Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Snowpocalypse!!!!

VIN
    Blog Entries
    A lot of people laugh at southerners when we get snow but there are a few things to consider. Most southern cities don't have the infrastructure to deal with it. A few years ago, Atlanta got shut down for almost a week over 4 inches. Nobody understood that Atlanta didnt have snowplows, salt trucks, or treated roads. I remember that because I flew out of Hartsfield the day before it happened and when we got back a week later, they were just getting back on their feet. In the same way, we are used to snow a few times a year, but usually 4 to 6 inches max so it may take us an extra day or so to get back to normal simply because there are not enough plows to hit our very hilly terrain...yeah we got a lot of steep hills around here. I'm off tomorrow and if the snow doesn't freeze, I'm probably going to make another full size formula one car.

My Nacho cheese flavored Combos are at 50%, beer at 35%, chips are good, wine and vodka reserves are good. We will make it. Failure does not exist in this dojo.
    Starvation, overpopulation, pollution, global warming, communisim,...all DMCTalk.com's fault

Administrator
    VIN
    Quote Originally Posted by Dead Lesbian Goat View Post
    ~snip~

My Nacho cheese flavored Combos are at 50%, beer at 35%, chips are good, wine and vodka reserves are good. We will make it. Failure does not exist in this dojo.
    LMAO....awesome!

If things get too bad, we'll come get you out, brah!

VIN
    Yall need to hurry up and finish with that snow business so I can bring my car to Rob Grady's shop.
    Rest assured, we have a backup of Farrar's car blog and it will be restored in the near future. (Steve Rice - March 2016)
    Rest assured, we have a backup of Shep's posts and all of them will be restored in the near future. (Steve Rice - March 2017)

VIN
    <2000
    Wow, that's a lot of snow for a southern state. Normally when there's a winter storm above us we get a cold front and my wife needs to cover some plants. But, today was the normal 70 ish temperature but it rained all morning (which is unusual).

Keep warm!
    Dana

1981 DeLorean DMC-12 (5 Speed, Gas Flap, Black Interior, Windshield Antenna, Dark Gray)
    2006 Dodge Magnum R/T (D/D)
    2010 Camaro SS (Transformers Edition)

Quote Originally Posted by Duplicate Account View Post
    If there's one thing I learned from the movie "Alive" it's that you eat butt meat from a cadaver first. Fatty!!!

In 9 months you get to hear insufferable local reporters about the sudden baby boom from the storm. So you might not want to live anyway.
    That was my only takeaway from that movie.

VIN
    Blog Entries
    Well the snacks are gone and just as I looked at my cat and saw her transform into a giant KFC chicken, the snowplow came through. I went out and shoveled the driveway so I can get to work tomorrow. We broke a record for the most amount of snow in 24 hours. I have to say though, the state and city were very quick getting things open with the exception of the interstate(tractor trailer wreck caused a massive 15 mile back up just as it started getting bad. People were stranded in their cars since Sunday morning and snowplows couldn't get through. The National Guard was called in). I'm just glad to be home for the day sipping on a energy drink and eyeing one of the Christmas gift baskets I got for my business accounts... E-Town Auto Sales didn't give me that much business, they don't really deserve a complete basket and surely wouldn't miss the smoked sausage and honey mustard anyway.

Maybe I will wrap up S1 of Cobra Kai today.
    Starvation, overpopulation, pollution, global warming, communisim,...all DMCTalk.com's fault

How the tables have turned.

Due to the government partial shutdown i will not be getting paid. The first few hours have been harrowing. I am making sure to keep the kitty fat and in good condition just in case I have to take him down to the local Chinese take out.
    Bungee Cup Holder Guru

VIN
    Quote Originally Posted by Duplicate Account View Post
    How the tables have turned.

Due to the government partial shutdown i will not be getting paid. The first few hours have been harrowing. I am making sure to keep the kitty fat and in good condition just in case I have to take him down to the local Chinese take out.
    Serious question/comment here. I always thought everyone got back-pay once government shut downs are over. Am I wrong? I thought it was mainly about shutting down non essential services such as national parks, museums, immigration services, etc...
    Rest assured, we have a backup of Farrar's car blog and it will be restored in the near future. (Steve Rice - March 2016)
    Rest assured, we have a backup of Shep's posts and all of them will be restored in the near future. (Steve Rice - March 2017)

VIN
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by stevedmc View Post
    Serious question/comment here. I always thought everyone got back-pay once government shut downs are over. Am I wrong? I thought it was mainly about shutting down non essential services such as national parks, museums, immigration services, etc...
    I think you are right but congress has to vote on it once the gov. reopens. In all probability, by the time this happens, a democratic led congress will be calling the shots and they will be a pissy bunch with a sour taste in their mouths. Sam may need to buy extra soy and duck sauce.

Quote Originally Posted by stevedmc View Post

Back pay has been made after each past shutdown. So virtually certain it will again. As I am one of those essential employees, I work anyway so that's fair. What's not really fair is everyone else gets a paid vacay. It bites everyone that you don't get the matching money on your 401k and because you get the back pay all at once you get a huge tax bomb.

I hope he holds out anyway.
    Bungee Cup Holder Guru