Page 1 of 13 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: Fixing 2808

VIN
    2808 6921

Fixing 2808

Hey everyone! I finally got up off my lazy butt and started working on the old girl today (well parts of her) so I plan on using this post as my progress on the D. My car is still at my old house across town but I have a bunch of parts off of it that I am working on. While I am gathering the rest of the steering and suspension components to get it rolling again I turned my attention to my headlights. Weird place right? Like I said I only have certain parts until I can get the car mobile again. So my first question:

What color is the headlight bracket supposed to be? The buckets are black, maybe flat black. Any thoughts or ideas on it?

I made mine black. Mine were orange when I got them.

From the factory (or Houston NOS) the brackets were silver colored. Perhaps they were electroplated, but it sure doesn't hold up -- they very quickly rust over. Being thin low carbon steel, rust will eventually eat through them. If you can salvage yours, I recommend stripping them bare and painting the ever living daylights out of them. Otherwise, $58 per side really isn't too bad for replacements (again, paint the ever living daylights out of them before installation). I recently paid $35 for used plastic AMC headlight assemblies (also no walk in the park -- they eventually crack).

Related topic: I flipped the headlight assemblies upside down on both my cars after repainting them:

Headlight1.jpg

Pontificators and prevaricators *STILL* insist this can't be done. My cars have been running upside down buckets (not upside down bulbs -- just the buckets) for three years now -- I humbly suggest they are wrong. You do have to make a couple of nips in the brackets and buckets with a Dremel tool, but nothing major. At least I don't have to dig around the upper fascia lip with a screwdriver, potentially damaging my paint job, to adjust or change my bulbs (still have to dig into the side for the low beams, but that's definitely less invasive than the upper lip).

Bill Robertson

VIN
    2808 6921
    Thanks guys. I sandblasted the one set yesterday, I thought my other set was in a tote I packed up when I moves but it looks like they are still on my work bench at the old house. I got 2 good layers of primer on them yesterday, today I'm going to paint them and hopefully grab some new hardware to put them back together. I'll post some before and afters when I'm done.

Quote Originally Posted by ChuckD View Post
    Thanks guys. I sandblasted the one set yesterday, I thought my other set was in a tote I packed up when I moves but it looks like they are still on my work bench at the old house. I got 2 good layers of primer on them yesterday, today I'm going to paint them and hopefully grab some new hardware to put them back together. I'll post some before and afters when I'm done.
    Best of luck on your progress, Chuck! Glad to see this!
    Keeper and seller of cocks. Currently on the ro[o]ster: 2 cocks, Big Ed and Little Ed, and 3 hens; Angelina Jolie, Missy Eliot and Jane Fonda.

VIN
    2808 6921
    So while we have two days of warm weather I got some paint on everything. I'm having trouble finding new bolts clips and springs at any of the big box stores. Any suggestions on where to find some replacements?

What in particular? The springs I think I ordered from DMC directly. The headlight adjusters I got at Autozone (as part of a variety pack).

Hmm: hyperlink for adjusting springs on DMCH's website brings up "That Product could not be found" (other hyperlinks work). Better call to make sure they're still available.

If necessary eBay and Amazon are full of adjusting springs. Just find one with the same shape hooks.

Bill Robertson

VIN
    2808 6921
    The headlight adjusters, sorry bout that, those were the main things

Like Matt said, just pick them up at a parts house.

Helpful hint: headlight adjusting bolts are posidrive, not phillips. If you use a phillips screwdriver on them they will strip out very quickly. You can make a poor man's posidrive screwdriver by filing the tip of a new phillips screwdriver flat (use a new one because you want as much meat on the sides as possible).

Bill Robertson