Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 29

Thread: Thug Tools

  1. #1
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2019
    Location
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Posts
    230

    Thug Tools

    Over on talk you clowns suggested this

    https://www.harborfreight.com/6-in-D...per-63711.html

    This is actually something I need. And I ordered the watch kit.

    But what tools ought I have? I have a toolbox with all the usual stuff. Some of the items date from when I was a kid and are hand me downs (they don't make them like they used to etc) but it's a real motley collection.

    What tools ought I have in my car repair collection? I'll also be doing some antiques repair. Since these are meant to last decades, there's no excuse to not pay up.

    Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk

  2. #2
    Three pin male pin relay jumper (for RPM relay). Two pin male pin jumper (relay bypass, headlights etc.). Schematic, Voltmeter. Wire cutters. Long nose vise grips. Fix a flat. Then normal wrenches and screwdrivers.
    Dave M vin 03572
    http://dm-eng.weebly.com/

  3. #3
    "The Goat" Dead Lesbian Goat's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2014
    Location
    East TN
    VIN
    05609
    Posts
    6,111
    Blog Entries
    6
    Dwell meter, fuel pressure test kit (they told I needed one but I have yet to use it), good set of allen T wrenches, multi meter, soldering iron, wire and heat shrink( for all the electrical fixes...there will be electrical fixes), tech manual or 24/7 access to David T, whichever is easier.
    Three rules of DeLorean ownership:
    1: Always use the right tool for the job.
    2: A hammer is always the right tool for the job.
    3: Anything can be used as a hammer.

  4. #4
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2019
    Location
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Posts
    230
    Quote Originally Posted by Dead Lesbian Goat View Post
    Dwell meter, fuel pressure test kit (they told I needed one but I have yet to use it), good set of allen T wrenches, multi meter, soldering iron, wire and heat shrink( for all the electrical fixes...there will be electrical fixes), tech manual or 24/7 access to David T, whichever is easier.
    Ah yes, I had forgotten about Allen T, David's younger brother.

    Why specifically T allen wrenches?

    Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk

  5. #5
    "The Goat" Dead Lesbian Goat's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2014
    Location
    East TN
    VIN
    05609
    Posts
    6,111
    Blog Entries
    6
    Quote Originally Posted by MrChocky View Post
    Ah yes, I had forgotten about Allen T, David's younger brother.

    Why specifically T allen wrenches?

    Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk
    I use mine a lot. No other reason. Makes adjusting the mixture a breeze and you can get a set cheap at Harbor Freight. I got metric and SAE.

    15852537180095303609589284651190.jpg
    Three rules of DeLorean ownership:
    1: Always use the right tool for the job.
    2: A hammer is always the right tool for the job.
    3: Anything can be used as a hammer.

  6. #6
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2019
    Location
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Posts
    230
    Quote Originally Posted by Dead Lesbian Goat View Post
    I use mine a lot. No other reason. Makes adjusting the mixture a breeze and you can get a set cheap at Harbor Freight. I got metric and SAE.

    15852537180095303609589284651190.jpg
    That orange one looks like Trump.

    Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk

  7. #7
    Junior Member J. Baker's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2017
    Location
    Cookeville, TN
    VIN
    00628
    Posts
    5
    The most important tool would definitely be a good 1/4" drive and metric socket set with a few extensions. It damn near doesn't matter what you are doing, a socket will be needed in some way or another.

    Chocky, whenever you do get your DeLorean, build yourself an emergency bag with common tools, jumpers, etc. I use two of these from Harbor Freight, specifically one for tools and the other for electrical stuff and a few spare parts (this being my "I dont really ever need this stuff" bag).
    Jesse Baker
    VIN 628
    Black Interior, Automatic

  8. #8
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2019
    Location
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Posts
    230
    Quote Originally Posted by J. Baker View Post
    The most important tool would definitely be a good 1/4" drive and metric socket set with a few extensions. It damn near doesn't matter what you are doing, a socket will be needed in some way or another.

    Chocky, whenever you do get your DeLorean, build yourself an emergency bag with common tools, jumpers, etc. I use two of these from Harbor Freight, specifically one for tools and the other for electrical stuff and a few spare parts (this being my "I dont really ever need this stuff" bag).
    Ah yes, indeed. I carry all this in my Subaru, but it's really for the benefit of other stuff. But I will definitely tool up for a DeLorean.

    As for "whenever you do get your DeLorean", I finally have the garage space, cash, time and enough knowledge to get in trouble, as well as 2 very suitable cars available to purchase, but lockdown seems set to continue for another month.

  9. #9
    fire extinguisher

  10. #10
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2019
    Location
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Posts
    230
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Jim View Post
    fire extinguisher
    Good idea. And what brand of brake cleaner (assuming it matters much).

    As an aside, what's with selling dirty cars?

    Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •