Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Looking for a second DeLorean. $15k

VIN

Looking for a second DeLorean. $15k

I will be looking for a new DeLorean in the near future. I'm really happy with any configuration.
    However these won't hurt: grey interior and grooved hood. The Miss would like an automatic, however I'm sure I can teach her how to drive stick.
    I know for $15k it will need plenty of work and much much $$$ spent. I'm willing to look at cheaper cars and accept lesser quality cars as well.
    I would prefer it be in PA, NJ, or NY areas. However I'm willing to see others. I would also like to have any documentation of work preformed too.
    If you or know of anyone selling or soon to be selling please pass my info on to them, or send me theirs.

Again the above is preferred but I wouldn't turn down a good deal either.
    I will take great care of this one as well. I would like to be able to start new memories and be able to pass this one down.

Thanks again,
    Darryl Givens
    MyDMC5898@yahoo.com
    570-328-1363

Devout Follower Of He Who Walks Behind The Rows NightFlyer's Avatar
    VIN
    My honest advice is if you're going to lay out $15k for a car, be willing to travel cross country for it. As long as you don't limit yourself geographically and are patient, I'm 100% certain that you'll find a hell of a car for $15k. I only paid a little more for mine, which was/is in near flawless concours condition.
    "You can never use too much anti-seize!"

--Josh S.

I transported my second DeLorean from New Jersey to DC on a UHaul tow dolly (thence on a friend's trailer). Anybody who tells you a DeLorean can't be dollied is just plain wrong (#5939 also was dollied to/from Fayetteville for its windshield replacement). If you buy a distant DeLorean, I recommend borrowing somebody's truck and dollying it home. Tow dollies are *EASY* to control (much easier than a trailer). They also place less stress on the tow vehicle. And you don't need a trailer brake controller. If you get an automatic remember to remove the drive axles otherwise you will destroy the transmission (straight drives can be dollied in neutral).

Bill Robertson

VIN
    If you do not have the time, I have had great luck with Uship. Put out a bid and several shippers will bite. Talk back and fourth (get a feel for the quality of the shipper) with them or just pick the cheapest, lots of success stories going through that site.

Had my car shipped for Nashville, TN to Portal, ND

Devout Follower Of He Who Walks Behind The Rows NightFlyer's Avatar
    VIN
    I trailer'd mine from Louisville, KY (even though it was fully capable of being driven back, I purchased it in March and there was still salt on the roads in the northern midwest). 1,300 mile round trip. Trailer didn't cause any extra stress on my tow vehicle - with my truck, you don't even realize you're pulling a trailer

IM001722.jpg
    "You can never use too much anti-seize!"

--Josh S.

VIN
    I don't mind waiting, honestly there is no rush. I have a good month before 5898 is settled.

I don't mind teaching her to drive. 5-speed. But an auto would be easier since we live in a city. We were thinking of moving to Philly some day too.

As for towing it, I didn't know that about autos... Interesting. Right before 5898 automatic crapped out it was towed for a bit on a dolly by some local garage.

I will be patient, just figured I would put it out there. Just in case someone knows someone etc...

-thanks
    Darryl

Trailers can be woggley, especially if you're not experienced pulling them (which includes me -- I only pull one once or twice per year). Tow dollies by contrast are very unwoggley.

One word of caution is the wheel straps. I don't trust them any further than I could throw one. I always lash the front suspension to the dolly cradle with ratchet binders.

Bill Robertson

VIN
    Doesn't Bill know of a $15k car somewhere in Kentucky?
    Rest assured, we have a backup of Farrar's car blog and it will be restored in the near future. (Steve Rice - March 2016)
    Rest assured, we have a backup of Shep's posts and all of them will be restored in the near future. (Steve Rice - March 2017)

5 speed -- doesn't qualify.

Bill Robertson

VIN
    She is open to learning how to drive a 5 speed. An auto would just be better for our area. Any easier for her.
    If the car in Kentucky is in good shape I would be very interested!

I just need to know what was done and what's left etc...

Bill you can pass my info to them or the other way around.

The more local the better just because Lauren is seeking a teaching job and works two others besides subbing. And I have school and work. So traveling is hard. I would need a trusted owner or expert to look