Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Change Transaxle Output Shaft Lip Seals

Linux Janitor
    VIN
    Quote Originally Posted by P. J. Grady Inc. View Post
    Actually Matt these are the same ones I've always sold and I'd guess it's been about 15 years. Novadmc must be older than that...especially if he named himself after the Chevy Nova but I don't know about that? They've always been a machined stock flange with an extra heavy stainless sleeve to eliminate any chance of distortion which is the "Achilles heel" of press-on flanges. I'm not sure where the "solid stainless" rumor started but I've heard it before. Urban legends die hard I suppose?
    Rob
    Rob
    the "nova"'s due to living in Northern VA but i do like chevy Nova's and while i am definitely older than 15, my wife says i still act like one a majority of the time.
    Last edited by novadmc; 09-14-2015 at 07:50 AM.

Devout Follower Of He Who Walks Behind The Rows NightFlyer's Avatar
    VIN
    Two things to add here. First I tried placing and order with UIS to see what they are selling as the price seemed too good to be true. Turns out it was as their shopping cart won't let you check out and I was finally informed the site will be going down in a few days as they are out of business.
    Well that SUCKS!!!

I still have the two that I previously purchased from them, and I can assure you that they are correct for our application and are a high quality product - they actually feel heavier and a bit stiffer than the seals that DMCMW sold me. I can post some pics later today.

They also had super fast shipping at no extra cost - mine arrived in the mail two days after I placed the order.

I'm sure if I did some googling, I could probably find another source similar in price to UIS. If not, I'm certain that Pegasus Racing Supply could probably get them for me if they don't already stock them - I know the owners over there and they have done special orders for me in the past.

BTW - Pegasus is a GREAT source for Girling brake parts!

https://www.pegasusautoracing.com/

On a brighter note I have been machining axle flanges for years and installing a heavier stainless sleeve that is impervious to the deformation that the aftermarket sleeve is prone to. I will try to put it up on the website soon for anyone who is interested.
    Rob
    They look GREAT! I probably would have went that route myself, but my original flanges didn't look too bad and cleaned up nicely, as can be seen in my pics.

What do you get for them if you don't mind me asking?
    "Driving Concours - proving it's possible with every mile!"

--Josh S.

VIN
    Quote Originally Posted by Bitsyncmaster View Post
    My drivers side also has that drip after I drive it. It's done that since I've owned the car. Guess I should do the seal replacement since you guys have shown it not to be that hard to do.
    It's not as easy as it looks, but it's not that hard either. Worst parts are removing the old seal, which is made easier by using the Lotus preferred method of tapping a flat-blade screwdriver into the old seal until it bends, and installing the new one, which is made easier with a custom driver tool that I described here OR using Luke's freeze and RTV.

Best luck

--Josh S.

VIN
    Well then, that didn't take too long!

Here are some new sources for low priced transaxle shaft lip seals:

For one:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/NEW-TC-42X58...item3cd0e807ae

$4.99 w/free shipping

For one or more:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Oil-Shaft-Se...25.m3641.l6368

$3.15/ea
    $2.75 shipping
    $0.40 shipping each additional item

Note that I'm pretty sure that these have a regular carbon steel spring and NOT a stainless spring as in the ones that I obtained from UIS.

--Josh S.

VIN
    Quote Originally Posted by NightFlyer View Post
    Well that SUCKS!!!

I still have the two that I previously purchased from them, and I can assure you that they are correct for our application and are a high quality product - they actually feel heavier and a bit stiffer than the seals that DMCMW sold me. I can post some pics later today.

They also had super fast shipping at no extra cost - mine arrived in the mail two days after I placed the order.

I'm sure if I did some googling, I could probably find another source similar in price to UIS. If not, I'm certain that Pegasus Racing Supply could probably get them for me if they don't already stock them - I know the owners over there and they have done special orders for me in the past.

BTW - Pegasus is a GREAT source for Girling brake parts!

https://www.pegasusautoracing.com/

They look GREAT! I probably would have went that route myself, but my original flanges didn't look too bad and cleaned up nicely, as can be seen in my pics.

What do you get for them if you don't mind me asking?
    Of course not. #110539RS Axle flange W/SS Sleeve $99.75 or #111539RS for a pair at $179.50.

I do want to caution everyone to be wary of replacement seals that are only 10mm wide as the differential spiders have a lot of play and can provide a heavier side load than some of the seals that wide can handle. Be very cautious about reinspecting when using 10mm seals to make sure they don't leak or become dislodged.
    Rob

Of course not. #110539RS Axle flange W/SS Sleeve $99.75 or #111539RS for a pair at $179.50.

I do want to caution everyone to be wary of replacement seals that are only 10mm wide as the differential spiders have a lot of play and can provide a heavier side load than some of the seals that wide can handle. Be very cautious about reinspecting when using 10mm seals to make sure they don't leak or become dislodged.
    Rob
    How wide are the stock seals?

So you machine a little off the axle and press on a thicker sleeve. Do you machine the sleeve down to stock dia.?
    Dave M vin 03572
    http://dm-eng.weebly.com/

VIN
    Quote Originally Posted by Bitsyncmaster View Post
    How wide are the stock seals?

So you machine a little off the axle and press on a thicker sleeve. Do you machine the sleeve down to stock dia.?
    13mm.

Yes we turn them down and install a stock OD stainless sleeve appx. 2mm thick.
    Rob

Looks like I will be doing this seal change. I noticed my axle boot was torn so I may as well do the seal at the same time. Again, great write up. Did not see a write up on DMCtalk.
    Dave M vin 03572

I can't get the bolts off the flange with a 17 mm open end wrench. I tried using a hammer on the wrench but they still are to tight. I guess I need to get a crows foot to use with my impact tool. My crows foot set won't fit because they are line wrench type. I need to get a straight open end type.
    Dave M vin 03572

VIN
    Great write up Josh!

I got front and rear main seal leaks, I'm sure these leak too!
    Lou and "Boo" - The man you love to hate.

Boo- The car you love to hate.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    "Boo"-VIN 5835
    'Fastest naturally aspirated PRV'
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    "Blue"-1985 Fiero GT
    3800sc swap