Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: KJet to Carburetor upgrade

KJet to Carburetor upgrade

What would it cost to convert KJet to carburetor on 5878?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Administrator
    VIN
    There are a couple of options. I was able to find two complete Peugeot / Alpine Solex systems that I used to carb 4194 and 5052. I paid about $250 for each with shipping. However, the Solex setup provides some unique challenges in regards to parts and tuning. Parts like the accelerator pump for the 2bbl carb are made from the illusive substance known as unobtainum. You'll also need a fuel pump. I sourced my most recent mechanical pump from Latvia (yes, the former USSR satellite.) IIRC the pump was about $50 with shipping.

I don't know if Bill is still in the carb conversion business, but when he was, I think his kits were running about $1,000.00 ish. If they are still available, I would suspect that the price has gone up in the past few years.

Another option that would be awesome to try would be the kit from JL Engineering. I had looked into this kit before I was able to fix 4194's Solex setup. JL is an Alpine tuner from the UK. He has Alpine / Peugeot manifolds modified to accept a Holley 390. His kit includes the modified manifold, carb and linkage, thus, you would have to source your own pump, mod the fuel lines and plug the injector bungs. Do a Google search for Alpine Holley 390 and some pictures of the setup should come up. There is a core charge on the Solex manifold, but John may have some on hand. He has a webpage on FB.

Where are you located?

Andrew

VIN
    I bought a kit from Bill in the summer of 2017. I think the cost was around $1,400. It came with everything I needed to do a turnkey conversion. My kit uses a mechanical fuel pump and re-purposes the k-jet return fuel line as the inlet fuel line. The carb is a motorcraft 2100 series or thereabouts. If your car is an auto, you'll need an extra throttle linkage for the shift set points on the gearbox.

I've been very pleased with the results. All my k-jet gremlins and safety issues are gone.
    Jeff in Dallas

My Car http://dmctx.blogspot.com

VIN
    I think the cost will vary depending on parts availability and inflation (ie: comparing current costs to a conversion done ~10 years ago).
    Jeff in Dallas

My Car http://dmctx.blogspot.com

VIN
    Bill doesnít like me anymore but I give credit where credit is due. He puts together a really nice kit for doing a carb conversion. Itís worth every penny.

Rest assured, we have a backup of Farrar's car blog and it will be restored in the near future. (Steve Rice - March 2016)
    Rest assured, we have a backup of Shep's posts and all of them will be restored in the near future. (Steve Rice - March 2017)

VIN
    Blog Entries
    New manifolds are in development; sadly, a slow and expensive project with virtually no ROI.
    -Chad K.
    Previous owner of VINS: 6982, 1601, 1265, and 1269

"Count of Islandia; Colonel of the Defense Forces and Chancellor of Transportation."

Quote Originally Posted by Andrew View Post
    There are a couple of options. I was able to find two complete Peugeot / Alpine Solex systems that I used to carb 4194 and 5052. I paid about $250 for each with shipping. However, the Solex setup provides some unique challenges in regards to parts and tuning. Parts like the accelerator pump for the 2bbl carb are made from the illusive substance known as unobtainum. You'll also need a fuel pump. I sourced my most recent mechanical pump from Latvia (yes, the former USSR satellite.) IIRC the pump was about $50 with shipping.

I don't know if Bill is still in the carb conversion business, but when he was, I think his kits were running about $1,000.00 ish. If they are still available, I would suspect that the price has gone up in the past few years.

Another option that would be awesome to try would be the kit from JL Engineering. I had looked into this kit before I was able to fix 4194's Solex setup. JL is an Alpine tuner from the UK. He has Alpine / Peugeot manifolds modified to accept a Holley 390. His kit includes the modified manifold, carb and linkage, thus, you would have to source your own pump, mod the fuel lines and plug the injector bungs. Do a Google search for Alpine Holley 390 and some pictures of the setup should come up. There is a core charge on the Solex manifold, but John may have some on hand. He has a webpage on FB.

