Thread: DeLorean Muffler: Inside View

DeLorean Muffler: Inside View

The muffler I butchered to prove a guru wrong is about to be recycled, so I've photographed it one last time for posterity (original photo is waiting for the Talk.com archives to be restored):

DeLoreanMufflerInside.jpg

I've still got #2508's unbutchered muffler if anyone wants it -- speak up soon or it will be recycled too.

Bill Robertson

Really interesting. Seems like this would create a lot of backpressure. Must be super turbulant in there.

VIN
    Quote Originally Posted by content22207 View Post

I've still got #2508's unbutchered muffler if anyone wants it -- speak up soon or it will be recycled too.

Bill Robertson

What kind of setup is going in their places?

Spec .01

I pulled the engine out of #2508 to facilitate installation. Rusty little manifold studs are screaming "snap us off," which is exactly what I intend to do. Since I won't be using the crossover pipe (mating angles are different side to side), manifolds can be swapped and use all virgin mounting holes. I am seriously considering tapping them out 5/16-24 (virtually identical thread pitch as metric x1 -- very easy tapping) and using Grade 8 studs. McMaster sells nice ones that have 5/16-24 on one end and 5/16-18 on the other, which will be even easier to remove for future gasket replacement (coarse thread).

Bill Robertson

VIN
    Give Henninger a call or put it up on eBay. I think I saw a stock exhaust sell for something like $170 on eBay before. I pretty much gave mine to Henninger just to be nice. I think he restores and sells them.
    Rest assured, we have a backup of Farrar's car blog and it will be restored in the near future. (Steve Rice - March 2016)
    Rest assured, we have a backup of Shep's posts and all of them will be restored in the near future. (Steve Rice - March 2017)

Too late -- I threw it in the scrap metal bin this morning.

Bill Robertson

VIN
    Quote Originally Posted by content22207 View Post
    Spec .01

I pulled the engine out of #2508 to facilitate installation. Rusty little manifold studs are screaming "snap us off," which is exactly what I intend to do. Since I won't be using the crossover pipe (mating angles are different side to side), manifolds can be swapped and use all virgin mounting holes. I am seriously considering tapping them out 5/16-24 (virtually identical thread pitch as metric x1 -- very easy tapping) and using Grade 8 studs. McMaster sells nice ones that have 5/16-24 on one end and 5/16-18 on the other, which will be even easier to remove for future gasket replacement (coarse thread).

Bill Robertson
    Good Lord! Come fix my Manifold Gaskets! Lol.
    And get the Marble out of my Muffler.