Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: A cheap and easy way to repair saggy seats

VIN

A cheap and easy way to repair saggy seats

The title says it all but I will repeat what it says. Basically if your seats are saggy you can try repairing them with a few ribbon straps. This job is very easy to do and Brandon was very happy to sit in his refurbished seats.

Rest assured, we have a backup of Farrar's car blog and it will be restored in the near future. (Steve Rice - March 2016)
    Rest assured, we have a backup of Shep's posts and all of them will be restored in the near future. (Steve Rice - March 2017)

Devout Follower Of He Who Walks Behind The Rows NightFlyer's Avatar
    VIN
    Duct tape might have been a better bet
    "Driving Concours - proving it's possible with every mile!"

--Josh S.

My sorta local Sears had single piece lashing straps, $9.99 for a pack of 4. "Sheffield" brand Part #60057. They weren't hanging up but were on a display island, so I don't know if they are regular stock.

Bill Robertson

VIN
    Quote Originally Posted by content22207 View Post
    My sorta local Sears had single piece lashing straps, $9.99 for a pack of 4. "Sheffield" brand Part #60057. They weren't hanging up but were on a display island, so I don't know if they are regular stock.

Bill Robertson
    I saw some at my local Do it Best, Tom's Hardware Do it Center, in Portland, MI, last time I was there. Can't recall the brand or price, but for some reason $2-$4 each sounds right.

--Josh S.

To work as pictured in the video the straps need to be single piece, not the two piece variety (a short tail with hook attached to the cam buckle). We had to modify Brandon's two piece WalMart straps into single piecers by stapling the cam buckles on. Less optimal than factory sewn straps, but we put enough staples in that they should be OK. Other problem with two piece straps is the cam buckle tends to be larger -- I am hoping Brandon does not gain so much weight that he accidentally releases the buckles pressing the seat bottom towards the floor.

Lowes used to sell single piece lashing straps, but they don't anymore. Nor does Home Despot, Northern Tool, Autozone, Advance, or Wally World. Tractor Supply has them for $4 apiece -- still not too bad at $16 (versus $10) per seat.

Bill Robertson

VIN
    OK, the lashing straps that Do it Best Hardware Centers carry are single piece 1" x 9' packaged by Indiana Marine Co., item #f05361.

http://www.reunitestephanieandisabella.com/ltdtypog.htm

My local Do it Best Hardware Center, Tom's in Portland, MI, had them listed for $6.99/ea.

--Josh S.

VIN
    Bill called asking me to put this video up on DMCtoday. Apparently it is already up here. So here is a shameless bump so the guy he was talking to can easily find it.
    Rest assured, we have a backup of Farrar's car blog and it will be restored in the near future. (Steve Rice - March 2016)
    Rest assured, we have a backup of Shep's posts and all of them will be restored in the near future. (Steve Rice - March 2017)

Two seat projects actually this weekend: Matt from Manhattan discovered he needs to reinforce his rubber seat bottom, and Louie Jugeau got his seats recovered in the motel lounge:

LouieSeats1.jpg

Bill Robertson

Quote Originally Posted by content22207 View Post
    Two seat projects actually this weekend: Matt from Manhattan discovered he needs to reinforce his rubber seat bottom, and Louie Jugeau got his seats recovered in the motel lounge:

LouieSeats1.jpg

Bill Robertson

ROFL how do you get away with this shit?

My first memory of Bill "Let's Fix It Right Here, Right Now" Robinson is watching him change out his otterstat in a hotel parking lot. That was 2004.

More exciting was changing out Louie Golden's radiator the next day.

Bill Robertson