Thread: No start issue

VIN

No start issue

My car is having starting issues. I am not getting voltage at the red/white wire connected to the starter solenoid. When I turn the key to on, I can hear the fuel pump running and some clicking from the relay compartment. I turn the key to start and nothing. I am not sure if the issue is in the ignition switch or the relay box.

How do I bypass the ignition switch to see if that is the problem? Any suggestions to correct this is greatly appreciated.

Thanks Steve

That is a typical low voltage problem. But to test I would connect a 12 volt power to the white/red wire going to the starter. That connection will probably draw 5 to 10 amps and you want to pull that jumper as soon as the engine starts.
    Dave M vin 03572
    http://dm-eng.weebly.com/

VIN
    Blog Entries
    Ignition/starter update? Neutral safety?
    Starvation, overpopulation, pollution, global warming, communisim,...all DMCTalk.com's fault

VIN
    Stupid question here, but have you checked your fuses?
    On September 22, 2019 I will be participating in Bike MS to raise funds and awareness for people affected by Multiple Sclerosis.

Please consider making a donation, any size helps, by clicking the link below. Anything you give goes towards helping people with MS. I do not receive one penny of your donation. Thanks.

https://secure.nationalmssociety.org...al&fr_id=30202

VIN
    Quote Originally Posted by stevedmc View Post
    Stupid question here, but have you checked your fuses?
    Thanks for the reply. I am not an expert when it comes to wiring diagrams, but I did not see a fuse on the diagram for the ignition/starter circuit.

VIN
    Yes update is done. I forgot to mention the car has a manual transmission.

VIN
    Quote Originally Posted by Bitsyncmaster View Post
    That is a typical low voltage problem. But to test I would connect a 12 volt power to the white/red wire going to the starter. That connection will probably draw 5 to 10 amps and you want to pull that jumper as soon as the engine starts.
    Hmmm, sounds dangerous. I already know there is no voltage at the red/white wire connection on the solenoid upon starting.

VIN
    It turned out to be a bad Start Inhibit relay. I swapped it with the relay next to it and the car fired right up.

Thanks for the help.
    Steve