Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

Thread: The kittens need you

A Hispanic coworker just educated me on this fun phrase: "Dar gato por liebre!"

"This expression, to give a cat for a hare, is used when you pass something off as something more valuable. Itís usually used when somebody has fallen victim to a scam or deceit upon purchasing a product or service.

The saying first came about many years ago, between the 16th and 17th centuries. At that time, people traveled by foot or on horseback and journeys took a lot longer than they do today. Posadas (inns) were establishments that would provide food and lodging for weary travelers when they stopped along the way.

However, these businesses often took advantage of the customers who were just passing through. One way to do so was to serve them cat meat (cats were street animals) and call it hare (a much more expensive meat). This way, the posadas could save money at the cost of people they would never see again.

This practice was so common at the time that it became popular for travelers to recite a kind of rhyming incantation before meals

Si eres cabrito, mantente frito;

si eres gato, salta al plato.

(If youíre goat meat, stay fried/asleep;

If youíre cat meat, jump on the plate.)"

http://blog.donquijote.org/2019/04/cat-or-hare
    Bungee Cup Holder Guru

VIN
    Quote Originally Posted by Duplicate Account View Post
    A Hispanic coworker just educated me on this fun phrase: "Dar gato por liebre!"

"This expression, to give a cat for a hare, is used when you pass something off as something more valuable. Itís usually used when somebody has fallen victim to a scam or deceit upon purchasing a product or service.

The saying first came about many years ago, between the 16th and 17th centuries. At that time, people traveled by foot or on horseback and journeys took a lot longer than they do today. Posadas (inns) were establishments that would provide food and lodging for weary travelers when they stopped along the way.

However, these businesses often took advantage of the customers who were just passing through. One way to do so was to serve them cat meat (cats were street animals) and call it hare (a much more expensive meat). This way, the posadas could save money at the cost of people they would never see again.

This practice was so common at the time that it became popular for travelers to recite a kind of rhyming incantation before meals

Si eres cabrito, mantente frito;

si eres gato, salta al plato.

(If youíre goat meat, stay fried/asleep;

If youíre cat meat, jump on the plate.)"

http://blog.donquijote.org/2019/04/cat-or-hare
    Thatís almost as many words as a book. Iím going to wait for the movie to come out.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    On September 22, 2019 I will be participating in Bike MS to raise funds and awareness for people affected by Multiple Sclerosis.

Please consider making a donation, any size helps, by clicking the link below. Anything you give goes towards helping people with MS. I do not receive one penny of your donation. Thanks.

https://secure.nationalmssociety.org...al&fr_id=30202

VIN
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by stevedmc View Post
    That’s almost as many words as a book. I’m going to wait for the movie to come out.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    LOL...I'm stealing that for one of Vegas' posts on talk!
    Starvation, overpopulation, pollution, global warming, communisim,...all DMCTalk.com's fault

VIN
    Blog Entries
    I will always help a cat in need when I can; especially when one shows up at my door.
    -Chad K.
    Previous owner of VINS: 6982, 1601, 1265, and 1269

"Count of Islandia; Colonel of the Defense Forces and Chancellor of Transportation."

VIN
    Michael,
    I must've missed this on Facebook but this is GREAT. +10 for you in my book haha. I had no idea that you were an animal lover and advocate for local rescues. My family has ran an animal rescue/sanctuary for nearly 3 decades over in Gainesboro, TN called CLAWS, which stands for Cat Lover's Alliance for Welfare and Sterilization.

If you want to check us out, our facebook page is here:
    https://www.facebook.com/clawscatsanctuary/
    Jesse Baker
    VIN 628
    Black Interior, Automatic