Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Thirdmanj's new ride

Doesn't matter. A grudge is a grudge. I get your rationalizations, but it's the same concept.
    Keeper and seller of cocks. Currently on the ro[o]ster: 2 cocks, Big Ed and Little Ed, and 3 hens; Angelina Jolie, Missy Eliot and Jane Fonda.

Devout Follower Of He Who Walks Behind The Rows NightFlyer's Avatar
    VIN
    Quote Originally Posted by stevedmc View Post
    If the USA would introduce heavy tariffs on foreign products, USA stuff would suddenly seam a lot cheaper.
    Or if American consumers would pull their heads out of their asses, wake up to economic reality, and not be so greedy in their consumption, that would also solve the problem without government intervention.

Demand is a far greater force than supply. Under our system of government's respect for freedom and autonomy of choice (at least until recently), government controls could only really ever effectively regulate the supply side the equation, which is what tariffs do.

Under this freedom, the consumers of this nation voted to virtually give away a vast majority of our former industrial / technological superiority / might every time they spent a dollar on Asian goods. Simply amazing considering that we spend more per capita than any other industrialized nation (with the sole exception of Switzerland) on education.

It's sad that we're so stupid as a collective that one of the only viable solutions is to limit/restrict our freedoms by implementing supply side controls when it's our apparent collective demand (stupidity) that created the situation in the first place.

People like to blame greedy corporations or government / political parties for our current economic woes. But who's greed is really responsible? Personally, I say that these people need to start looking in the mirror first and foremost. After all, manufacturing could be exclusively done in China/Mexico/Africa/etc, but the only way a greedy corporation could ever profit from such is if their was a demand for such products by people with the means to pay for them. The power of demand is much greater than the power of supply. Our collective consumerist demand for cheap products is what created our current economic situation. People were effectively spending themselves out of a job without even realizing it - just because buying cheap meant that they could have more material possessions. So, was it worth it?

A majority of the people crying/complaining are directly responsible, and yet want to point the finger and blame others.

It's this empathy and attitude that makes me sick more than anything else.
    "Driving Concours - proving it's possible with every mile!"

--Josh S.

Devout Follower Of He Who Walks Behind The Rows NightFlyer's Avatar
    VIN
    Quote Originally Posted by thirdmanj View Post
    Doesn't matter. A grudge is a grudge. I get your rationalizations, but it's the same concept.
    Except that in the case of WWII veterans, it's not really a matter of a grudge per say (yes, for some it may be), but more or so economies of scale and patriotism (more about loving America vs hating the former enemy).

The reason that we were able to assist the allied forces in defeating Nazi Germany and effectively defend ourselves against attack by imperialist Japan and eventually defeat them is directly because our past private industrial might allowed us to rapidly mobilize our forces. Would we be able to duplicate such a rapid mobilization today given the current state of our heavy industrial capacity? Doesn't this in fact make us vulnerable to conventional attack by those with greater/superior industrial resources?
    "Driving Concours - proving it's possible with every mile!"

--Josh S.

VIN
    Quote Originally Posted by NightFlyer View Post
    Slavery effectively ended in 1865.
    That was until we started outsourcing it. Like it or not, the USA still supports slavery. We just do it offshore now.
    Rest assured, we have a backup of Farrar's car blog and it will be restored in the near future. (Steve Rice - March 2016)
    Rest assured, we have a backup of Shep's posts and all of them will be restored in the near future. (Steve Rice - March 2017)

Wouldn't "former" be the operative word there? I understand your reasoning isn't strictly emotional, but it certainly plays a factor. But kudos on your attempt to be an economic patriot in action and not just name. I think it's a safe assumption that most people who actively fought in WW2, Korea, and VN are close to on their way out, and even so. When hostile actions cease, then it's over and done and life goes on? If one continues to boycott a former enemy's industry, that's a grudge. That's bad blood. Understandable for those directly affected, but remove that a couple, three generations and its just a grudge for the sake of it. Ever since WW2 the worlds march toward global dependent economy became very prevalent. It's important to move on I feel. Again, I get your point, it makes sense from the economic end of things. Bit extreme perhaps, but that's my opinion.
    Last edited by thirdmanj; 11-11-2013 at 08:56 PM.
    Keeper and seller of cocks. Currently on the ro[o]ster: 2 cocks, Big Ed and Little Ed, and 3 hens; Angelina Jolie, Missy Eliot and Jane Fonda.

I love the type 2, but I'm odd in the fact I also like the Vanagon Westfalia from the later part of the 80's and early 90's.

VIN
    Amen. Outsourcing is what is killing our economy. Why our politicians don't see that is beyond me. I tell my dad all the time that one potential solution to the recession is to put heavy tariffs on imported goods.
    Quote Originally Posted by thirdmanj View Post
    I hate to admit it, but I have to agree with Steve on this point. It is nice to see that some companies are really trying to promote products Made in USA, but they cost.
    I'm not a very smart man, but based on what Thirdmanj said a few years ago, I think he voted for President Trump.
    Rest assured, we have a backup of Farrar's car blog and it will be restored in the near future. (Steve Rice - March 2016)
    Rest assured, we have a backup of Shep's posts and all of them will be restored in the near future. (Steve Rice - March 2017)

Consider this a warning Dead Lesbian Goat's Avatar
    VIN
    Blog Entries
    This has conspiracy written all over it. I must investigate this further and come up with some rock solid theories.

Is it coincidence that Steve just got a ham radio?

VIN
    Quote Originally Posted by Michael View Post
    Is it coincidence that Steve just got a ham radio?
    Take my advice and buy all of your made in China electronics before President Trump starts implementing huge tariffs.

Take my advice and buy all of your made in China electronics before President Trump starts implementing huge tariffs.
    I'm actually waiting for when he does exactly that. I just got Amazon Prime a year ago, and only later learned why it's such a shitshow. Amazon's a "cheap chinese knockoff" enabler.

What I would've given to have been a fly on the wall of the last "seller celebration" party. Seems like every single seller who attended very vocally bashed Amazon's VP to his face about the growing problem and demanding answers. CEO didn't attend. Wonder why.