Where are you located?

Andrew
    Thanks for the info. Iím in Elgin, IL. We hung out at the show. My car was in the parking lot

VIN
    Blog Entries
    The title is wrong. It's not an upgrade, it's a hack mod that destroys the value of your car and makes you a laughing stock at meets.

After all, at the next DCS when everyone is swapping stories about their car not starting in front of a big crowd or limping home, complaining about tow bills while wondering if their car is burning to the ground in the parking lot as they socialize, how the hell do yo expect to relate???

You will be an outcast.
    Starvation, overpopulation, pollution, global warming, communisim,...all DMCTalk.com's fault

VIN
    Quote Originally Posted by Dead Lesbian Goat View Post
    The title is wrong. It's not an upgrade, it's a hack mod that destroys the value of your car and makes you a laughing stock at meets.

After all, at the next DCS when everyone is swapping stories about their car not starting in front of a big crowd or limping home, complaining about tow bills while wondering if their car is burning to the ground in the parking lot as they socialize, how the hell do yo expect to relate???

You will be an outcast.
    One of my rivals whispered a sweet nothing into my ear at the lasts DCS, "I've joined the carb crowd. I recently purchased an older Porsche and one of the first things I did was remove K-Jet and replace it with a carb."

We had a nice chuckle, I promised I wouldn't tell anyone and we agreed to pretend to be enemies again. Life is good.
    Rest assured, we have a backup of Farrar's car blog and it will be restored in the near future. (Steve Rice - March 2016)
    Rest assured, we have a backup of Shep's posts and all of them will be restored in the near future. (Steve Rice - March 2017)

When I first got my car I was one of the people that scoffed at carb conversions. I thought man these guys are just being lazy, they are ruining there cars etc. Just like some think that bttf conversions ruin the car . Sometimes you gotta take a step back and realize that these cars aren't "ours" they are their's, mine etc. Each owner has their opinion of what living the dream is. I also though that by completely rebuilding my kjet system I would never have any problems. Then I met Rich and though man he has a nice car , he popped the hood and it was Carbed ?!?!??! What Saceilige. Why would he do this lol. Much to my suprise I learned this wasnt Riches first D and he loved the carb so it started to open my eyes . In th last two years I have had 3 break downs . Every one of them kjet fuel related. Every one of them the car just died on the highway . 2 of the 3 resulted in fuel everywhere and coulda burned my car down . Most recently my frequency valve literally split and sprayed gas directly onto my exhaust manifold. How the car didnt burn down I dont know. Even more nuts is that this hasn't happened to any of my delorean friends and everyone is telling me oh those never fail . Then I met Steve twice. Once at the delorean midwest open house. Then at this years DCS. I thought this guy is the anti delorean and I love it . Hes at a car show and he has his interior disassembled all over the floor. Hes changing an alternator in the parking lot with dishwashing gloves etc. Lol . My wife just loved this behavior, said these guys are cool. Then I realized that I hang out with the carb guys and I think only luke and I have injection still and even luke has ditched kjet fir a badass custom megasquirt setup . I also noticed most of the people at the show with kjet that had fire loops in their car have had close calls like me . So after a few years of ownership my opinions have changed . I am now open to swaps, conversions, carbs etc. There are a lot of options out there for fuel delivery but one thing I can say for sure is kjet can be reliable and is actually pretty amazing for 1981 but it comes with a high level of mx responsibility. Ignorance is not bliss with a Delorean. It also comes with a little risk . You have to expect that tow truck rides are a possibility and autozone isnt gonna have what you need so build your own emergency kit. My major failures have been accumulator lines and frequency valve. In the future as kjet becomes difficult to maintain or if I have another close call or if my motor takes a crap I am not sure at this point if I would put kjet or a prv back in. I am rather interested In the focus rs and mustang 4 cylinder EcoBoost when the time comes .