Page 3 of 30 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast

Thread: Spec .01 Steering

VIN
    This sounds like a good upgrade. I think I'll do it to 1258 when I get a chance. Looking for a new job first :\.

I would like to drive a car with this done,and if i liked it would like to have also

#5939 will be at DCS....

Bill Robertson

Devout Follower Of He Who Walks Behind The Rows NightFlyer's Avatar
    VIN
    Quote Originally Posted by tom kish vin.4357 View Post
    I would like to drive a car with this done,and if i liked it would like to have also
    I thought you wanted to drive a car with a plastic coolant/header bottle and 33 year old tires
    "Driving Concours - proving it's possible with every mile!"

--Josh S.

Quote Originally Posted by NightFlyer View Post
    I thought you wanted to drive a car with a plastic coolant/header bottle and 33 year old tires
    When i bought 4357 it had a plastic coolant bottle, and 30+year old tires, they were two of the first things to go then $$$$ in other upgrades to bring it more up to date. still more to do.

VIN
    Good morning everyone! I plan to do this upgrade, but I have 0 tool skill to cut my own shaft. My question is, do I have to have the entire rack out to measure how long of an intermediate shaft I need, or can I measure it in the car somehow?
    Thanks for any advice.

Alex

Devout Follower Of He Who Walks Behind The Rows NightFlyer's Avatar
    VIN
    While it's definitely possible to measure with the existing shaft in the car, accessibility might make doing so extremely difficult.

Bill would be the best person to ask.
    "Driving Concours - proving it's possible with every mile!"

--Josh S.

VIN
    I need to rebuild my rack, so I suppose the entire thing will come out anyway. I was just hoping to get it ordered before to minimize downtime. I suppose a few days wont kill me

Quote Originally Posted by alexwolf1216 View Post
    Good morning everyone! I plan to do this upgrade, but I have 0 tool skill to cut my own shaft. My question is, do I have to have the entire rack out to measure how long of an intermediate shaft I need, or can I measure it in the car somehow?
    First & foremost: both Houston and Toby sell Borgeson units -- all we're doing is cutting out the middle man.

Houston and Toby also only sell non-vibration reducing units. Only difference is the vibration reducing U joint, and a slightly shorter connecting shaft (vibration reducing U joint is 1 1/8" longer than a regular U joint, so the connecting shaft has to be 1 1/8" shorter).

Houston and Toby use splined shafts, which have also been used by several owners who bought from Borgeson direct. Splined shafts are a little harder to install because you can't push the shaft through the U joints then pull it back out after the unit is in place.

I used 7/8" shaft engagement (same as spline depth) so dimensions should be the same: 11 1/2" overall shaft length. Double check that with Gil. Be sure to remind him that this is a vibration reducing unit (longer U joint on one end) -- Houston's and Toby's shafts in his records will of course be longer.

Bill Robertson

VIN
    Thanks Bill. I was a little leary after reading that some people had varied lengths.