Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: KJet to Carburetor upgrade

Administrator
    VIN
    I would also note that I was able to sell both of my K-Jet systems at a profit over what I spent on my Peugeot systems. Even the core K-Jet parts have significant resale value. I've never had a single carb related break down in 4 years of driving a carbed DeLorean. In fact I liked the carb system so much on 5052 that I deturboed and carbed 4194 despite the fact that the K-Jet system was fully functional.

My folks still live in St Charles, thus we could do a carbed tech day in the spring / summer. Maybe the weekend of the DMC MW open house?

Did you check out the JL Engineering setup?

Quote Originally Posted by powerline84 View Post
    When I first got my car I was one of the people that scoffed at carb conversions. I thought man these guys are just being lazy, they are ruining there cars etc. Just like some think that bttf conversions ruin the car . Sometimes you gotta take a step back and realize that these cars aren't "ours" they are their's, mine etc. Each owner has their opinion of what living the dream is. I also though that by completely rebuilding my kjet system I would never have any problems. Then I met Rich and though man he has a nice car , he popped the hood and it was Carbed ?!?!??! What Saceilige. Why would he do this lol. Much to my suprise I learned this wasnt Riches first D and he loved the carb so it started to open my eyes . In th last two years I have had 3 break downs . Every one of them kjet fuel related. Every one of them the car just died on the highway . 2 of the 3 resulted in fuel everywhere and coulda burned my car down . Most recently my frequency valve literally split and sprayed gas directly onto my exhaust manifold. How the car didnt burn down I dont know. Even more nuts is that this hasn't happened to any of my delorean friends and everyone is telling me oh those never fail . Then I met Steve twice. Once at the delorean midwest open house. Then at this years DCS. I thought this guy is the anti delorean and I love it . Hes at a car show and he has his interior disassembled all over the floor. Hes changing an alternator in the parking lot with dishwashing gloves etc. Lol . My wife just loved this behavior, said these guys are cool. Then I realized that I hang out with the carb guys and I think only luke and I have injection still and even luke has ditched kjet fir a badass custom megasquirt setup . I also noticed most of the people at the show with kjet that had fire loops in their car have had close calls like me . So after a few years of ownership my opinions have changed . I am now open to swaps, conversions, carbs etc. There are a lot of options out there for fuel delivery but one thing I can say for sure is kjet can be reliable and is actually pretty amazing for 1981 but it comes with a high level of mx responsibility. Ignorance is not bliss with a Delorean. It also comes with a little risk . You have to expect that tow truck rides are a possibility and autozone isnt gonna have what you need so build your own emergency kit. My major failures have been accumulator lines and frequency valve. In the future as kjet becomes difficult to maintain or if I have another close call or if my motor takes a crap I am not sure at this point if I would put kjet or a prv back in. I am rather interested In the focus rs and mustang 4 cylinder EcoBoost when the time comes .
    Thanks Jimmy for the insight. I just want 5878 to be a reliable car and if that means putting in Carb then thatís what I will do.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Andrew View Post
    I would also note that I was able to sell both of my K-Jet systems at a profit over what I spent on my Peugeot systems. Even the core K-Jet parts have significant resale value. I've never had a single carb related break down in 4 years of driving a carbed DeLorean. In fact I liked the carb system so much on 5052 that I deturboed and carbed 4194 despite the fact that the K-Jet system was fully functional.

My folks still live in St Charles, thus we could do a carbed tech day in the spring / summer. Maybe the weekend of the DMC MW open house?

Did you check out the JL Engineering setup?
    Hey Andrew,

Thanks for the offer. I havenít looked into it yet but I will when we get closer to March when the weather gets better I will. Let me talk to my Mechanic friend that helps me with my car and see if he wants to do a tech session

VIN
    I was a purist when I first got my car. Two weeks into ownership I had to remove K-Jet to do a water pump replacement. What a nightmare. A few months later I met Farrar and was amazed to see how simple his car was since ditched K-Jet for a carburetor. I was no longer a purist after that and a few months later, I did the same conversion.

I like my car to look stock on the outside but as far as the mechanics go, I want it to be as simple and reliable as possible.
    Rest assured, we have a backup of Farrar's car blog and it will be restored in the near future. (Steve Rice - March 2016)
    Rest assured, we have a backup of Shep's posts and all of them will be restored in the near future. (Steve Rice - March 2017)

Iím with you Steve. I want to be able to drive my car and not worry about it dying. I would like to keep it as stock as possible but Iím learning that might not be in the cards

VIN
    Blog Entries
    I've had 6; will never go back to K-Jet.

rsz_20171018_195155.jpg
    -Chad K.
    Previous owner of VINS: 6982, 1601, 1265, and 1269

"Count of Islandia; Colonel of the Defense Forces and Chancellor of Transportation."

VIN
    Its $1000 to convert to carb these days? You can go EFI for around that cost too.

It's far more complicated and this is by no means an offer to help But there may be a more updated guide for EFI this spring after we convert Patrick's car.
    -Luke / 10270 / Turbo / EFI

VIN
    Quote Originally Posted by FABombjoy View Post
    Its $1000 to convert to carb these days? You can go EFI for around that cost too.

It's far more complicated and this is by no means an offer to help But there may be a more updated guide for EFI this spring after we convert Patrick's car.
    It takes brains to run efi. Iím glad Iím not smart.

Rest assured, we have a backup of Farrar's car blog and it will be restored in the near future. (Steve Rice - March 2016)
    Rest assured, we have a backup of Shep's posts and all of them will be restored in the near future. (Steve Rice - March 2017)

VIN
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Dracula View Post
    I've had 6; will never go back to K-Jet.

rsz_20171018_195155.jpg
    6? That's kind of like bragging about the number of ex wives you have.

I'm still on my first Kjet (10 years) and first wife (14 years)
    Starvation, overpopulation, pollution, global warming, communisim,...all DMCTalk.com's fault

VIN
    Quote Originally Posted by Dead Lesbian Goat View Post
    6? That's kind of like bragging about the number of ex wives you have.

I'm still on my first Kjet (10 years) and first wife (14 years)
    Chad never said he had a brain. He is a carburetor guy, remember?