Thread: Recall Notice, FAN RELAY

Recall Notice, FAN RELAY

I was making a software change to filter the input signal because some cars seem to have noise on that line even when you turn the engine off, the fans keep running. Well I put that software change into one unit and will send that unit off to see if it fixes that problem in that car.

Anyway, I ran across a software bug that could cause the fans not to go on. It's a rare occurrence but I don't want anyone to have that problem. So I recommend you remove my solid state fan relay (painted brown) and use a standard mechanical relay until you send the solid state one back for a software update.

The problem can happen when one signal (the AC or otterstat) turns off and the other one turns on within 1 or 2 seconds of the first one turning off.

Sorry about this inconvenience.
    Dave M vin 03572
    http://dm-eng.weebly.com/

You are a hero, Dave. I admire your integrity.

Devout Follower Of He Who Walks Behind The Rows NightFlyer's Avatar
    VIN
    Big kudos to Dave - he is the man!

Most vendors/suppliers would just issue instructions to not turn the A/C on/off until after the fans had already cycled and/or when the temp gauge was reading on the 'normal' line.

But being the kind of guy that he is, Dave issues a recall for a flash upgrade of the software.

Very admirable
    "Driving Concours - proving it's possible with every mile!"

--Josh S.

Glad that you've made a post to alert everyone. I was going to make this a sticky, but wasn't 100% confident that this was the best place. Perhaps in another section.

Devout Follower Of He Who Walks Behind The Rows NightFlyer's Avatar
    VIN
    Quote Originally Posted by sedated View Post
    Glad that you've made a post to alert everyone. I was going to make this a sticky, but wasn't 100% confident that this was the best place. Perhaps in another section.
    Good call - I made it a sticky here, as it's the most frequented section of the forum, even though it's probably better suited in the Modification section.
    "Driving Concours - proving it's possible with every mile!"

--Josh S.

I got a returned fan relay and only a return address on the shipping label:

ROYAL MAIL LLC
    SHIPPING MANAGER
    828 ROYAL ST
    NEW ORLEANS LA 70116

Anyone know who this is? Do I just return it to that same return shipping label?
    Dave M vin 03572

VIN
    No clue but it would be nice to know who the owner is. He or she is more than welcome to join our Louisiana group.
    Rest assured, we have a backup of Farrar's car blog and it will be restored in the near future. (Steve Rice - March 2016)
    Rest assured, we have a backup of Shep's posts and all of them will be restored in the near future. (Steve Rice - March 2017)

I found the sender. This was an overseas unit and was mailed in the USA by a relative on travel. It's sometimes hard to keep track of orders since they come from the forums, email and facebook.
    Dave M vin 03572