Voters
11. You may not vote on this poll

7 63.64%
  • Dislike

4 36.36%
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Jet Black Carpets ***Merged with Black Dyed Carpets***

VIN
    Bill, you didn't happen to throw in that oversized 2"X3" DMC carburation sticker did you? Just thought I'd ask. :P
    Lou and "Boo" - The man you love to hate.

Boo- The car you love to hate.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    "Boo"-VIN 5835
    'Fastest naturally aspirated PRV'
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    "Blue"-1985 Fiero GT
    3800sc swap
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    "Spalding"-1973 MG Midget
    All original

VIN
    Blog Entries
    I'm going to be dying my carpets as soon as I figure out whether or not I have to buy a "new" set. I wouldn't have to buy new ones if it weren't for the fact that someone decided to glue the floor mats in place...

IMG_20150318_131429505.jpg
    -Chad K.
    Previous owner of VINS: 6982, 1601, 1265, and 1269

Dammit, Jim. I'm an undertaker, not a mechanic.

You save somewhere between $600 and $700 dying your old carpets, but it's hellluva lot of work.

Primary reason I did mine was to prove a certain self proclaimed guru wrong (he insists it can't be done). Plus I know factory carpets fit perfectly.

Bill Robertson

VIN
    Blog Entries
    Right now, I have an excess of time and a shortage of money until the 6th. As a result, I've gotten a lot of smaller cosmetic work performed on my cars.
    -Chad K.

VIN
    I've done a similar thing with the carpets from #4463. The sill carpets were quite badly faded, and the drivers footwell carpet was heavily stained from a clutch master leak.

With the carpets stripped out of the car, these were first cleaned and allowed to dry fully.

I then re-dyed them with charcoal grey carpet dye. Technically the colour is more accurate for a black interior car, but with some of the interior components refitted, I think it look's pretty good - cost wise it was about $80 in dye.

DSC_0038.jpg

DSC_0123.jpg

DSC_0128.jpg

DSC_0338.jpg

DSC_0343.jpg

DSC_0352.jpg

#4463's carpets look fantastic! Well done!
    DeLorean status: awaiting engine replacement.

Hire my voice!

In the United States most people use store bought RIT brand fabric dye. Works really well on natural fibers, but synthetic fibers can be a challenge. The secret is to use a lot of vinegar to increase the concentration of acetic acid (softens the fibers so the dye can penetrate) and to heat the dye solution before every soaking (dye is heat activated). The solution becomes diluted pretty quickly as dye is absorbed by the fibers -- that's how you know it's working -- so you have to keep adding more packages. Some pieces need to be soaked multiple times to get complete coverage, which of course means reheating the solution each time. Rather labor intensive, but you do get away for less than $100.

Bill Robertson
    Last edited by Greasy DeLorean Mechanic; 03-19-2015 at 12:55 PM.

Be very gentle removing carpet from the rear bulkhead panel. It's held on with about a million staples, and if you just pull on the carpet you run a risk of tearing chunks out. Start at one end and work your way across, flipping the carpet back to discover where the staples are, then lever them out with a small screwdriver and pull them the rest of the way with pliers after the crown is exposed.

Bill Robertson

VIN
    Quote Originally Posted by Farrar View Post
    #4463's carpets look fantastic! Well done!
    Thanks, as Bill said it is quite time consuming to do, but worth it for what you save. I am reasonably pleased with the results.

Quote Originally Posted by content22207 View Post
    Be very gentle removing carpet from the rear bulkhead panel. It's held on with about a million staples, and if you just pull on the carpet you run a risk of tearing chunks out. Start at one end and work your way across, flipping the carpet back to discover where the staples are, then lever them out with a small screwdriver and pull them the rest of the way with pliers after the crown is exposed.

Bill Robertson
    +1 on that!

VIN
    Blog Entries
    I already have the carpet off; salt water will eat through staples with prejudice. Since I'm having no luck with the glue, a call to DMCMW is in order; unless someone here wants to sell a set of floor carpets.
    -Chad K.