Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Post your government worker hard luck stories here.

Quote Originally Posted by stevedmc View Post
    Each year when my company announced a mandatory one week furlough I always asked the same thing, "Whats the maximum I can take and still have a job to come back to?"

I ended up taking two weeks furlough a year for about three years. Combining that with my existing time off allowed me to see a lot of the planet when I was with that company.
    Even though I still had to come in, there was a bright side. They let us wear jeans, the building was nice and quiet, the commute was easy. It was a very relaxed atmosphere. Today as far as DC traffic.... oh yeah, we are back to normal.
    Bungee Cup Holder Guru

But I feel what Steve was saying about using furlough as an opportunity. One year when I was with a different fed outfit in 2005, I asked to be furloughed over a summer. They said absolutely not.
    Bungee Cup Holder Guru

VIN
    Blog Entries
    Somehow the news is supposed to make me feel sorry for government employees because they had to live with the threat of unemployment.

Yeah welcome to the real world guys. You should try out the private sector. It's a different world here...they expect results. Try buying your own insurance in this market. I pay more for insurance than I do for my f#$%ing house. I know when millions of people were losing their jobs back in the sub prime disaster there was no news crews following us around worried about our next meal....and when we did muster up a job there was no backpay waiting for us. Must be nice to be the media darlings.
    Starvation, overpopulation, pollution, global warming, communisim,...all DMCTalk.com's fault

VIN
    Blog Entries
    I saw an interview of a lady who complained that she wouldn't be able to afford food because of the shut down. She was a non-essential employee who got to stay home. For the duration of the interview, she was at her house pan frying a nice little steak with fresh vegetables. She was a heavy set lady who kept going on and on about how important food is.

I've taken months of furlough in my career without any back pay. I survived every time and never made a fuss out of it. I actually enjoyed the time off and used it to travel.
    Due to the nature of my job; lost the last one I had due to the individual I was working for dying two days after Christmas, I had a bit of a rough stretch, myself. I'm back to being gainfully employed once more; but, to recoup, I will have to let a few things go.

Anyone looking to buy a Rolls Royce? I can't complain about needing money for food from the back seat of it.
    -Chad K.
    Previous owner of VINS: 6982, 1601, 1265, and 1269

"Count of Islandia; Colonel of the Defense Forces and Chancellor of Transportation."

VIN
    Quote Originally Posted by Dead Lesbian Goat View Post
    Somehow the news is supposed to make me feel sorry for government employees because they had to live with the threat of unemployment.

Yeah welcome to the real world guys. You should try out the private sector. It's a different world here...they expect results. Try buying your own insurance in this market. I pay more for insurance than I do for my f#$%ing house. I know when millions of people were losing their jobs back in the sub prime disaster there was no news crews following us around worried about our next meal....and when we did muster up a job there was no backpay waiting for us. Must be nice to be the media darlings.
    The media didn’t report these furlough stories the same way back when President Obama was in office.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Rest assured, we have a backup of Farrar's car blog and it will be restored in the near future. (Steve Rice - March 2016)
    Rest assured, we have a backup of Shep's posts and all of them will be restored in the near future. (Steve Rice - March 2017)

The media didn’t report these furlough stories the same way back when President Obama was in office.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    No. They also didn't indignantly offer bills to make sure government shutdowns aren't used for leverage.

The media, at least around here, was very hard at work trying to find the worst possible heart wrenching examples they could.
    Bungee Cup Holder Guru

VIN
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Duplicate Account View Post

The media, at least around here, was very hard at work trying to find the worst possible heart wrenching examples they could.
    They missed a grand opportunity to elicit some major waterworks when they failed to interview me on the cruise ship sans my Gouda cheese.

Have any of you ever spent a week at sea getting massages and drinking Shiraz and being forced to not pair it with fine cheese? It changes you man.
    Starvation, overpopulation, pollution, global warming, communisim,...all DMCTalk.com's fault

Quote Originally Posted by Dead Lesbian Goat View Post
    They missed a grand opportunity to elicit some major waterworks when they failed to interview me on the cruise ship sans my Gouda cheese.

Have any of you ever spent a week at sea getting massages and drinking Shiraz and being forced to not pair it with fine cheese? It changes you man.
    And the burgundy wine was probably not even from the Burgundy region of France. You poor man.