Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Thirdmanj's new ride

Devout Follower Of He Who Walks Behind The Rows NightFlyer's Avatar
    VIN
    Quote Originally Posted by thirdmanj View Post
    Oh you're one of those people. I guess that follows. I did expect as much, but well done on your most convenient rationalizations. LoLz, if everybody thought that way we'd still be fighting wouldnt we? To each his own I suppose. At least (it would appear) you genuinely try to keep your business in the country, and not just talk shit. What I take issue with is your self righteous attitude about. As if by doing this, your above everyone who doesn't. Perhaps you don't mean to come off this way, but it does. At least to me. But hey, good for you dude, good for you!
    I don't try to be self-righteous about it, but I do take issue with those who complain about the current state of our economic affairs while wearing Nike/Reebok shoes and having a Japanese/Korean car parked in their driveways.

As I didn't personally serve in our armed forces, I figure that this is my way of doing that which I can for my country.
    "Driving Concours - proving it's possible with every mile!"

--Josh S.

Quote Originally Posted by NightFlyer View Post
    I don't try to be self-righteous about it, but I do take issue with those who complain about the current state of our economic affairs while wearing Nike/Reebok shoes and having a Japanese/Korean car parked in their driveways.

As I didn't personally serve in our armed forces, I figure that this is my way of doing that which I can for my country.
    Yeah yeah, I know. That's just how it comes across (to me). I can respect your position, I don't necessarily agree, but I understand where your coming from, and the logic behind it. But I can tell you, as a service member, I've never met anyone who follows that path (it would appear) so rigidly. With the way our economy runs, it's not really that practical with all the cheap manufacturing going on overseas. With a little effort it is possible, but concessions will have to be made, and I can't say I blame people for going cheaper when they can. If we wouldn't have made it so damn lucrative for companies to outsource, I doubt we'd have this problem.
    Last edited by thirdmanj; 11-11-2013 at 04:21 PM.
    Keeper and seller of cocks. Currently on the ro[o]ster: 2 cocks, Big Ed and Little Ed, and 3 hens; Angelina Jolie, Missy Eliot and Jane Fonda.

VIN
    Second, as my direct family proudly served our nation in WWII, the Korean War, and the Vietnam War, I really don't like supporting the voluntary products of our former enemies that took so many brave American lives, as it could be construed by many of our Veterans (and rightfully so) as a slap in the face to their efforts.

well done on your most convenient rationalizations. LoLz, if everybody thought that way we'd still be fighting wouldnt we?
    I hate to admit it, but I actually agree with James on this point.

I do understand where Josh is coming from though. My grandfather fought the Japanese in WWII in ground combat. He took many secrets to his grave. For the rest of his life he refused to buy Toyota cars because they were Japanese. My mom would often suggest that he purchase a Toyota and he would usually say something like, "I'll never buy anything from those people, not after what they did to me and my buds". Ironically, gas prices went up drastically in his last ten years of life and he decided to try a Toyota Corolla because it got good gas mileage. I believe he owned something like four Toyota's before he died. He really liked those cars.
    Rest assured, we have a backup of Farrar's car blog and it will be restored in the near future. (Steve Rice - March 2016)
    Rest assured, we have a backup of Shep's posts and all of them will be restored in the near future. (Steve Rice - March 2017)

VIN

Amen. Outsourcing is what is killing our economy. Why our politicians don't see that is beyond me. I tell my dad all the time that one potential solution to the recession is to put heavy tariffs on imported goods.
    Rest assured, we have a backup of Farrar's car blog and it will be restored in the near future. (Steve Rice - March 2016)
    Rest assured, we have a backup of Shep's posts and all of them will be restored in the near future. (Steve Rice - March 2017)

Quote Originally Posted by stevedmc View Post
    Amen. Outsourcing is what is killing our economy. Why our politicians don't see that is beyond me. I tell my dad all the time that one potential solution to the recession is to put heavy tariffs on imported goods.
    I hate to admit it, but I have to agree with Steve on this point. It is nice to see that some companies are really trying to promote products Made in USA, but they cost.
    Keeper and seller of cocks. Currently on the ro[o]ster: 2 cocks, Big Ed and Little Ed, and 3 hens; Angelina Jolie, Missy Eliot and Jane Fonda.

