Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Concours Judging - DCS'14 & NightFlyer's Car

VIN
    Blog Entries
    I really want to see this car of Josh's now.
    Starvation, overpopulation, pollution, global warming, communisim,...all DMCTalk.com's fault

Administrator
    VIN
    Quote Originally Posted by Michael View Post
    I really want to see this car of Josh's now.
    P6131136.jpg

VIN
    Quote Originally Posted by Rich_NYS View Post
    The second-best part was you shouting out at the crowd after getting your award:

Attachment 2237 )
    Is that josh in the white Miami vice getup? Is that photo shopped to make him appear super short? The DMC Today room photo makes him look tall. He looks like the size of Joe Peschi (spelling) in that pic? What the hell?

Looks like he trying to reach up to talk into the microphone. Or is he just not up on a stage like the rest of the guys behind him. That pic does NOT do Josh justice.
    Now we’ve had just ‘bout enough of that !

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    "Boo"-VIN 5835
    'Fastest naturally aspirated PRV'
    So Damn Loud
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    "Blue"-1985 Fiero GT
    3800sc swap
    So Damn Fast
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    "Spalding"-1973 MG Midget
    All original
    So Damn Tiny

Administrator
    VIN
    Quote Originally Posted by Lou and "Boo" View Post
    Is that josh in the white Miami vice getup? Is that photo shopped to make him appear super short? The DMC Today room photo makes him look tall. He looks like the size of Joe Peschi (spelling) in that pic? What the hell?

Looks like he trying to reach up to talk into the microphone. Or is he just not up on a stage like the rest of the guys behind him. That pic does NOT do Josh justice.

He's standing next to the stage shouting out at the crowd.

It's not a good pic but I did the best I could, he didn't give any warning that he was going to stop and chastise the crowd on the way back to his seat...lol!

Don't fret, me brother....he's "all that & a bag of chips" in person.
    Last edited by Rich_NYS; 08-16-2014 at 11:00 PM.

Devout Follower Of He Who Walks Behind The Rows NightFlyer's Avatar
    VIN
    Quote Originally Posted by Michael View Post
    Wow, that's an interesting click you are trying to get in to. I say piss on them. That type of attitude is why I don't compete in car shows in general...and I'm almost done with scale model shows too. When you think about the attitudes, the GOD status the judges bestow upon themselves, the favoritism and I've never even been to a DCS, just car shows in general. I get the feeling from you the judges know you want to be certified, if they like you they will work with you. If they don't like you they will deduct whatever they can to keep it from you. Sounds like they didn't like you. I bet that little hangup about where you parked and them having to "work overtime" probably put them in a foul mood from the beginning.

Long story short, it's not what you show it's who you know.
    In their defense, they're trying to make it more fair and consistent by NOW allowing no exceptions (when exactly that started, I'm not really sure, but I was told that it has been that way at the last several events), even if fully documented and verified - which I can go along with so long as it's consistently applied.

As far as changing specific rules/values is concerned, such as with the battery, well, that's something that I definitely take issue with, and I believe rightfully so. I also don't like how the manual sometimes awards presentability more than it does originality, but again, so long as it's consistently applied and not changed for the convenience of certain individuals, then I'm even OK with that.

However, what I'd like to see is two different classes within the concours judging - one for museum/trailer queens, and the other for cars that actually see regular use as a car. Bottom line is that anyone can take a car, stick it in a bubble, trailer it to events, and have it appear perfect/flawless. That honestly doesn't take too much effort to accomplish, other than a bank account and the will/desire to do something like that.

But to actually drive a car as original as mine is - that takes a high tolerance for risk, as well as a passion/dedication/eccentricity that goes above and beyond the typical collector car owner. Thus, IMHO, that should be rewarded just as much, if not more so, than the guys with perfectly preserved trailer queens. But like I said, that's just my honest opinion. I know that my car (currently with 20k on the clock) will never be as perfect as that 125 mile car that only received a single point deduction - but that's expected and a no-brainer. The difference is that I had FUN driving my car to the show, drag racing my car, giving hot chicks rides in my car, and a whole slew of other experiences that the owner of the 125 mile car will never know. How many guys can honestly say that they're still driving a car as original as mine - neither of the other two concours entrants had factory original NCTs, belts, coolant hoses, and door struts like I did.

