Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 567

Thread: Convert Your A/C System to Use an Alternative Refrigerant

VIN
    Thanks Guys!
    I will stay away from that pump.

Quote Originally Posted by 2628 View Post
    What are you guys take on this A/C pump?

http://m.ebay.com/itm/360724846702?nav=SEARCH
    They do work very good but as suggested, not for long term use. They take a very large compressor and use a lot of air.
    Dave M vin 03572
    http://dm-eng.weebly.com/

VIN
    I don't mind, a little background though, that reading was at night at 1 fan speed and it was at least 80 with high humidity. During the day that sucker struggles to put out under fifty degrees. Granted it's 100 out. Haha. Still rewarding though!

Devout Follower Of He Who Walks Behind The Rows NightFlyer's Avatar
    VIN
    Quote Originally Posted by gamerguy51 View Post
    I don't mind, a little background though, that reading was at night at 1 fan speed and it was at least 80 with high humidity. During the day that sucker struggles to put out under fifty degrees. Granted it's 100 out. Haha. Still rewarding though!
    Great point - sun vs no-sun makes a HUGE difference with our cars, as they're otherwise like stainless steel ovens in the sun (just ask ex-fiance #1 that had to suffer with me in 100F heat/humidity on the trip to Mount Rushmore).

Yeah, I don't think our stock/oem low pressure switches are ranged very well for R-152a, which is why you're getting below freezing temps at 80F and 50F vent temps when it's 100F. I've been looking for a better ranged LPS to work with R-152a that will fit in our application, but so far have struck out (the ones I've come across won't fit)

Like you said though - still rewarding and in 100F heat/humidity/sun, 50F air feels awesome - definitely keeps you from sweating.

Of course, you could always adjust the LPS lower during higher heat/humidity/sun during the day, and then dial it up at night, as access isn't too bad and doesn't require jacking the car up (unless you have a lowered front end).

If I ever do find a better ranged LPS that would allow us to avoid adjustment, I'll definitely post it to the forum.
    "Driving Concours - proving it's possible with every mile!"

--Josh S.

I don't think adjusting the low pressure switch changes the amount of BTUs of cooling unless your cycling the compressor to soon. I think it's just to prevent icing up the evaporator. On those 100 degree days, my compressor does not cycle. With the fan speed on low on a cool day it will cycle.
    Dave M vin 03572
    http://dm-eng.weebly.com/

Devout Follower Of He Who Walks Behind The Rows NightFlyer's Avatar
    VIN
    Quote Originally Posted by Bitsyncmaster View Post
    I don't think adjusting the low pressure switch changes the amount of BTUs of cooling unless your cycling the compressor to soon. I think it's just to prevent icing up the evaporator. On those 100 degree days, my compressor does not cycle. With the fan speed on low on a cool day it will cycle.
    You're adjusting the LPS based on compressor cut out. If it's adjusted too high, the compressor is going to cycle off before the system reaches the effective/efficient pressure differential in the system that the refrigerant relies upon to operate at its most effective/efficient cooling capacity, right?

I honestly don't know - I'm just applying the operational theory to what little I do know, but admittedly have very little actual experience on the subject
    "Driving Concours - proving it's possible with every mile!"

--Josh S.

VIN
    So i'm driving to work today and hear the compressor cycle on and off with a good minute between cycling....and think there's a leak....i'm so used to it being hot that didn't notice it was 75 out and cloudy with a storm front rolling in....still blowing low thirties haha.