• Agree

1 50.00%
  • Disagree

1 50.00%

Thread: Remove Top Throttle Spool Spring for Lighter Pedal

Remove Top Throttle Spool Spring for Lighter Pedal

I was inspired by this post:

http://www.dmchelp.com/showthread.ph...Heavy-throttle

Having had several cars which were decades newer than the DeLorean, I could never get used to the heavier throttle that comes from having a ~10 ft long cable with four springs. Dennis's modification works as advertised. The car is much more comfortable to drive after removing the uppermost spring from the throttle spool. Less tension on the cable also means less wear over time.

Devout Follower Of He Who Walks Behind The Rows NightFlyer's Avatar
    VIN
    Hmmm... I honestly don't know how I feel about this one. Part of the fun of driving of the car is its old-school mechanical feel/nature, as we all know there isn't much performance to have fun with This mod appears to give the pedal the feel of a modern electronic throttle control - something I personally still don't like very much about my modern vehicles.

I think I'll hold off on this one.
    "Driving Concours - proving it's possible with every mile!"

--Josh S.

Since DMCHelp is now dead, is there somewhere else that this mod has been posted for public consumption?
    DeLorean status: awaiting engine replacement.

Hire my voice!

Quote Originally Posted by Farrar View Post
    Since DMCHelp is now dead, is there somewhere else that this mod has been posted for public consumption?
    All it requires is removing the topmost (visible) throttle spool spring. The underside spring, as well as well as the actual spring on the throttle body don't need to be touched, and provide plenty of return power unless your cable is totally worn out. Easy to reverse if you don't like the feel. I don't like the heavy throttle pedal because it's harder to "feather" it with a 5-speed car.

VIN
    Quote Originally Posted by NightFlyer View Post
    there isn't much performance to have fun with
    Strange, with my car there is. Maybe we should race. Only if we were closer.

A V8 Firebird wanted to race me today while driving Boo to motor vehicles to register the Fiero. Now that's just unfair competition.
    Lou and "Boo" - The man you love to hate.

Boo- The car you love to hate.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    "Boo"-VIN 5835
    'Fastest naturally aspirated PRV'
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    "Blue"-1985 Fiero GT
    3800sc swap
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    "Spalding"-1973 MG Midget
    All original

VIN
    I disconnected the return spring at the pedal, mainly so the pedal will drop when using cruise control. Before doing so the throttle cable was more likely to jump out of the spool.
    -Luke / 10270 / Turbo / EFI