Thread: Low Cost Maintenance Free Fuel Delivery Installed in an Hour or So

Low Cost Maintenance Free Fuel Delivery Installed in an Hour or So

Picture is self explanatory:

Bill Robertson

Redneck hack job version:

LouisDuetCarb.jpg

Bill Robertson

"Maintenance-free"? Please explain.

All I do is swap manifolds from time to time (Volvo A and fabricated). Other than that I haven't touched the fuel system in years. Before I grounded the pump directly to the frame I did burn up the motors in a couple, but that hasn't been a problem since 2009. RPM relay also used to give me fits on long distance trips, but it's been bypassed. Fuel filter should probably be replaced. I also had to pull my tuna fish baffle out of the tank to photograph it and prove someone wrong that it is disintegrating.

I do buy gas.

Other than that it's turn the key and go.

Bill Robertson

So you never have to replace the needle valve? Or the float? Or the gasket? I've replaced all three on mine.

How long do you go between carburetor rebuilds? I'd consider rebuilding a carburetor to be maintenance. What about intake manifold O-rings? I've replaced mine because they get nicked when I remove and replace the manifold.

Apparently, I'm cursed.

Volvo manifold has the exact same carburetor in the exact same condition that I bolted down in June 2004. Hasn't let me down since. I spent a couple of months experimenting with different jet sizes, but been running .049" ever since.

Fabricated manifold has the carb I put together for DCS'12. It's actually Louis Duet's manifold that we swapped out at DMA FF'12 (what is it with you people who assume there's something wrong with your fuel delivery system when the problem actually lies elsewhere -- in Louis' case base ignition time -- must be K-Jet flashbacks). Obviously Louis didn't think his carb was so terrible that he didn't want to keep it on the other manifold.

So yes, in my case carburetion has been maintenance free.

Bill Robertson
    Last edited by Greasy DeLorean Mechanic; 07-13-2013 at 08:23 PM.

Yep, I'm definitely cursed.

Just received word that an EFI user on another forum is having fuel delivery problems that have rendered his car virtually undriveable. Sure looks like Karma payback to me:
    - Carb users were generally treated very badly on that forum, including trolling and taunts from the ostensibly neutral moderator himself (note to DMCToday moderators: your job is to minimize bad behavior, not facilitate and encourage it)
    - That user in particular has a personal vendetta against me, going sofar as to spend inordinate amounts of time researching proxy servers and reporting them to moderators (like many carb users, I have been permabanned from that forum)

Carburetion may not be perfect, but as long as you have fuel in the bowl(s) and air passing through the venturis, you *WILL* have fuel delivery.

In a crisis situation, even the fuel pump itself is optional:

LincolnLimpHome.jpg

(Torn mechanical pump diaphragm -- thank you so much ethanol. I limped the car 5-6 miles home like this).

Bill Robertson

VIN
    formerly 10115 & 5252
    Quote Originally Posted by content22207 View Post
    Before I grounded the pump directly to the frame I did burn up the motors in a couple, but that hasn't been a problem since 2009.
    You burned up a fuel pump when we went to New Orleans in '10. Farrar's car also killed a fuel pump that trip. That seems to be the one drawback of your carb conversions: the fuel pumps.

Ethanol is the culprit. Kills the seal on the Airtex pump pistons (Airtex's low pressure pumps are piston action, not rotary vane). Before ethanol I ran the same pump from June 2004 until mid 2008 no problem, at which time it was a piece of epoxy from Hervey's pickup sock that killed that one (also killed several K-Jetters pumps, thank you very much).

Ethanol also splits mechanical fuel pump diaphragms (that's what happened to my Lincoln in the above pic, as well as my AMC).

Blame ethanol, not carburetion.

Farrar and Steve have converted to low pressure rotary vane fuel pumps, which may well be the only pumps capable of withstanding alcohol exposure. High pressure fuel injection pumps are all rotary vane.

FWIW: Rumor has it Houston is having all sorts of problems with their new integrated pump/sender unit too. I am told an owner on Talk has been through three already.

Bill Robertson
    Last edited by Greasy DeLorean Mechanic; 08-06-2013 at 08:57 AM.