I get the grudge holding, but when it starts becoming two or three generations removed it just seems silly to me. It's that kind of logic that allows for continued racial boundaries. A black person holds a grudge against the white man because he's descended from slaves, and the white man was a slave holder. Or the NA, they can hate on the white man because they invade the land, raped, murdered, and forced them on to reservations. It's the same logic. A bit more extreme, but it's generational grudge holding by parties who were never involved at all!

VIN
    I hate to admit it, but I have to agree with Steve on this point. It is nice to see that some companies are really trying to promote products Made in USA, but they cost.
    If the USA would introduce heavy tariffs on foreign products, USA stuff would suddenly seam a lot cheaper.

VIN
    Hey James... I know very little about VW Buses BUT was curious if this is the same model from Field of Dreams?
    Jeff in Dallas

My Car http://dmctx.blogspot.com

Quote Originally Posted by OverlandMan View Post
    Hey James... I know very little about VW Buses BUT was curious if this is the same model from Field of Dreams?
    I dunno. Lemme check, but I think that was just a Transporter.

Yeah it was a red Transporter. I'm pretty sure it was a few years earlier that mine.
    Cool thing about this one is that being a '78 it's got the 2.0L with L-Jet, and it has hydraulic lifters so you don't have to go in an manually adjust valves every 5-6000 miles.
    Last edited by thirdmanj; 11-11-2013 at 05:26 PM.

Devout Follower Of He Who Walks Behind The Rows NightFlyer's Avatar
    VIN
    I get the grudge holding, but when it starts becoming two or three generations removed it just seems silly to me. It's that kind of logic that allows for continued racial boundaries. A black person holds a grudge against the white man because he's descended from slaves, and the white man was a slave holder. Or the NA, they can hate on the white man because they invade the land, raped, murdered, and forced them on to reservations. It's the same logic. A bit more extreme, but it's generational grudge holding by parties who were never involved at all!
    The examples you cite are totally different situations, however. Slavery effectively ended in 1865. I'm not aware of a single former slave holder or actual former slave that are still alive today - are you? The NA situation has different aspects to it - 1) many tribes entered into treaties with our federal government; 2) some tribes declared and fought wars against our federal government and lost; and 3) many American (primarily of European decent) settlers faced 'unsocial' treatment from the NA's as well. In any respect, I'm not aware of any tribal members from the era of manifest destiny that are still alive today - are you? And the federal government continues to spend billions annually supporting the remaining sovereign NA tribes in addition to exempting them from federal income taxation.

Contrast your examples to WWII vets - many of whom are still alive today.

Plus, the examples you cite are those which generate 'negative' emotive responses. My conviction to consumerism of domestic products is a position that generates a positive / patriotic emotive response.

Finally, let's not forget that Asian manufacturing is done on a wholly unequal playing field with low to nonexistent environmental regulation, low to nonexistent worker safety regulation, comparatively low worker compensatory benefit, low to nonexistent product/legal liability, low to nonexistent compliance with internationally recognized intellectual property rights, low to nonexistent multi-level governmental regulatory schemes, low to nonexistent taxation, government subsidization (they pick the winners), currency manipulation, and unequal trade agreements/enforcement. Last I checked, these all generate negative emotive responses to those who are realistically honest about the situation.

They only way that one could support this situation by actively purchasing such goods is out of pure ignorance/empathy, or they've adapted a NIMBY attitude (that is of course until they lose their job - however, even then, most end up pointing the finger and putting the blame on government and corporate greed / class warfare instead of looking in the mirror).
    "Driving Concours - proving it's possible with every mile!"

--Josh S.