As I asked one of the judges - how many parts does it take being replaced/upgraded/modified before you're no longer driving a DeLorean DMC-12, but rather a resto-modded Giugiaro design on a Lotus chassis?
    "You can never use too much anti-seize!"

--Josh S.

Quote Originally Posted by Lou and "Boo" View Post

Yes that is Josh, in person he is a little guy like that photo shows only about 5 foot tall (with shoes on) I believe .

Administrator
    VIN
    Josh, did you skim over the pics I recently posted in this thread?
    Last edited by Rich_NYS; 06-23-2014 at 09:16 PM.

VIN
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by NightFlyer View Post

However, what I'd like to see is two different classes within the concours judging - one for museum/trailer queens, and the other for cars that actually see regular use as a car. Bottom line is that anyone can take a car, stick it in a bubble, trailer it to events, and have it appear perfect/flawless. That honestly doesn't take too much effort to accomplish, other than a bank account and the will/desire to do something like that.

But to actually drive a car as original as mine is - that takes a high tolerance for risk, as well as a passion/dedication/eccentricity that goes above and beyond the typical collector car owner. Thus, IMHO, that should be rewarded just as much, if not more so, than the guys with perfectly preserved trailer queens. But like I said, that's just my honest opinion. I know that my car (currently with 20k on the clock) will never be as perfect as that 125 mile car that only received a single point deduction - but that's expected and a no-brainer. The difference is that I had FUN driving my car to the show, drag racing my car, giving hot chicks rides in my car, and a whole slew of other experiences that the owner of the 125 mile car will never know. How many guys can honestly say that they're still driving a car as original as mine - neither of the other two concours entrants had factory original NCTs, belts, coolant hoses, and door struts like I did.

As I asked one of the judges - how many parts does it take being replaced/upgraded/modified before you're no longer driving a DeLorean DMC-12, but rather a resto-modded Giugiaro design on a Lotus chassis?
    This is why, when I was in charge of the car show portion at DCS '09, I reworked the criteria to focus solely on the cars being used and appreciated. I had to stay within the categories that certain people mandate exist, but the criteria was re-written to favor using the car instead of rolling it out of a garage and on to a trailer every two years to win an award.

Eventually, if you swap enough parts, you get something that meets a set of criteria that only means something to individuals who can sit four to a bar stool and can't be used for fear of scratches or marring the artificial "originality" of their stainless steel wrapped couch on wheels because, at that point, it's no longer a car.
    -Chad K.
    Previous owner of VINS: 6982, 1601, 1265, and 1269

"Count of Islandia; Colonel of the Defense Forces and Chancellor of Transportation."

VIN
    The second-best part was you shouting out at the crowd after getting your award:

Attachment 2237
    (There was an available mic nearby ya know......)

I might've been imagining, but it also seemed like there was a bit of angry chatter over in the area of that table.....almost like there was a few guys disgruntled about you not getting higher honors due to the QAC stuff.

-Were Chris & Jeff the only QAC guys there?
    -If there was other QAC guys, were they at the same table?

FWIW, you can disgregard anything less-than-awesome from the judging....the poll of public opinion is that your car was a highlight of the show (aka: "The Shit.")
    Thanks Rich

Yeah, I knew that there was a mic nearby, but none of the other concours guys used it, thus I didn't want to look like a douche (I let my sense of fashion do that for me). What was even worse is that by that point in the show, I was losing my voice.

Chris and Jeff were the only actual QAC guys at the show that I'm aware of - Craig Haglin, who was the head of west coast operations for DMCL USA, and had a lot of interaction with the Santa Ana QAC (included in his presentation), was there on Saturday night (he was giving his presentation when I left to go back up to the room to shower and change), but he wasn't directly involved with QAC operations.

I actually had several people approach me after the Saturday night events to tell me that my car deserved to win 'best of show,' simply because of the QAC story and my preservation of such peculiarities after-the-fact to this very day. Not to be pompous or self-indulgent or anything like that, but I sincerely agree with that assessment (that's not a slam to Decker's car, as I'm sure it's a very nice car, but it was a $50k DPI restoration with no unique history/story behind it - just a big check and a lot of Josh's labor).

--Josh S.

VIN
    Josh, did you skim over the pics I recently posted in this thread?
    No, no - the car looks great in that pic! You really did an excellent job capturing it's raw beauty

--Josh S.