Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: Valve Adjustment and Being 'On The Rock'

VIN
    Quote Originally Posted by Trstno1 View Post
    Quick question....

I know this is an old post, but ill try anyway.....

I am prepping for a valve adjustment. I have watched Steve's video but had a question.

I am looking to purchase the correct feeler gauges and looked up in the workshop manual to see what the inlet and exhaust valve clearances were. Looks like the inlet is .10mm - .15mm. and the exhaust is .25mm - .30mm. So, which size feeler gauge should I be using when doing the valve adjustment?

Also, when the valve adjustment is done do I just replace the valve cover gasket and torque it down or do I need to add any permatex "the right stuff" to both sides of the new gasket first?

Forgive me since its been a long time since I've done a valve adjustment myself. If memory servs, you are going to use a different gauge for intake and exhaust. Most tool places sell a tool that has a ton of different thickeness on it that swing out like switch blades. Buy that and use whatever gauge is closest to the range for intake/exhaust.

Also, you need to do this adjustment with the engine cold. I would suggest having a new set of gaskets on hand, but if you originals don't break when you remove the covers, you can reuse them. Just clean everything up nice and put some permatex or whatever your choosing is on the gaskets before you put them back on. I'm currently using a set of gaskets from Hervey with red RTV. Its been a couple of months and so far it is leak free.
    Rest assured, we have a backup of Farrar's car blog and it will be restored in the near future. (Steve Rice - March 2016)
    Rest assured, we have a backup of Shep's posts and all of them will be restored in the near future. (Steve Rice - March 2017)

Administrator
    VIN
    Crazy coincidence: I browsed Steve's YouTube videos this AM, including the valve adjustment.

I understand a valve adjustment if you are missing or some obvious symptom, but do one just to it? Poppycock and balderdash my good man.
    Bungee Cup Holder Guru

VIN
    If you have the valve cover off I'd do it on principle, but I agree there's no reason outside of the maintenance schedule.

I recently R&Red my pass side VC and adjusted them at 16k miles. A few were off a tiny bit tad but not much.
    -Luke / 10270 / Turbo / EFI

VIN
    Quote Originally Posted by FABombjoy View Post
    If you have the valve cover off I'd do it on principle, but I agree there's no reason outside of the maintenance schedule.

I recently R&Red my pass side VC and adjusted them at 16k miles. A few were off a tiny bit tad but not much.
    While my engine was out I painted it and replaced the valve cover and timing chain cover gaskets. I can't believe I forgot to check my valves. Oh well.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk because I'm too lazy to turn off the mobile signature thingie on my phone.
    Rest assured, we have a backup of Farrar's car blog and it will be restored in the near future. (Steve Rice - March 2016)
    Rest assured, we have a backup of Shep's posts and all of them will be restored in the near future. (Steve Rice - March 2017)