KGrHqV,!rMFENYMzBOTBRecoR8Fcw~~60_35.JPG

The good news is my local junk yard has an online search function. I can search inventory from time to time to see if a Volvo 265 ever pops up.
    Rest assured, we have a backup of Farrar's car blog and it will be restored in the near future. (Steve Rice - March 2016)
    Rest assured, we have a backup of Shep's posts and all of them will be restored in the near future. (Steve Rice - March 2017)

VIN
    Quote Originally Posted by FABombjoy View Post
    In the end I just sac'ed my own module and called it good.
    Was there anything wrong with your Bosch module? I'm tempted to sacrifice mine, but these things sell for at least $100 on eBay.

Right now mine works fine but I like the idea of being able to walk into AutoZone for a new ignition module should mine fail.

VIN
    Nothing wrong per say, but I wanted the programmable MSD to do a host of tricks. Right now I am using it to emulate the B28E distributor. Even running the stock curve the difference was immediately evident.

VIN
    That sounds pretty fancy. So are you able to eliminate your distributor completely with the MSD setup? How on earth do you time the thing? Laptop?

If you don't mind cutting into your original harness, just splice in any six pin connector (or even six individual connectors). You would then have two adapters: one for the Bosch ECU and one for the Duraspark ECU.

I couldn't have done that myself because pontificators and prevaricators were already taking up pitchforks against me for "ruining my car," "reducing its resale value" (why are other people so concerned about selling my car?), "making something the vendors aren't willing to work on," etc ad naseum. At least this way I can plug my Bosch ECU back in and throw all evidence of Duraspark in the bushes before lynching.

Bill Robertson

VIN
    Blog Entries
    I like this idea and will have to see about it in the near-future as a preventative measure.
    -Chad K.
    Previous owner of VINS: 6982, 1601, 1265, and 1269

Dammit, Jim. I'm an undertaker, not a mechanic.