Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: DeLoreanGo fuel pump woes

VIN
    Blog Entries

DeLoreanGo fuel pump woes

My wife and I took the car out for it's first real world cruise tonight. We went to Johnson City in shock of how quiet and vacant it was but about 30 minutes into our drive, I heard my brand new fuel pump singing the familiar song of being hot.

Now if you followed my winter thread, you know it's a brand new pump from DeLoreanGo, new filter too. I also insulated the tank from the coolant lines that run down the sides and insulated the front from hot air using thermo barrier. Tonight was a mere 75-80 degrees and a relatively short cruise. If this pump gets hot under these conditions, what chance does it have when summer gets here???

To be fair, it wasn't a loud hum, but definitely loud enough to make me feel uncomfortable, changing pitch every so often too. I went and filled the tank up with my go to ethanol free gas, the owner pulled up and we ended up chatting for an hour or so (side story, very nice man and a true gear head, was a well known drag racer in the 60's). By then, the pump was quiet again on the short drive home.

Still though, this pump didn't even have 50 miles on it before it overheated on a mild night! I would love an OE pump that is as good as the Bosch units were before their quality went to pot.
    Three rules of DeLorean ownership:
    1: Always use the right tool for the job.
    2: A hammer is always the right tool for the job.
    3: Anything can be used as a hammer.

I've not heard of a single complaint of the new all in one pumps making noise yet. I wonder why that design fixes the problem.
    Dave M vin 03572
    http://dm-eng.weebly.com/

VIN
    Blog Entries
    I will buy any pump that works at this point. I just want one that doesn't fall apart in a Tennessee summer.

DMCH pumps are out of stock but I'm not 100% sold on them.

Maybe I'll try the vintage Porsche forums.

VIN
    Does Arran include a warranty with the pump?
    Jesse Baker
    VIN 628
    Black Interior, Automatic

VIN
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by J. Baker View Post
    Does Arran include a warranty with the pump?
    I never asked. I don't want another oe pump because NOBODY makes a good oe style pump anymore. I may have been wrong about Deloreango. Both the pump and o2 sensor(I got the "better" one) came in a clear bag, no box, no brand name that I could see. I noticed on my dwell meter the DeLoreango "better" o2 sensor wasn't giving me the voltage swings I was used to seeing as well as not going closed loop till it was very hot. I'm getting the vibe this stuff may be no better than Hervey's cross referenced junk with the manufacturer name hidden or obscured.

Trying to find quality in the Delorean vendor world is proving difficult. I'm getting the most expensive o2 sensor I can find locally and I'm getting a new design pump module from Josh at Delorean Industries. He told me the low down on the pumps and even told me that I can pretty much get the same pump he sells locally with a few alterations but I appreciated his candor. Although I may spend a little more for his pump kit, it does include everything needed and I wouldn't be saving that much vs. supporting a vendor who seems to strive to produce quality parts in a market where the desire for quality is hard to find.

Dear vendors, I don't want your Chinese junk I could easily get off Ebay. I do business with vendors because I was under the assumption you wouldn't sell me chinese junk. I was under the assumption you did the research to offer the best parts available. I was wrong.

Its super frustrating that the default level of quality is cheap. I get it to some extent, but if a top shelf option exists, offer it!

I'm to the point where I'll just fabricate what I need unless it's truly unique, or if the vendor solution is known proven quality.

The pump situation is already troubled by a fuel system design that's a factory beta design (heat problem, goofy pickup) and that running K-jet level primary pressure is a challenge for anything but quality. But even with lower EFI pressures I still blew a fuel line off of the modern module because the hoses provided were not proper for the stock fittings.

VIN
    I'm sorry to hear about you problems especially since it's a new part. I really hope this is because of a one off defective part and DeLoreanGo makes it right. I have never been dissatisfied with anything from them to date.
    Nick A.

1988 BMW 325iS - March 1988 build
    1982 DeLorean DMC-12 - December 1981 build

VIN
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by AugustneverEnds View Post
    I'm sorry to hear about you problems especially since it's a new part. I really hope this is because of a one off defective part and DeLoreanGo makes it right. I have never been dissatisfied with anything from them to date.
    Thanks all, I'm not really upset because there are a lot more important things going on in the world right now and I'm more of a big picture guy. I'm not even asking for a refund. I never had a problem till this last order. I'm going to cease ordering from DeLoreango and take the DMCMW/DPI route for the time being. In the text on Deloreango's site it said it was sourced in Germany. I took that to mean built in Germany but I guess "sourced" and "manufactured" are two separate things. I bet the O2 sensor has a similar story being both parts were sent in a Zip-Loc bag. DPI sells the Bosch o2 sensor so I ordered a new style pump that still uses my OE fuel level sensor design and tacked an o2 sensor on the order.

VIN
    Quote Originally Posted by Dead Lesbian Goat View Post
    Thanks all, I'm not really upset because there are a lot more important things going on in the world right now and I'm more of a big picture guy. I'm not even asking for a refund. I never had a problem till this last order. I'm going to cease ordering from DeLoreango and take the DMCMW/DPI route for the time being. In the text on Deloreango's site it said it was sourced in Germany. I took that to mean built in Germany but I guess "sourced" and "manufactured" are two separate things. I bet the O2 sensor has a similar story being both parts were sent in a Zip-Loc bag. DPI sells the Bosch o2 sensor so I ordered a new style pump that still uses my OE fuel level sensor design and tacked an o2 sensor on the order.
    I guess "sourced" might mean it's from a German company who happens to make their stuff in China or assemble Chinese parts in Germany. I'm a barber and the latest gag in cutting tools is "...made in the USA of foreign (Chinese) and domestic parts". I go through two Andis T-blade trimmers a year now. My Dad's 1990 purchased Oster Model 76 still hums like a bird.

Kudos for keeping a positive outlook and perspective
    Nick A.

1988 BMW 325iS - March 1988 build
    1982 DeLorean DMC-12 - December 1981 build

VIN
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by AugustneverEnds View Post

Kudos for keeping a positive outlook and perspective
    The only thing I am really bummed out is I had one nice lookin' fuel pump area to brag about! Now I got to rip all that out!