Page 2 of 13 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Thread: Fixing 2808

VIN
    2808 6921
    Well I never found something that fit as good as the original clips so I kept those in, put new screws in the old clips. I replaced everything else. Here are some pics for your viewing pleasure.

1.jpg3.jpg5.jpg6.jpg7.jpg8.jpg

VIN
    2808 6921
    All right, next thing on my plate, LCA's. My question is to box, or not to box?

May I humbly suggest Byrne's LCA's:

ByrneLCA1.jpg ByrneLCA2.jpg

Heaviest duty LCA's ever manufactured for our cars:
    - 1/8" thick alloy steel sides & top
    - 1/4" thick alloy steel spring perch
    - 1/2" thick alloy steel ball joint pad

Combine them with Uding brackets for the closest experience to lower wishbones this side of a contemporary engineered Lotus:

LukeSandelLCA.jpg

For the ultimate driving experience add a vibration isolated steering column:

VibrationIsolatedSteeringColumn.jpg

Bill Robertson

VIN
    2808 6921
    If I could afford Byrne's I would buy them in a second.

Wasn't Byrne offering a $100 discount over Christmas? Ask nicely and he may offer it now.

If you install a pair of Uding brackets, be sure to add backing washers between them and the shock tower tube (you will need to buy your own longer pivot bolts).

UdingBackingWasher.jpg UdingBackingWasherDiagram.jpg

If you don't, the bushings will walk out of the brackets as they pivot up & down (bushings drag on the shock tower). A bunch of people had that happen on Talk. I made a brief guest appearance to point that out (and was thanked by owners who were experiencing the same, thank you very much), then was promptly banned again.... http://dmctalk.org/showthread.php?58...-think&p=84622. Kiss my butt -- don't hold your breath for me to offer assistance over there again.

Bill Robertson
    Last edited by Greasy DeLorean Mechanic; 02-15-2014 at 10:26 PM.

VIN
    2808 6921
    All right I've been a bit busy since my last post on this stuff (Me and the Mrs. were in a car accident on our way to work, our daily driver got destroyed but thankfully we both walked away virtually unscathed) So I need some new rotors and wheel bearings, any suggestions? Ive peaked around all the normal vendors but was curious if this was something I could source from one of the chain stores.

Devout Follower Of He Who Walks Behind The Rows NightFlyer's Avatar
    VIN
    Sorry to hear about the accident and your daily driver, but glad to hear that you and your Mrs survived unharmed.

Not sure about cross-overs on the rotors or bearings, but don't see why there wouldn't be something that would work available locally, however, I've been proven wrong plenty in the past. Did you check out Steve's cross-over list yet? I believe it's in the Resources section of the site.

Welcome back and look forward to seeing more of you and your fantastic restoration of your car
    "You can never use too much anti-seize!"

--Josh S.

VIN
    Nope. No cross over on the rotors.

I once found a cross over for the bearings (I forgot what it was) but I decided not to publish it since vendor supplied bearings are cheaper than the cross reference.
    Rest assured, we have a backup of Farrar's car blog and it will be restored in the near future. (Steve Rice - March 2016)
    Rest assured, we have a backup of Shep's posts and all of them will be restored in the near future. (Steve Rice - March 2017)

VIN
    2808 6921
    All right good info everyone , thanks. I went ahead and ordered the new rotor and bearing from Hervey. I just finished my second coat of POR 15 on the LCA, next thing is to press in my ball joint. Here is a pick of my finished upper and partially finished lower. Enjoy.IMG_0180.jpg

VIN
    2808 6921
    One other thing, where can I get the clip that holds in the wheel bearing? I need to replace the old one and I was going to get it of DMC Texas's site, <rant on> I don't mind forking over 6 bucks for the clip, I do however mind paying them 15 dollars shipping for something that weighs less than half a pound, I'm sorry but thats complete shit to charge that when it can slide in the mail <rant off>