Thread: Chad has the stupid idea to build his own car (DMC-81 did not create this thread.)

VIN
    <2000

Chad has the stupid idea to build his own car (DMC-81 did not create this thread.)

Aesthetically, I like the last one. I really like the pre-war (20s and 30s) cars. Just last week a friend of a friend showed me his warehouse of cars. One of them he pulled the cover off was this 1922 Cadillac. Yes... the same one used the the I love Lucy episode.
    http://www.50slucy.com/1922-cadillac...-to-drive.html

But the one that blew me away was the red and maroon 1929 Packard. It can be seen on his website:
    https://colesclassiccars.com/
    Wow it was stunning in that color combination. Apparently it took best of show at this year's Lake Mirror Concours.

Sorry, I digress... I could talk cars all day. I used to put together models as well. I really enjoyed that as it was very relaxing for me. I'll have to carve out time to do that again.

Michael, I think I saw the Delorean model that you added lights to. That was amazing. How are the metal models to work with?
    Dana

1981 DeLorean DMC-12 (5 Speed, Gas Flap, Black Interior, Windshield Antenna, Dark Gray)
    2006 Dodge Magnum R/T (D/D)
    2010 Camaro SS (Transformers Edition)

VIN
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by DMC-81 View Post
    Aesthetically, I like the last one. I really like the pre-war (20s and 30s) cars. Just last week a friend of a friend showed me his warehouse of cars. One of them he pulled the cover off was this 1922 Cadillac. Yes... the same one used the the I love Lucy episode.
    http://www.50slucy.com/1922-cadillac...-to-drive.html

But the one that blew me away was the red and maroon 1929 Packard. It can be seen on his website:
    https://colesclassiccars.com/
    Wow it was stunning in that color combination. Apparently it took best of show at this year's Lake Mirror Concours.

Sorry, I digress... I could talk cars all day. I used to put together models as well. I really enjoyed that as it was very relaxing for me. I'll have to carve out time to do that again.

Michael, I think I saw the Delorean model that you added lights to. That was amazing. How are the metal models to work with?
    I love the cars from that era; I'm slowly building my own car. I've got the body from a 1917 Dodge touring car, the grille from a Rolls Royce, and the headlights from a 1926 Cadillac. It's being built on a 1950 Packard chassis with flathead I8 and Ultramatic transmission.
    -Chad K.
    Previous owner of VINS: 6982, 1601, 1265, and 1269

"Count of Islandia; Colonel of the Defense Forces and Chancellor of Transportation."

VIN
    Blog Entries
    This is the front end:

20180821_180003.jpg

This is the body:

00q0q_dMlH2aBGXpu_1200x900.jpg

This is the (identical, but not actual) chassis:

1948Packard_02_600.jpg
    -Chad K.

"Count of Islandia; Colonel of the Defense Forces and Chancellor of Transportation."

VIN
    <2000
    Quote Originally Posted by Dracula View Post
    I love the cars from that era; I'm slowly building my own car. I've got the body from a 1917 Dodge touring car, the grille from a Rolls Royce, and the headlights from a 1926 Cadillac. It's being built on a 1950 Packard chassis with flathead I8 and Ultramatic transmission.
    Oh wow, that will be something to see when finished. It's such an art form to build/ restore a car from little more than a shell. (And it takes a lady with trust and patience to be there beside you as you create it.)

Best of luck with the build and congrats on your wedding.
    Dana

1981 DeLorean DMC-12 (5 Speed, Gas Flap, Black Interior, Windshield Antenna, Dark Gray)

VIN
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by DMC-81 View Post
    Oh wow, that will be something to see when finished. It's such an art form to build/ restore a car from little more than a shell. (And it takes a lady with trust and patience to be there beside you as you create it.)

Best of luck with the build and congrats on your wedding.
    Thank you. I'm glad to have her support as well.

I know this project is going to be a tremendous amount of work; but, I believe it will be worth it. I love woodworking, so I'll be recreating the wood floors and body supports myself. Surprisingly, the 1917 Dodge body uses wood only in the floor; alas, there is less steel left than I would like so it's with professionals being used as a training example for reattaching metal to compromised metal.

I'm calling in every favor I can for this car and I've been acquiring pieces for it slowly for the last decade.

I got the idea, in part, out of frustration from trying to find what I wanted in a car and, in large part, from the Bentley and Rolls Mercia Conversions of the '50s.

The same chassis that is used in this car:

23961b4273d90ba54c804d8a2162ff36410f7d11.jpg

Was used to build this one:

42_276_03.jpg

And this one:

96107_Front_3-4_Web.jpg

https://www.barrett-jackson.com/Even...NVERSION-96107

The key difference being that I have no intent of shortening the chassis because I want a long, low, and wide 4-door touring car. In fact, I will have to lengthen it.
    The biggest hurdles being that the Packard frame has a more pronounced "hump" for the rear wheels than the original Dodge body did and that a custom cowl will have to be fabricated. The task of widening the Dodge body 6" so it sits on the Packard frame is actually easier to correct for; as is the task of fabricating a custom hood. I chose the angular Rolls Royce grille because it will only necessitate the cutting of flat sheet aluminum or steel for the remarkably long hood it will take to cover the Packard flathead I8.

The wheelbase of the base Packard is 120" and the Dodge is 114" Unfortunately, this means that it will fall a bit short of the 142.5" wheelbase of the Duesenberg J chassis and the 144" of the "Short Chassis" Rolls Royce Phantom II (150" standard chassis) cars that I'm basing it off of. However; by lengthening the Packard chassis so that the front of the engine is behind the wheels, I will solve that problem and be able to preserve the aesthetic I seek. At least, in theory. Ideally, the engine placement can be left alone.
    -Chad K.

VIN
    Blog Entries
    It's also worth noting that the body on a Duesenberg stops before the rear wheels while the Dodge body I'm using stops after the rear wheels. This would have been for a more comfortable ride for those in the back; placing them above the rear axle versus inwards of it.

remote.jpg.jpg

BN-XS367_MYRIDE_M_20180302162910.jpg

This will be somewhat mitigated by using the underpinning of the Packard; which intended for rearward passengers to sit over the axle.

a5474030fcb36ec4180660d33715e2cd-700.jpg
    -Chad K.

VIN
    <2000
    Nice! It looks like you have the basic parameters sorted out. It's great that you can do the woodworking yourself.

I like the long, low and wide cars like the 2 roadsters you pictured. I also think that long dimension helps give the Duesenberg it's opulence. Speaking of long cars, before the Bugatti name was resurrected, this was what the marque meant to me as I had a picture on my wall as a teen:

image.jpg
    A Bugatti Type 41 Royale. http://www.coachbuild.com/2/index.ph...1-royale-41141

You'll have to update us on your progress.
    Dana