Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Looking for a second DeLorean. $15k

You don't want this car -- it's a museum piece with extremely little sunlight exposure and only 1,000 miles of real world use. Looks more like a showroom display than a road warrior.

Bill Robertson

VIN
    Ahhhh, yeah I want something I can drive with. I'd like to steer away from a garage concourse car.

Plus 1000 miles means it will more than likely need everything

VIN
    Btw if one is found with a bad injection system I'm open to carb 😉

Engine isn't locked up, but the K-Jet doesn't work (car runs on starting fluid). Would probably need one of those bolt on & go carb conversions.

Bill Robertson

VIN
    I called about one in Philly and spoke to the owner. I'm interested in his. And he isn't more than 2hrs away either.
    He is just taking offers for now but said he will keep me posted.

I called about the one in MI, it's for $15,9?? They admitted they didn't know anything about it. I'm a little hesitant about it because when I bought 5898 it had all it's records and updates as well. The TABs were the only thing safety wise I changed. They did inform me the car was in Pittsburg Pa orignially any the owner sold it to them.
    But they don't has any records or info besides the price. If they were to bring it down a few thousdand I would be willing to take a look.

As for the Red one in NJ, I wouldn't mind that. I may have to look into that one. However that paint has to go!

How do you search Craigslist for DeLoreans in the entire site?
    It usually shows me a handful and mostly salvage cars. Apparently two salvage Ds may be with mine or near it. Scranton has one and Duryea, the town mine is sitting in so shows one too.

I want to possibly bid on that own that is at $7000 now. It has a clean title and runs. I'm sure the price will go up, if not. I'm sure the work will be there.

I sent Chris Burns a friend request as well a message about what cars/conditions/prices he has

Thanks for the links too!

Devout Follower Of He Who Walks Behind The Rows NightFlyer's Avatar
    VIN
    Quote Originally Posted by mydmc5898 View Post
    I called about the one in MI, it's for $15,9?? They admitted they didn't know anything about it. I'm a little hesitant about it because when I bought 5898 it had all it's records and updates as well. The TABs were the only thing safety wise I changed. They did inform me the car was in Pittsburg Pa orignially any the owner sold it to them.
    But they don't has any records or info besides the price. If they were to bring it down a few thousdand I would be willing to take a look.
    Which one in Michigan - the one in Flint or the one in Marquette? If you're a serious as cancer buyer, I could check out the one in Flint for you whenever, and either I or another owner could probably check out the one in Marquette in the next couple of weeks.

How do you search Craigslist for DeLoreans in the entire site?
    It's not the best search engine, but it's what I use:

http://www.adhuntr.com/
    "Driving Concours - proving it's possible with every mile!"

--Josh S.

VIN
    The one in Flint seems good, I just don't know how that auction works. It has a future sales date too.

The other car is the one I called on. Not happy with the rust on the frame but it looks like surface rust. So as long as it's not that bad. I'm happy.
    I would jus need to know what's new, or looks new and what needs attention.

The second set of ads you sent me, the first Philly car. I called the other day. Seemed very nice and made the car avaliable to me to go down and look through. I just have about 4-5 weeks until I can commit to a buy.

The other Philly car for 10k turned out to be a prank. Oh well.

I also called about a Florida car on there for $11,500.

Thank you very much for the research!

I am very serious about buying. I want to try pre qualifying for a car loan just to see what is avaliable to me fund wise. My banks seem optomistic though.

I was thinking of asking owners near these cars if they can take a look for me. After all who better than a seasoned owner!

Thanks again!
    Darryl

Devout Follower Of He Who Walks Behind The Rows NightFlyer's Avatar
    VIN
    First and foremost, I should probably preface the fact that I'm not one of those who believe that everything needs to be changed out / upgraded / replaced / etc in order to make a DeLorean reliable/dependable. I base this belief on my own experience.

I purchased my car 12 years ago. I'm currently still running the Ducey, still running the plastic header/overflow bottle, still running the stock Lucas electrics, still running the stock radiator with the plastic side tanks, still running all the original rubber cooling hoses, still running the original door struts from '81, still running the original belts from '81, still running the original Sylvania headlights from '81, still running the original wiper blades, up until a couple months ago I was still running the original Goodyear NCTs (I only changed those out to preserve the NCTs for special events), still running the stock suspension, still running the stock TABs, still running all the original fuel hoses in the engine bay, etc. My car is 99.8% exactly as it left Dunmurry and the Troy, MI, QAC. I think you get the picture.

My point is that a properly maintained / loved / cared for all original car can be just as reliable / dependable as one that has had every single upgrade under the sun done to it, and maybe even more or so. I've taken my car on 2,000 mile cross country trips and wouldn't hesitate to do so again. The only time it ever left me stranded was close to home (luckily) due to a blown fuel steel/hard line - which actually turned out to be my fault, as I had excessively twisted that line when changing the fuel accumulator.

Another point I'd like to make is that the pricing of DeLoreans is premised on how badly the owner wants to sell. Again, my experience is a case in point. The PO of my car originally listed the car (a near mint, low mileage concours example that had been stored in a carcoon for much of its life) for sale on DMCNews for $36k, and it was well worth every penny of that. I ended up offering and paying exactly half that price though, as I guess I was the only serious buyer around when they wanted to sell. You never know who might just say yes until you ask...

In fact a new owner from WI just picked up a hell of car for under $10k that was for sale in Fenton, MI, about a month or two ago. That story is over on Talk.

The one in Flint seems good, I just don't know how that auction works. It has a future sales date too.
    I'm not exactly sure either. It's a copart auction and the original page can be found here:

http://www.copart.com/c2/homeSearch....SEARCH_RESULTS

If you wanted to find out, I'd be more than willing to go take a look, get detailed photos, and inspect the car for you. Just let me know.

The other car is the one I called on. Not happy with the rust on the frame but it looks like surface rust. So as long as it's not that bad. I'm happy.
    I would jus need to know what's new, or looks new and what needs attention.
    The frame rust is the only concern that I had about this car, but I concur that from the pics, it would appear to be mostly surface rust. An in person inspection would be absolutely necessary. I could do it, but it would require a couple weeks to work out exactly when. Again, just let me know.

That's about all the online ads that I could currently find within $5k of your target price range.

Best of luck with the search and shoot me a PM if you want me to check out any of the MI cars.
    "Driving Concours - proving it's possible with every mile!"

--Josh S.