Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Shocks/struts Part Deux

VIN
    Blog Entries
    I have a completely different car now. I had no idea how beat up my shocks were. One of the fronts was just nothing, about 2 inches of free play and I could easily work the remaining travel myself. One of the rears was busted. On the way home I was hitting humps and bumps that I inadvertently would cringe right before impact but she just floated right across them. I initially set my shocks at 25% from full soft at all 4 corners. After the drive home, I really don't think I need to change it any further.

The alignment shop didn't get to it and I wanted to pick it up today as I was working the next several days. The owner said there were no less than 30 people over the course of a few hours stopping and trying to buy it and pestering him over it so much that he hid it around back. I'm glad I didn't do the alignment as it no longer pulls, no doubt it was pulling from the collapsed front shock.

Three rules of DeLorean ownership:
    1: Always use the right tool for the job.
    2: A hammer is always the right tool for the job.
    3: Anything can be used as a hammer.

VIN
    I don't know much about suspension, but I make an active effort to avoid potholes. However, I was pretty impressed after watching this DeLorean tech video:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RNFKLkVN0s8

No one has tried to buy my car yet. Perhaps they know better.

VIN
    Blog Entries
    I have pretty much the same setup. AVOs, upper shock tower brace, I don't have Josh's stabilizer bars but my LCA's are boxed in.

I'm not 100% sold on poly bushings. Seems like I have read too many stories on them breaking apart. If my shock bushings ever fail, I'm going back with good old fashioned rubber.

For my style of driving, what I have will do perfect.

VIN
    Blog Entries
    After about 125 miles of test driving on some of the more bumpier roads I could find, I am very very pleased. Last week I did a light detail removing most of the summer driving season's trademark brake dust.

I will give it a more thorough detail over the winter.

20201116_181350.jpg

20201116_181429.jpg

Do you have the original lower control arms on your car? I want to buy these same shocks and I am running original lower control arms. I don't see anything wrong with them but I'm debating on whether its worth replacing them or is the "if it ain't broke don't fix it' philosophy better. New LCAs are expensive!

VIN
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Totally 80's View Post
    Do you have the original lower control arms on your car? I want to buy these same shocks and I am running original lower control arms. I don't see anything wrong with them but I'm debating on whether its worth replacing them or is the "if it ain't broke don't fix it' philosophy better. New LCAs are expensive!
    They are OE but have been boxed in. Doesn't change the mounting points any, just stiffens them.

Quote Originally Posted by Dead Lesbian Goat View Post
    They are OE but have been boxed in. Doesn't change the mounting points any, just stiffens them.
    Yeah I looked at boxing mine in but when I did the math on my time it was only slightly more to just buy new ones (and sell the old ones), since you have to remove them entirely to box them in and then reinstall.