Page 1 of 30 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: Spec .01 Steering

Spec .01 Steering

Just made a vibration isolated lower column for #2508. Here are the dimensions and Borgeson part numbers:

Steering1.jpg Steering2.jpg

Bill Robertson

VIN
    Will this eliminate the "rag column" thiing I remember you making to eliminate the vibration. My steering has alot of vibration. How much "investment " is this?
    Lou and "Boo" - The man you love to hate.

Boo- The car you love to hate.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    "Boo"-VIN 5835
    'Fastest naturally aspirated PRV'
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    "Blue"-1985 Fiero GT
    3800sc swap

Traditional rag joint doesn't work. There isn't clearance at either end, and if you put it in the middle the lower column throws it into the A/C line.

Borgeson makes a rubber isolated U joint that accomplishes the same thing and fits no problem:

VibrationIsolatedUJoint.jpg

The reason DeLoreans have unacceptable vibration at the steering wheel is because there is no isolation between the steering knuckles and the steering wheel whatsoever. Even the lowly VW Bug had a rag joint. Every single vibration experienced by the steering knuckles is transmitted without interruption to the steering wheel (hard couplings the whole way). First hint of isolation is the leather covering on the steering wheel itself.

Bill Robertson

VIN
    Please pm me with a price for a "kit" for this. Doesn't seem that pricey, is it?

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    "Boo"-VIN 5835
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    "Blue"-1985 Fiero GT
    3800sc swap

www.borgeson.com

You'll need to call them and order verbally because our rack and upper column splines aren't on the website (prices are the same).

I use DD shafts because they are easier to manufacture (cut to any length you want) and *WAY* easier to install (push the shaft through the upper joint, slip the assembly into place, then pull it back down & lock it). I remember reading owners struggling with the splined shafts to get them into place. BTW: these are the exact same U joints sold by Houston -- just no markup.

Bill Robertson

VIN
    Quote Originally Posted by content22207 View Post
    www.borgeson.com

You'll need to call them and order verbally because our rack and upper column splines aren't on the website (prices are the same).

I use DD shafts because they are easier to manufacture (cut to any length you want) and *WAY* easier to install (push the shaft through the upper joint, slip the assembly into place, then pull it back down & lock it). I remember reading owners struggling with the splined shafts to get them into place. BTW: these are the exact same U joints sold by Houston -- just no markup.

Bill Robertson
    I, too, have the Spec .01 steering. I am using the splined shaft that the Borgeson rep helped me find over the phone. With the vibration reducing joint, you will need a shorter shaft than what you would use with a non-vibration reducing joint. The Borgeson rep I spoke with (I believe his name was Gil) was very helpful.
    Patrick C.
    VIN 1880
    A video of my modifications can be seen here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_yUpusPAvJc

VIN
    How much money does this mod entail?

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    "Boo"-VIN 5835
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    "Blue"-1985 Fiero GT
    3800sc swap

Approximately $270 for stainless components (Houston wants $375, without vibration isolation, for the exact same components -- Houston sources their columns from Borgeson).

Stainless regular U joint: $92.60
    Stainless vibration reducing U joint: $133.63
    Stainless shaft: ~$45 (price varies with length)
    Add about $20 for shipping.

Bill Robertson

I really like this modification. Hope to do it someday.
    Dave M vin 03572
    http://dm-eng.weebly.com/

VIN
    I just ordered the two u-joints with the DD shaft. I popped for the vibration-reducing joint. I'm really curious to see how big a difference. It'll be hard to tell though - I've had a shot lower joint on my car since I brought it home. It's always had a significant amount of slop in the steering as a result.

I'm planning on buying the outriggers and DMCNW's poly bushing set sometime after DCS.