Page 11 of 52 FirstFirst ... 91011121321 ... LastLast

Thread: DCS 2014 - Dayton, OH

Devout Follower Of He Who Walks Behind The Rows NightFlyer's Avatar
    VIN
    Quote Originally Posted by content22207 View Post
    How about the two POG's who had their presentation cut short at DCS'10 (by BTTF presentations that ran long) -- rumor then was that they were coming to DCS'12 to do a complete presentation but they never appeared.
    Both Jeff Synor and Chris Duvall are on the docket. Both were present at the Woodward Dream Cruise last year. Good guys.

My car was actually the Troy, MI QAC parts car. When the first several shipments of cars came over, they didn't yet have the necessary parts here to perform the work that the QACs needed to do to get the cars into a sell-able state, and waiting for parts to arrive from Northern Ireland was a slow and unreliable prospect, so unbeknownst to corporate, the POGs would scavenge a few cars for parts to get the others into the dealerships / delivered to customers as quickly as possible. Practically 1/2 of my car was scavenged for parts at the Troy QAC under Chris Duvall's direction - they even broke the original windshield when scavenging parts, which is why my car has a fender mount antenna and no windshield embedded antenna as it should have. Chris has several pics of my car at the Troy QAC which he has shared with me. He was practically brought to tears when he was reunited with my car at Woodward this last year after 32 years had passed.

It will be good seeing them again at DCS this year and I hope that their presentation isn't cut short this time. Having the actual Troy QAC parts car at the show should add a little something to their presentation as well
    "Driving Concours - proving it's possible with every mile!"

--Josh S.

VIN
    Quote Originally Posted by Dracula View Post
    I had commented on how my experience at DCS was and how I didn't care for the treatment or that the most "prestigious" cars were those that not only weren't driven, but weren't road-worthy; concourse is still a stupid idea to me and it highly discourages keeping the cars in a roadworthy state.
    Hmm... I wonder how that crowd is going to react when I drive my car to the show

Did anyone in the past ever drive a concours level car to the show from any significant distances to your knowledge?

--Josh S.

VIN
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by NightFlyer View Post
    Hmm... I wonder how that crowd is going to react when I drive my car to the show

Did anyone in the past ever drive a concours level car to the show from any significant distances to your knowledge?
    To my knowledge; no. Since things like "original hose clamps" and "original oil filter" are required for a perfect score, it seems asinine to drive one in most cases.
    -Chad K.
    Previous owner of VINS: 6982, 1601, 1265, and 1269

Dammit, Jim. I'm an undertaker, not a mechanic.

I believe their 33 year old tires all blew up on the Interstate.

Bill Robertson

VIN
    To my knowledge; no. Since things like "original hose clamps" and "original oil filter" are required for a perfect score, it seems asinine to drive one in most cases.
    This will be the ONLY TIME that I concours my car, so I want to make the best effort possible.

All of the hose clamps are original except where listed below, and I have a few of the Purflux oil filters from a decade ago that I've kept tucked away on the parts shelf.

The only non original/stock/OEM things that will be on my car while at the show will be the following:

- DMCH pump/sender combo unit and accompanying hoses/clamps
    - fuel accumulator hoses and clamps (just the hoses/clamps, as I have a stock/OEM accumulator and not one of those stubby replacements that vendors are selling)
    - hood and louver struts (door struts are original)
    - DMCH front/rear brake hoses
    - DMCH brake pads all around
    - DMCH brake master cylinder
    - Everco heater control valve (I could put the original one back on, as I still have it, but it leaks a little at the butterfly pivot shat)

The fender mount antenna and absence of a windshield embedded antenna is also VIN incorrect, however, I have documentation that these changes were made by the Troy, MI QAC, not to mention that Chis Duvall (POG parts manager) will also be there to personally attest to such, if necessary.

Other than those things, my car will be exactly as it left Dunmurry (right down to the fuses in the fuse block and NCTs on the dark grey/gray wheels) and everything will be 100% fully functional. And I'm driving it roughly 300 miles (600 round trip) to the show and back.

Hell, I've taken my car on a 2,000 mile vacation in that condition about 10 years ago - only then I still had the original fuel pump/sender/hoses/clamps, accumulator hoses/clamps, brake line, brake pads, and heater control valve. The only non original/stock/OEM things about the car when I made that trip was the hood and louver struts.

So, do I stand a good change of winning something - even if I'm not as perfect as a trailer queen / non-driveable car?

--Josh S.

VIN
    Blog Entries
    From my judging experience, you'll be lucky to get 3rd place.

You'll have to buck them every step of the way for the QAC changes and any part that's deemed "too worn" falls under the "dirty" category; this includes things like scuffing to the hood latch from it being opened and closed...
    -Chad K.

VIN
    From my judging experience, you'll be lucky to get 3rd place.

You'll have to buck them every step of the way for the QAC changes and any part that's deemed "too worn" falls under the "dirty" category; this includes things like scuffing to the hood latch from it being opened and closed...
    There really isn't any visible wear anywhere, at least not by my standards anyway

No consideration for the car being in driveable condition, with proof by actually having driven it to the show?

Hmm... I wonder if it will even be worth my effort trying to concours it then...

Then again, if I can beat all but a few of the trailer queen crowd, it just might be worth it

Sounds like I'll definitely want to be present while it's being judged then. Do you have to remove the closing plates / access panels in the luggage compartment for judging?

--Josh S.

Quote Originally Posted by content22207 View Post
    I believe their 33 year old tires all blew up on the Interstate.

Bill Robertson
    Hey Bill, Josh wants me to tow him and Steve the rest of the way to the show after his 33 year old tires blow on the interstate any advice?

VIN
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by NightFlyer View Post
    There really isn't any visible wear anywhere, at least not by my standards anyway

No consideration for the car being in driveable condition, with proof by actually having driven it to the show?

Hmm... I wonder if it will even be worth my effort trying to concours it then...

Then again, if I can beat all but a few of the trailer queen crowd, it just might be worth it

Sounds like I'll definitely want to be present while it's being judged then. Do you have to remove the closing plates / access panels in the luggage compartment for judging?
    It's best to take them off and put them to the side; along with your tool kit.
    -Chad K.

If I give one of you my copy of "Mr Scott's Guide to the Enterprise," could you have Andy Probert autograph it for me? Remember, my name is spelled with three Rs, two As, and an F...
    DeLorean status: awaiting engine replacement.

Hire my voice!