Thread: Snake bit my DeLorean

VIN
    Blog Entries

Snake bit my DeLorean

After our "spirited" drive on the Snake, I did get some pretty noticeable brake fade toward the end of our run. I didn't think much about it since I was using them fairly aggressively.

On the way home I get a high pitched squeek. It sounds EXACTLY like a low pad squeal plate. It starts at speed and goes away for a minute or so when I hit the brakes, goes away when I turn the wheel. Only problem is these are brand new EBC pads and there are no low pad squeal plates.

I was 90% sure it was the left front. Today I pulled the pads and hoping to see something embedded but nothing. I can only assume I glazed the pads? I sanded the pads and rotors and reassembled. Hopefully the annoyance is gone on my next drive.
    Three rules of DeLorean ownership:
    1: Always use the right tool for the job.
    2: A hammer is always the right tool for the job.
    3: Anything can be used as a hammer.

Are you running stock rotors or vented? I noticed pretty severe fade with the solid rotors, but since moving to vented rotors and Bosch Blue pads I've gotten through 2 track days braking very aggressively and no fade at all.
    Kolin Brown
    President
    Indiana DeLorean Motor Club

VIN 3513

www.in-dmc.org
    www.facebook.com/INDMC

VIN
    Blog Entries
    Yes, stock rotors. I need to take it on a drive to see if the rub is gone. I have to get it to 60mph to make the problem start. It did sound like metal to metal so I don't know if me cleaning the pads will help.

Devout Follower Of He Who Walks Behind The Rows NightFlyer's Avatar
    VIN
    Did you check your air pressure at all up front - I was down about 4psi on both fronts following The Snake.

I know that wouldn't be causing your squeek. The only other thing that I can think of that could cause squeeking as you describe would be wheel bearings - OEM's, whether original or replacement, weren't packed very well. I just rebuilt my originals about two months ago, packing them solid with Lucas Red n Tacky.
    "You can never use too much anti-seize!"

--Josh S.

VIN
    Blog Entries
    I thought about the wheel bearing but they usually have a roar and are pretty constant. This would totally dissapear as soon as I touched the brakes and would eventually reappear.

I haven't driven it yet because I reused my old copper seals on your CPR unit. When my new one arrives and I put new seals in place, I will take it out and try to replicate the squeak.

VIN
    I drove like a little old lady going up and down that mountain. Glad I did. My brakes still work.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

VIN
    Blog Entries
    When I came around that curve and was nose to nose with the state trooper parked, I was sure I was going to get stopped, especially when he turned on his lights. I think he was just saying "pretty cool guys, just take it back a notch ok?"

VIN
    Blog Entries
    Took her out for a spin today. It's nice to have my car start right up, idle perfectly, and just drive it cold without it needing to warm up. After sanding the rotor and pad surface, the squeak in the pads seems to be gone. I must have glazed the pad a little...the "high performance EBC pad" that is. Apparently a DeLorean's supercar like performance is just too much for EBC green stuff pads.

VIN
    Blog Entries
    I put over 100 miles on her today after the new CPR and FD. I got on it a few times and I swear I think it has more power. The old fuel distributor must have been dumping a ton of gas in it because I had to enrich the mixture almost a full turn after installing the new one. (I think that's right, turning clockwise enriches the mixture by adding less air).

It was a fun day.

Administrator
    VIN
    Quote Originally Posted by Dead Lesbian Goat View Post
    I put over 100 miles on her today after the new CPR and FD. I got on it a few times and I swear I think it has more power. The old fuel distributor must have been dumping a ton of gas in it because I had to enrich the mixture almost a full turn after installing the new one. (I think that's right, turning clockwise enriches the mixture by adding less air).

It was a fun day.
    Nice!

The driving season where I live will be done soon. This weekend the weather is nice; tomorrow I'm going to do a thorough cleaning/light refrain, then take a nice long ride as well.

Possibly will be the last ride of the year, and maybe the last ride for me & 4728 if it sells this year.

Sent from my LGL164VL using Tapatalk
    Bro....do you own a DeLorean?