Thread: DeLorean on "The Goldbergs"

VIN
    Blog Entries

DeLorean on "The Goldbergs"

Apparently, there's been a lot of feathers in the DeLorean community ruffled by the comments made on this show; most notably between Kathryn and the show's writers; to the point where it was picked up as a story on Jalopnik.

http://jalopnik.com/john-deloreans-d...t-a-1470350971

I've seen things ranging from Facebook posts advocating harassment to the same pleas on the DML.
    -Chad K.
    Previous owner of VINS: 6982, 1601, 1265, and 1269

Dammit, Jim. I'm an undertaker, not a mechanic.

I think the coke jokes are crappy, and even though JZD was no angel, the government has no business tempting wickedness from anyone, especially if they are desperate.
    Last edited by Duplicate Account; 11-26-2013 at 05:14 PM.
    Bungee Cup Holder Guru

VIN
    Hollywood was just doing its job of providing entertainment. Last I checked, they don't care if the information they present is true or not.

My question is this, instead of going after Hollywood for doing their job, why don't they have a talk with the person who provided the Delorean?

My Delorean is always available for rent, but I don't rent it out to just anyone. They have to pass my interview first.
    Rest assured, we have a backup of Farrar's car blog and it will be restored in the near future. (Steve Rice - March 2016)
    Rest assured, we have a backup of Shep's posts and all of them will be restored in the near future. (Steve Rice - March 2017)

VIN
    Blog Entries
    It's funny how quickly the "any publicity is good publicity" crowd changes when they feel the car has been insulted, yet they seem to do nothing to stop this. There has been no shortage of DeLoreans in recent years to fill roles as beaters, broken-down junkers, or lemons on TV. For every one of these roles, it means someone signed off on it and accepted the paycheck.
    -Chad K.
    Previous owner of VINS: 6982, 1601, 1265, and 1269

Dammit, Jim. I'm an undertaker, not a mechanic.

Devout Follower Of He Who Walks Behind The Rows NightFlyer's Avatar
    VIN
    OK, so I checked it out to see what all the buzz was about. As for the show in general, it's definitely better than the swiftly (and rightfully) canceled That '80's Show (2002), but definitely not something that I would call a must watch/follow. And it was good to see Dan Fogler (Hutch from Fanboys (2009)) getting work, although I think this appearance proves that his acting peaked in Fanboys.

As to the DeLorean appearance - it was an automatic, thus wouldn't the parking pins in the transmission have prevented the car from rolling backwards, as it's highly unlikely that someone planning to exit the vehicle would have put it into neutral before doing so. I can see how this might generate some 'you got to be careful because the slightest bump will cause the doors to get stuck open' comments from the know-it-all types, on top of the litany of misinformation that we already must endure.

As to the DeLorean drug bust reference - they completely botched it. As I understand the structure of the uc/sting operation, DeLorean's role was that of a bridge financier only. He never purchased, took legal possession/ownership, attempted to sell, or even directed where the cocaine in the hotel room was to ultimately go. His only role was to provide some front money (basically a loan to the distributor, who would then use the money to purchase the cocaine from the supplier, and pay John back with interest and royalties from the distribution revenues), which he never actually did, because as soon as he learned the truth about what the transaction was, he wanted out and made up the excuse that the money had been commandeered by the IRA or British Government (contrary to what Wikipedia or any book might say, there's no way in hell that the IRA would have taken the money and then placed it "to pay fees to the British government" - that makes absolutely no sense what-so-ever).

Thus, to say that John DeLorean was arrested for selling cocaine to government agents, as they did on the show, is wholly inaccurate. In common law, only the living can be effectively defamed (slander or libel). If John were alive today, he'd definitely have a grievable action against the producers. But seeing as how he has passed on, I'm afraid that the best Kathryn can do is on the PR front, just as she did.
    "Driving Concours - proving it's possible with every mile!"

--Josh S.

I have to say, there is a certain amount of lore that makes its way into the public consciousness, and even makes tragedies into comedies, IF it is handled correctly. Even, say, assassinations.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tBz3PqA2Fmc
    Bungee Cup Holder Guru