Thread: Shock question

VIN
    Blog Entries

Shock question

While on a more aggressive drive today over some rough roads, I took notice of how my car was planted. I think the front shocks are toast, rear seems OK though. Today I got home and started looking around. I don't think the DMC Performance shocks should wear out after 10k and now 25k miles. (rears were toast at 10k) so I'm not looking to replace with them even though they are "approved replacement so you know it will fit". I read a lot about the Spax setup and the price is right

https://www.deloreango.com/us/spax-s...-set-of-4.html

I am assuming these will have no issues with the Eibach springs I have installed now. Probably best to ask DeLoreango, but I know Aaron visits here often. I am leaning on replacing all 4 corners rather than just the front even though I think the rears are OK. Do I need the extra hardware or will my current hardware work(bolts/washers, etc.) work? I also have the spanners from my other set, pretty sure they will work, but not 100% sure. Also, are there any suspension bushings I should be replacing at the same time due to overlapping labor? I will probably do this later in the year but before fall. I have a list of things I want to do to my car before Spring really gets here but damn, business is just not letting up and it's not even the bust season yet.
    Starvation, overpopulation, pollution, global warming, communisim,...all DMCTalk.com's fault

VIN
    I've been running Spax shocks for almost 10 years. They are a bit pricey but I've been happy with them.

There are so many options out there for shocks these days. I'm not sure if I would get them again or try a cheaper alternative when the time comes to buy shocks again.
    Rest assured, we have a backup of Farrar's car blog and it will be restored in the near future. (Steve Rice - March 2016)
    Rest assured, we have a backup of Shep's posts and all of them will be restored in the near future. (Steve Rice - March 2017)

VIN
    Yes, the springs you have will be fine - You don't need to replace any of the hardware (except the nuts), many don't, it's just a "why not" for the price. That said, you should really replace the 4 SP10059 Nylok nuts you undo at the very least. Yes the C-spanners you already have will work for adjusting the rear height when they are on the car. I have mine sat on the lowest height setting anyway on the rears, spanner wasn't needed.
    Regarding the bushings, well replacing the shocks is a relatively simple job, doing any of the bushings it not so much really - you need to take the arms/link off and use a press. Although the sway bar bushings are easy to do at the same time - something like Toby's kit is a good one, or my preference is rubber at the ends (4 x 108912 - https://www.deloreango.com/us/anti-r...sh-rubber.html ) and a pair of poly bushings in the middle - https://www.deloreango.com/us/anti-r...-bush-kit.html

VIN
    Blog Entries
    Thank for the advice Aaron. I assume the same goes for this set? I have decided to just order from you guys since you ordered so much from me. Probably will do it before summer since I want to enjoy my car more this year.
    https://www.deloreango.com/us/perfor...an-europe.html
    Starvation, overpopulation, pollution, global warming, communisim,...all DMCTalk.com's fault

VIN
    Yes, same with those - they are very similar (and also made in the UK), although most of us over here prefer the Spax (if you can get over the yellow color!).

VIN
    <2000
    I can recommend Arran and DeLoreanGo as a quality vendor. They have excellent customer service.

I'd probably lean towards the AVO set, but that's just my preference.

Cheers,
    Dana

1981 DeLorean DMC-12 (5 Speed, Gas Flap, Black Interior, Windshield Antenna, Dark Gray)
    2006 Dodge Magnum R/T (D/D)
    2010 Camaro SS (Transformers Edition)

VIN
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by DMC-81 View Post
    I can recommend Arran and DeLoreanGo as a quality vendor. They have excellent customer service.

I'd probably lean towards the AVO set, but that's just my preference.

Cheers,
    They definately have their ducks in a row on that end of the pond. I have ordered from them before and was pleasantly surprised at the shipping speed and the sheer volume of parts offered.

VIN
    I've had SPAX shocks on my car since I rebuilt my suspension in 2013 (holy crap it's been 6 years already!) I have been happy so far...

The ones I bought were the black ones DMCH was selling as their performance shocks before they switched to whatever they are selling now. I think they are the same as the yellow ones. If you don't like yellow one can always paint black.

For the complete process of making things BLACK, see here:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rSPqzgxrBFs

VIN
    Quote Originally Posted by Mark D View Post
    The ones I bought were the black ones DMCH was selling as their performance shocks before they switched to whatever they are selling now. I think they are the same as the yellow ones.
    Yes that's correct, although since then I have had Spax make a number of improvements to the fronts, namely to make the bottom bolt hole the correct 1/2" size rather than the nearest metric equivalent it used to be, and most importantly to beef up the upper washer/bushing assembly, which is really heavy duty now.

VIN
    Quote Originally Posted by arranj View Post
    most importantly to beef up the upper washer/bushing assembly, which is really heavy duty now.
    Ah yes. The upper bushings and washers I got with mine were crap. Very thin material that some others had reported to fail leading to the hole in the frame enlarging itself due to wear.

I still have them installed actually and need to swap them over to poly bushings I got with nice thick snubbing washers. Add that to the to do list...