Page 2 of 30 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Thread: Spec .01 Steering

No joke: cut the shaft with an ordinary hack saw (new blade). Stainless steel cuts like butter at slow tool speeds. Treat yourself to a new file if necessary to round the cut end off.

A drill press is really nice to drill the set screw recesses. If you have to drill them free hand, go real slow with the bit. Either way don't forget to use some light weight cutting oil. Hole is 5/16". I only drilled mine on the flat sides. Shaft is captive if you put the vibration reducing joint next to the rack, so the set screws only need to lock everything together.

As stated, you can push a DD shaft through the non-vibration reducing U joint during installation to make it shorter, then pull it back down and lock it after the assembly is in place (one advantage of DD over splined shafts -- splined shafts can't push through the joint).

Was Gil your Borgeson rep? He should be getting quite familiar with DeLorean sales by now.

Bill Robertson

VIN
    Quote Originally Posted by content22207 View Post
    Was Gil your Borgeson rep? He should be getting quite familiar with DeLorean sales by now.
    Nope. I decided to go the 3/4"DD route as well and simply ordered the parts off of Amazon using the part numbers you posted at the beginning of this thread.

$267.18 + free shipping.

I'll post pics when I get it installed. Because I didn't pop for expedited shipping, it might be next weekend before I get time to put it on.

Mike

VIN
    As promised - pics of the Borgeson setup installed on 910.photo 5.jpgphoto 4.jpgphoto 3.jpgphoto 2.jpgphoto 1.jpg

Install went pretty easy, but word of warning to anyone trying this on their own: measure your car first. I decided to measure the length of the DD shaft I needed before I cut. I'm glad I did. Mine was 1.25" longer than Bill's measurements. I figured the original shaft had a TON of size adjustment built in - must be for a reason.

My columns are identical between both cars. Which measurement are you referencing: 11.5" shaft length, or 9.75" between the U joints installed (shaft inserted 7/8" into each joint)?

Bill Robertson

Quote Originally Posted by Ramblinmike View Post
    Install went pretty easy, but word of warning to anyone trying this on their own: measure your car first. I decided to measure the length of the DD shaft I needed before I cut. I'm glad I did. Mine was 1.25" longer than Bill's measurements. I figured the original shaft had a TON of size adjustment built in - must be for a reason.
    Nice. Tie that AC hose away from the shaft.
    Dave M vin 03572
    http://dm-eng.weebly.com/

Quote Originally Posted by Bitsyncmaster View Post
    Tie that AC hose away from the shaft.
    I second this advice.
    DeLorean status: awaiting engine replacement.

Hire my voice!

VIN
    Beautiful. If you ever need to chance your steering wrack the work will be a breeze now.
    Rest assured, we have a backup of Farrar's car blog and it will be restored in the near future. (Steve Rice - March 2016)
    Rest assured, we have a backup of Shep's posts and all of them will be restored in the near future. (Steve Rice - March 2017)

I don't have the tools to machine metal, but if I did, I'd definitely be in the market for the Borgeson steering upgrade. Cutting and drilling the center shaft is what stops me from putting it on my to-save-for list.
    DeLorean status: awaiting engine replacement.

Hire my voice!

VIN
    Quote Originally Posted by Farrar View Post
    I don't have the tools to machine metal, but if I did, I'd definitely be in the market for the Borgeson steering upgrade. Cutting and drilling the center shaft is what stops me from putting it on my to-save-for list.
    Talk to Gil at Borgeson. The parts I bought were splined and needed absolutely no cutting or drilling. All I needed was a 10mm wrench and an allen head wrench.
    Patrick C.
    VIN 1880
    A video of my modifications can be seen here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_yUpusPAvJc

Alternatively, if you'd like me to make a DD shaft for you I can knock one out in a couple of minutes.

Bill Robertson