Voters
9. You may not vote on this poll

7 77.78%
  • Dislike

2 22.22%
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Low Cost Maintenance Free Fuel Delivery Installed in an Hour or So

louielouie2000:

I burned up a fuel pump and switched to a rear mounted one, which is ground directly to the engine. If I burn this one up, I'll say so and search for other ways to ground it in this troublesome plastic car. Apparently, grounding in a plastic car is an issue. http://www.hotrodders.com/forum/bett...is-174237.html

It was a drawback, but a lot less of one than fighting K-Jet for 6 years, and I am still extremely happy with my conversion and am greatful for Bill's efforts on my behalf.

spotlight.on.fuel.pumps.jpg
    Bungee Cup Holder Guru

The link you posted (http://www.hotrodders.com/forum/bett...is-174237.html) is all about ground buses -- one of the best mods I have ever made to my car.

Since we're talking fuel delivery here: ground issues tear the EFI boys up. Even good old fashioned K-Jetters would benefit from better electrical system grounding (Dave McKeen measured a fantastic voltage drop on the OEM pump circuit at the inertia switch -- something like 2-3 volts IIRC. He hasn't run a full bus through the entire vehicle, but he did pull the inertia switch loose and grounded it directly to his frame).

Bill Robertson
    Last edited by Greasy DeLorean Mechanic; 08-06-2013 at 09:16 AM.

VIN
    Quote Originally Posted by SamHill View Post
    I burned up a fuel pump and switched to a rear mounted one, which is ground directly to the engine. If I burn this one up, I'll say so and search for other ways to ground it in this troublesome plastic car.
    If my fuel pump fails again I am switching to a mechanical one. I found an unit on eBay a few months back for $60. A couple of months ago I was showing Stephen Wynne my fuel system and he seemed to love the simplicity. I had already been thinking about switching to a mechanical pump but he brought the idea up on his own. He seemed to agree with me that simplicity can be a better thing.

I'm not putting words in the mans mouth of course, but he didn't really have anything negative to say about my little Ford carburetor other than gas mileage.
    Rest assured, we have a backup of Farrar's car blog and it will be restored in the near future. (Steve Rice - March 2016)
    Rest assured, we have a backup of Shep's posts and all of them will be restored in the near future. (Steve Rice - March 2017)

If you are talking about the Renault pump: I'm pretty sure it is rotary vane. If it has a drive gear on the shaft, it definitely is rotary,

Bill Robertson
    Last edited by Greasy DeLorean Mechanic; 08-06-2013 at 11:26 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by stevedmc View Post
    If my fuel pump fails again I am switching to a mechanical one.
    Does the mechanical fuel pump have a rubber diaphragm inside it? Ethanol will eat those up.

Later today I will pop the access plate off and see what's on the camshaft. If it's a lobe, the pump is diaphragm. If it's a gear, the pump is rotary.

Bill Robertson

Bad news: there's a lobe behind that access plate -- Renault pump is diaphragm.

(But isn't it nice being able to reach every access point on your engine and quickly pop plates off to answer questions like these...).

Bill Robertson

Karma's a bitch:

Irony.jpg

(This owner trolled viciously against carburetion on the old Talk.com. He also waged a personal vendetta against me on the new .org).

Bill Robertson

VIN
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by content22207 View Post
    Karma's a bitch:

Irony.jpg

(This owner trolled viciously against carburetion on the old Talk.com. He also waged a personal vendetta against me on the new .org).

Bill Robertson
    I have had issues with a few things he's said as well; like how I have to accept that the DeLorean = BTTF and that I couldn't have bought the car and not expected that. I'd like to know how he can speculate on my thought process at the time of purchase and why he thinks he can tell me how I can be a DeLorean owner.
    -Chad K.
    Previous owner of VINS: 6982, 1601, 1265, 1269, and 4590

Dammit, Jim. I'm an undertaker, not a mechanic.

VIN
    Has anyone noticed there are two dislikes on this poll? On DMCToday you can actually disagree with someone without having an argument or being chastised for it.

On the other forum you just get banned or put on moderated status in which your posts never get approved. Moderated status is a way of moderators banning you without any members knowing about it. Ask Sam Hill and he can tell you all about it.
    Rest assured, we have a backup of Farrar's car blog and it will be restored in the near future. (Steve Rice - March 2016)
    Rest assured, we have a backup of Shep's posts and all of them will be restored in the near future. (Steve Rice - March 2017)