Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Results 11 to 20 of 35

Thread: Valve Adjustment and Being 'On The Rock'

  1. #11
    Banned From "Tight Ship"
    Join Date
    Sep 2013
    VIN
    1669
    Posts
    965
    My thinking was you can't slide a feeler in there when the valve is open -- The rocker has taken up all of the slack and then some...

  2. #12
    You don't adjust "on the rock" cylinders -- you use them to ensure that valves being adjusted are fully closed and rocker arm is totally relaxed.

    Bill Robertson
    #5939

  3. #13
    Banned From "Tight Ship"
    Join Date
    Sep 2013
    VIN
    1669
    Posts
    965
    Exactly, you adjust the "mate" cylinder's valve. No reason to even try to slide a feeler in there...

  4. #14
    Steve's just using a feeler gauge (that he's already holding in his hand, thank you very much) to ensure no clearance for on the rock valves -- no harm, no foul.

    Bill Robertson
    #5939
    Last edited by Greasy DeLorean Mechanic; 10-01-2013 at 09:11 AM.

  5. #15
    Uncensored Hypocrite stevedmc's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Location
    Baton Rouge, LA
    VIN
    16510
    Posts
    5,481
    I'm certainly not a guru but I thought it meant the valve was closed (on the rock) if my feeler gauge won't slide in there. I'm not sure what all this debate is about. Was I wrong or something? I couldn't get any advice on the other forum other than to leave this to the experts and to read the book. I figured it out on my own (so I though) and made a video to help others. If I'm doing something wrong please let me know.

    All I know for a fact is that my engine, and Drews, were making tapping noises. We tightened our valves and the noises went away.
    Rest assured, we have a backup of Farrar's car blog and it will be restored in the near future. (Steve Rice - March 2016)
    Rest assured, we have a backup of Shep's posts and all of them will be restored in the near future. (Steve Rice - March 2017)

  6. #16
    Uncensored Hypocrite stevedmc's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Location
    Baton Rouge, LA
    VIN
    16510
    Posts
    5,481
    Quote Originally Posted by content22207 View Post
    You don't adjust "on the rock" cylinders -- you use them to ensure that valves being adjusted are fully closed and rocker arm is totally relaxed.

    Bill Robertson
    #5939
    What Bill said. The purpose of ensuring certain valves are on the rock is to ensure your vavles are in the proper position for adjusting the open ones.
    Rest assured, we have a backup of Farrar's car blog and it will be restored in the near future. (Steve Rice - March 2016)
    Rest assured, we have a backup of Shep's posts and all of them will be restored in the near future. (Steve Rice - March 2017)

  7. #17
    Valve is at least loaded, and perhaps open to some degree, when you can't put a feeler gauge between the stem and rocker arm.

    Your procedure is correct -- terminology is wrong.

    I thought that is what Ron was complaining about -- not the few extra seconds it takes to verify with a feeler gauge.

    Bill Robertson
    #5939

  8. #18
    Looks like I'm never adjusting my valves.

  9. #19
    Banned From "Tight Ship"
    Join Date
    Sep 2013
    VIN
    1669
    Posts
    965
    Quote Originally Posted by stevedmc View Post
    I'm certainly not a guru but I thought it meant the valve was closed (on the rock) if my feeler gauge won't slide in there. I'm not sure what all this debate is about. Was I wrong or something? I couldn't get any advice on the other forum other than to leave this to the experts and to read the book. I figured it out on my own (so I though) and made a video to help others. If I'm doing something wrong please let me know.

    All I know for a fact is that my engine, and Drews, were making tapping noises. We tightened our valves and the noises went away.
    Someone PMed me about your post and was confused about using the feeler gauge when the valve was closed...I see what you meant and it is correct for the on the rock cylinder, but it didn't read that way to him...he thought you meant to adjust the valve.... Nothing wrong with the vid, just easy to misinterpret that part of the post, I guess.

    Quote Originally Posted by stevedmc View Post
    What Bill said. The purpose of ensuring certain valves are on the rock is to ensure your vavles are in the proper position for adjusting the open ones.
    How hard is it to see if the lobes are pointing up or down?? LOL

  10. #20
    How hard is it to try to poke a feeler gauge (that you're already holding in your hand, thank you very much) between a valve stem and the rocker arm?

    Does add at least a second or two to the procedure....

    Bill Robertson
    #5939

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •