View Poll Results: Carbureted PRV

Voters
9. You may not vote on this poll

7 77.78%
  • Dislike

2 22.22%
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Low Cost Maintenance Free Fuel Delivery Installed in an Hour or So

For some reason the EFI boys never could leave us alone on Talk. They trolled the "Ask Bill About Carburetion" thread with total impunity (as previously noted, one of the ostensibly neutral moderators was trolling right along with them).

The one time I tried to report what a Megasquirted owner had told me personally in an EFI thread -- that Megasquirt will never be universally plug & play; every car will need to be tuned individually (hardly trolling, just the assessment of an experienced Megasquirter) -- my post was deleted.

For some reason there is a popular misconception that I am myopically opposed to EFI. MattDavid can attest: while I don't want EFI on my own car, I have no problem with anyone else doing so on theirs. That said, EFI'ers do need to be honest:
    1) Major modifications to the car's wiring are necessary
    2) There is a very long setup period
    3) You are thereafter beholden to an onboard computer (typically a third party -- ie: not available at parts houses -- computer)

Bill Robertson

VIN
    Quote Originally Posted by content22207 View Post
    For some reason there is a popular misconception that I am myopically opposed to EFI. MattDavid can attest: while I don't want EFI on my own car, I have no problem with anyone else doing so on theirs.
    Amen. I think EFI is a neat concept but I don't want to be stuck having to support thing thing. I rode in Jim Reeve's car at the DMCMW open house and I was very impressed with the power his car had. I honestly thought I was going to need to change my pants after riding with him.

He had two major advantages over a stock car.

1. He ditched K-Jet.
    2. He had a home brew version of a DMCH Stage II engine.

The result was Jim having a car far better than stock. Do I want to support EFI? No. But hats off to someone who is willing to take the time and tinker with the thing.
    Rest assured, we have a backup of Farrar's car blog and it will be restored in the near future. (Steve Rice - March 2016)
    Rest assured, we have a backup of Shep's posts and all of them will be restored in the near future. (Steve Rice - March 2017)

Ironically charges made against carburetion actually apply to EFI:
    1) Major changes to the car are necessary
    2) It is very proprietary
    3) DMC vendors won't touch it -- Dave Swingle told me himself that he would much rather diagnose a non-running carbureted car than a non-running EFI car

As far as "lowering resale value" is concerned: don't know if any EFI'ers have tried to sell their cars yet, but Del Silveira told me that his carb conversion was a positive selling point when he sold his car in remote British Columbia.

Carburetion is often referred to as "backwards," despite the fact that the particular carburetor I use is not only contemporary to DeLorean manufacture, but it remained in new vehicle manufacture until 1991 (Jeep Wagoneer).

IMHO the myopic opposition is to carburetion, the clearest manifestation of which was the infamous "Ask Bill" thread on the old Talk.com. Had I known that thread would be lost forever I would have saved screen captures.

Bill Robertson
    Last edited by Greasy DeLorean Mechanic; 08-09-2013 at 07:27 PM.

VIN
    future
    Quote Originally Posted by content22207 View Post
    ...IMHO the myopic opposition is to carburetion, the clearest manifestation of which was the infamous "Ask Bill" thread on the old Talk.com. Had I known that thread would be lost forever I would have saved screen captures.
    i think alot of us wouldve done that for a variety of threads. its a shame how much information was lost--or 'lost'--however you want to look at it.
    Obtain-O-Meter: 64%
    as of 2016/08/04
    0%|====|====|====|====|====50%====|====|====|====|====|100%

Devout Follower Of He Who Walks Behind The Rows NightFlyer's Avatar
    VIN
    I'd much rather own a Countach than an Aventador, or any of the new Lambos for that matter.
    "Driving Concours - proving it's possible with every mile!"

--Josh S.

VIN
    Blog Entries
    I love the unbridled speed and power of the Lambo, but I'd never own one. I prefer a more elegant breed of luxury with adequate horsepower.
    -Chad K.
    Previous owner of VINS: 6982, 1601, 1265, and 1269

Dammit, Jim. I'm an undertaker, not a mechanic.

3:45 -- A Countach steers every bit as well as a DeLorean.

Lamborghini at least got that part right.

Bill Robertson

Anyone know the name of the song at 11:23???

Devout Follower Of He Who Walks Behind The Rows NightFlyer's Avatar
    VIN
    Ultimate coolness = a Lamborghini Jalpa, Sylvester Stallone, fine German clothing, cold war tensions, and Robert Tepper.

It just doesn't get any cooler than this:

Maybe I'll trade my DeLorean straight up for a mint Jalpa...

Nah - I'll just get a Jalpa too
    "Driving Concours - proving it's possible with every mile!"

--Josh S.