Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Valve Adjustment and Being 'On The Rock'

Banned From "Tight Ship"
    VIN
    Quote Originally Posted by content22207 View Post
    Valve is at least loaded, and perhaps open to some degree, when you can't put a feeler gauge between the stem and rocker arm.

Your procedure is correct -- terminology is wrong.

I thought that is what Ron was complaining about -- not the few extra seconds it takes to verify with a feeler gauge.

Bill Robertson
    FWIW- Depending on the grind, both can be open.

I wasn't complaining, nor interested in debating...especially when we both know the other knows what is going on.
    That is why I only posted "oops"...so Steve could consider rewording it for clarity. Oh, well...

Since everyone is so concerned about saving labor during a valve adjustment:

May I humbly point out that by relocating his muffler Steve does not have to push his car all over the garage to position his valves -- he simply rotates the engine with a socket wrench like a normal car.

Bill Robertson

VIN
    Quote Originally Posted by content22207 View Post
    How hard is it to try to poke a feeler gauge (that you're already holding in your hand, thank you very much) between a valve stem and the rocker arm?
    Thats how I did it. Frankly, my eyes are starting to go bad and there is no way I could figure that out with my own eyes. It only takes a second to see if a feeler gauge will slide in there or not. I think I showed that in the video.

Sorry if my terminology wasn't correct. I catch myself all the time saying the wrong words. I'm a product of the Louisiana public school system. I know how to drive but I don't know how to read or write.
    Rest assured, we have a backup of Farrar's car blog and it will be restored in the near future. (Steve Rice - March 2016)
    Rest assured, we have a backup of Shep's posts and all of them will be restored in the near future. (Steve Rice - March 2017)

Banned From "Tight Ship"
    VIN
    Bill Robertson
    #5939[/QUOTE]Longer than to look, and no more accurate....might as well degree the pulley and do it right, if you were going to get that anal about it, no?

Banned From "Tight Ship"
    VIN
    Quote Originally Posted by stevedmc View Post
    Thats how I did it. Frankly, my eyes are starting to go bad and there is no way I could figure that out with my own eyes. It only takes a second to see if a feeler gauge will slide in there or not. I think I showed that in the video.

Sorry if my terminology wasn't correct. I catch myself all the time saying the wrong words. I'm a product of the Louisiana public school system. I know how to drive but I don't know how to read or write.
    Last post-
    It's all good. All on the rock means is the exhaust valve is about to open and the intake is about to close (or there abouts' depending on the grind -- not always both closed as some think. Sometimes both are open. AKA overlap)...one valve will move no matter which way you turn the crank...they are on the rock.

Administrator
    VIN
    Under which condition should I be adjusting valves: using the TDC timing mark on my crank (ya that's right...my crank!) Or, eyeballing the on the rock position?

Thanks!

P3210224.jpg P3210226.jpg P3210227.jpg P3210228.jpg

***Edit:

After turning the crank a few times I have this @cylinder 5:

P3210225.jpg

The valves I should be able to adjust seem to be in the right position now too. I'm also have an installer bit to put in cylinder 1.
    Last edited by Rich_NYS; 03-21-2015 at 03:17 PM.

If you can turn the engine easy with your wrench;

Just turn it until the intake valve has just closed, then turn another 1/4 turn. That puts that cylinder in the middle of the compression stroke so both valves are fully closed.

You have to do each cylinder that way so it's a lot more rotating the crank but you never need any books to check which cylinders to do.
    Dave M vin 03572
    http://dm-eng.weebly.com/

Administrator
    VIN
    Quote Originally Posted by Bitsyncmaster View Post
    If you can turn the engine easy with your wrench;

Just turn it until the intake valve has just closed, then turn another 1/4 turn. That puts that cylinder in the middle of the compression stroke so both valves are fully closed.

You have to do each cylinder that way so it's a lot more rotating the crank but you never need any books to check which cylinders to do.
    Good tip...thanks!

(So far, so good.)

I've used the book procedure successfully, But I think the next time I do it. I'll simply follow the TDC firing order starting at Cyl 1 ea cylinder at a time rather than jumping around too this valve or that valve.

So, I have to rotate the engine 2 times, not a big deal.
    DENNIS

VIN
    Quick question....

I know this is an old post, but ill try anyway.....

I am prepping for a valve adjustment. I have watched Steve's video but had a question.

I am looking to purchase the correct feeler gauges and looked up in the workshop manual to see what the inlet and exhaust valve clearances were. Looks like the inlet is .10mm - .15mm. and the exhaust is .25mm - .30mm. So, which size feeler gauge should I be using when doing the valve adjustment?

Also, when the valve adjustment is done do I just replace the valve cover gasket and torque it down or do I need to add any permatex "the right stuff" to both sides of the new gasket first?
    You can't buy happiness, but you can buy a DeLorean and that's sort of the same thing....