Page 10 of 15 FirstFirst ... 89101112 ... LastLast

Thread: Your winter holiday to do list

VIN
    Blog Entries
    I have received several comments saying not to waste my time cleaning. I did this at Mercedes with the same type of injectors with mixed results. For 360.00 bucks, I'll just replace them.

Edit: I did look into my plate and the pipe is indeed seated. My car runs pretty smoothly now too. Maybe by pressing the plate and forcing the injectors to fire more fuel than usual I dislodged something. Anyway, I'm going to hold off on ordering injectors until I start it again tomorrow morning cold.

As it stands right now, the winter refresh has set me back $1,000 for what I have done. Some new parts I have had for years before installing so I'm not even counting them and I'm not counting replacing the hood either. When it's all said and done if I'm at 2,500(including hood) or less I will be happy. I do have to admit it has been fun working on the car (to a degree) and finally organizing my garage and getting my tool box and tools all in one place is something I should have done a few years ago.
    Three rules of DeLorean ownership:
    1: Always use the right tool for the job.
    2: A hammer is always the right tool for the job.
    3: Anything can be used as a hammer.

Quote Originally Posted by Dead Lesbian Goat View Post
    I have received several comments saying not to waste my time cleaning. I did this at Mercedes with the same type of injectors with mixed results. For 360.00 bucks, I'll just replace them.

Edit: I did look into my plate and the pipe is indeed seated. My car runs pretty smoothly now too. Maybe by pressing the plate and forcing the injectors to fire more fuel than usual I dislodged something. Anyway, I'm going to hold off on ordering injectors until I start it again tomorrow morning cold.

As it stands right now, the winter refresh has set me back $1,000 for what I have done. Some new parts I have had for years before installing so I'm not even counting them and I'm not counting replacing the hood either. When it's all said and done if I'm at 2,500(including hood) or less I will be happy. I do have to admit it has been fun working on the car (to a degree) and finally organizing my garage and getting my tool box and tools all in one place is something I should have done a few years ago.

Glad you're getting sorted. Was convinced one of the side channels in my rad was leaking. Whereupon I performed my usual post diagnosis routine of crying and punching myself in the balls at the thought of having to pull a radiator. The guys at AIDS knew it was merely another errant clamp. I got lucky thanks to AIDS.
    Bungee Cup Holder Guru

I also don't put much faith into injector cleaning. It may be able to help with old fuel deposits but rust or solids it can not do unless you can reverse flow. It is my understanding the injector has a filter screen inside the injector but I've not opened one yet.

I had bought a set of injectors from Hervey and got his plated option. That was a mistake because his plating process made rust form inside the injectors. They seemed to spray OK but I never trusted to keep them in my engine.
    Dave M vin 03572
    http://dm-eng.weebly.com/

VIN
    Blog Entries
    So far so good. Ever since I pushed down on the metering plate to make sure my air pipe was seated correctly, it starts everytime warm or cold. I still think it would benefit from a new set of injectors. Mine looked ok but did have some carbon built up around the edges. I cleaned as much as I could with a pick but there may have been some behind the jets I missed. It's something I will circle back to in March or April once I get my head above water with the rest of the car. Next is to get some more seals and get those frequency valve lines in place.

VIN
    Blog Entries
    Car still starts at any temperature, engine smoothness is back to normal but I think there are improvements to be had so I went ahead and ordered a new set of injectors. I believe I have been listening too closely these last few days and I am hearing a bit of a hesitation and slight stumbling at idle. I have always attributed it to the cam but I think I have at least one injector that is struggling. Also ordered a new set of upper hoses to change out when I do the coolant and brake fluid changes.

VIN
    Blog Entries
    Injectors and new coolant hoses arrived today.

Feeling cute, may get to work on it again before March, IDK.

VIN
    Blog Entries
    Too cold to mess with the injectors tonight but it wasn't too cold to finish what I started a few months ago. In the mail straight from Wuhan...what was the hold up?

