Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: VIN 4519: Rich's 14-year "garage find"

Administrator
    VIN
    Did some one-handed work today, assessing the tank, and removing the pump & sender so I could seal the openings. My garage isn't so stinky now.

1130191321b.jpg
    1130191343.jpg
    1130191413.jpg
    1130191401.jpg
    1130191346.jpg
    1130191354b.jpg

It's nice & relaxing to work on a non-runner while also having a running/driving car.
    Bro....do you own a DeLorean?

VIN
    Blog Entries
    Keep your arm immobile until the restoration is done, then you can say you bought and restored a DeLorean with one hand tied behind your back.
    Starvation, overpopulation, pollution, global warming, communisim,...all DMCTalk.com's fault

Administrator
    VIN
    I think the only cosmetics I'll need to address are the headliners, steering column canopy nut, binnacle lens bezel, and shifter boot. There's also a very small "tear" in the console...I should be able to fix it with a drop of glue.

1205191707a.jpg

1205192149a.jpg

I'm still working with one arm; my daughter helped install a new a battery, and removed all the fuses. I'm going to clean & "lube" each fuse, and check each circuit as I reinstall them. The fuse box is in great shape, so I'm feeling pretty good about everything being good electrically

1204191856a.jpg

1205191652a.jpg

I also began removing the headliners. I was able to remove the door headliners, but I'll need help with the rest. I remember being down that rabbit hole; while I'm in there I'll get into the roofbox & related items, and will be tempted to replace the visor mounts as well.

1204191423a.jpg

Here's a view under my concours dash on the passenger side for Steve:

1204192328a.jpg

1204191853.jpg

VIN
    Thatís beautiful.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    On September 22, 2019 I will be participating in Bike MS to raise funds and awareness for people affected by Multiple Sclerosis.

Please consider making a donation, any size helps, by clicking the link below. Anything you give goes towards helping people with MS. I do not receive one penny of your donation. Thanks.

https://secure.nationalmssociety.org...al&fr_id=30202

VIN
    Blog Entries
    Looks like a solid car that will just take a little work to be a top tier Delorean!

No cave paintings?
    Starvation, overpopulation, pollution, global warming, communisim,...all DMCTalk.com's fault

Administrator
    VIN
    Quote Originally Posted by Dead Lesbian Goat View Post
    Looks like a solid car that will just take a little work to be a top tier Delorean!

No cave paintings?
    Thanks!

Nothing too interesting for cave paintings, it does appear they accidentally wrote VIN 2519, and tried to change it to 4519 by writing over it (diagonally).....I guess they have erasers at the factory.

Do you know what the "R.T." numbers are for?

1204191417a.jpg 1206191131a.jpg

Administrator
    VIN
    DMCH verified my key code[s,] so I was able to confirm the door writing is accurate.

I wanted to confirm because the PO had replaced the ignition switch assembly, I wanted to make sure the proper code is written on the door for future generations. The PO thought he recalled swapping the cylinders; I verified the ignition key worked in all locks, so we figured his memory to be correct. I think the switch portion was bad but he bought the whole assembly and swapped the cylinders versus changing all the locks.

I have the previous assembly with matching key; I'm pretty sure the switch portion is bad, but the [NLA] assembly is good, and the ignition cylinder & key are new.

1206191759a.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by Rich_NYS View Post
    Thanks!

Nothing too interesting for cave paintings, it does appear they accidentally wrote VIN 2519, and tried to change it to 4519 by writing over it (diagonally).....I guess they have erasers at the factory.

Do you know what the "R.T." numbers are for?

1204191417a.jpg 1206191131a.jpg
    That's funny

Administrator
    VIN
    Today I removed the steering canopy, preparing to replace the missing knurled inserts. While in there, I looked at the ignition lock assembly. I'm thinking the PO might not have replaced any part of it afterall. He might've bought the spare assembly preparing to replace it, but he (or his mechanic) got stuck trying to figure out how to remove the cylinder, reassembled the canopy, and tried a bunch of spray (which ultimately worked.) The ignition lock has a lot of lock-eze type spray, and it works fine. The canopy had been removed at some point, and the black trim cap is missing.

1207191724c.jpg

Administrator
    VIN
    Tonite I tested everything electrical that I was able to test (in its non-running state.) When I first viewed the car there was no battery in it, so I ran 25' jumper cables from my vehicle outside the garage to the battery compartment. I tested most things at that time, but forgot a bunch of stuff as well.

Testing each fused circuit, I found some things not working properly:

-The rear defogger switch feels broken
    -Driver's side window appears to be off track (both motors run, switches are a bit flaky)
    -Door plunger switches are a little flaky (I had the same issue on 10372 & 4728, cleaning the contacts fixed it)
    -The antenna doesn't go up, but I hear the motor run when I turn on the radio
    -No reverse lights
    -One brake light bulb out
    -Console clock doesn't work (cigar lighter works)

The horns work, but they're OEM.....I had forgotten how ridiculous they sound.
    The radio works and so do [at least] one front & one rear speaker, but I really couldn't tell (sitting in the passenger seat) if all 4 work or not. I didn't take any time to figure out how the "balance" function works (or if there is one) on the Craig radio.