20200229_175105.jpg

Screenshot_20200229-180512_Gallery.jpg

I'm still waiting on these to do the hood strut mounts. Depending on what material is used, I may strip and polish the triangle mounting plates.

SmartSelect_20200229-180856_eBay.jpg

VIN
    Blog Entries
    So I got the injectors installed today and finished up my frequency braided lines. This I was not crazy about. The barbed fitting on the return line side included a short rubber hose and a pair of fuel clamps. Since the valve has a barbed fitting on it, you cut off the OE line and use a short piece of hose to mate the two together(like fixing a leak in a garden hose). This totally defeats the purpose of having a braided line to begin with and being directly over the exhaust manifold, this is the absolute worst place to have a leak at. I guess the return side isn't under that much pressure but if I had it to do over again I probably would have just left it stock. The supply side was also concerning as the 90 degree AN fitting really needed to be a U or 180 degree fitting. There was more stress on the line than I was comfortable with but with a bit of repositioning and rerouting I made it work. Still would have preferred a U shaped hard line from the valve instead of a 90.

Injectors seem to make the engine run much smoother, especially on acceleration. After installation and a test drive, the mixture was way rich which wasn't suprising. Here is a pic of a few of the old onjectors including the one I suspected as being a bad spray pattern and a new one for comparison. Maybe later I will test spray patterns on a few of the old ones if I can find a fitting that will work.

20200301_134903.jpg20200301_134926.jpg

All this work on the frequency valve did get me to thinking about some kind of shield or catch pan I could install on the valve cover. If there was a break or leak, the safety device would hopefully keep fuel off the exhaust long enough for the driver to notice a running problem and stop the car before any serious damage. I have no idea what that design would look like, maybe even encapsulate the valve assembly and fittings in a type of bladder with a relief hose to redirect leaked fuel to the ground. The whole location of the frequency valve just doesn't jive with me.

The return lines to the tank have zero pressure as long as the line does not get plugged. Now one line to the FV does get pressure.
    Dave M vin 03572
    http://dm-eng.weebly.com/

VIN
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Dead Lesbian Goat View Post
    Pouring rain all week this week including this morning so I took today off and replaced my fuel pump. Easy enough. Fortunately I had a dome nut in my spares for the different check valve design. I noticed though my wiring insulation had come loose close to the plug. Upon further inspection the plug had all the tell tale signs of being hot as well as the insulation on the harness side looked like it had been hot. The contacts were very dirty and loose fitting. I removed the plug and re soldered the damaged wire to the plug, cleaned up the contacts and started the car. In less than a minute the plug was already over 100 degrees. I then remembered I had some battery plugs from my RC Jet days. These plugs are used for 18-24v batteries with about 110amp draw. They should be just fine for this job. I messed up the ends fitting the spades into the plugs but no real damage.

Once I replaced the plug I started the car and let it idle, after 15 minutes the plug and wiring were cool as a cucumber. I declared victory and wrapped a little e tape around one side just to err on the side of safety. I also left my boot cap off in an effort to keep the pump cool as possible. Actually it's been off for some time, I just chose to leave it that way.

Attachment 10394
    Attachment 10395
    Attachment 10396
    So looking through my Deloreango spares pile, I found a new set of connection fittings and rubber boots for the electric connection posts on the pump. I decided to completely redo my pump harness that I just redid a few weeks ago. I had second thoughts about the plug I originally used because it was meant for like 10 gauge wire and my pump harness looks to be around 14 so solder was used to fill in the gap and I didn't quite trust it. Picked up a universal harness at O'riley's and redid it and the pump connections. I'm glad I did as it didn't take much force to simply break the joint on one plug end.

I also took the time to pull my baffle cage and make sure the pickup screen was OK. Other than a small area of crud(which I cleaned), seemed ok.

20200302_170450.jpg

I feel much more confident about the new plug and joints.