Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Fake News

VIN
    Blog Entries
    With last weekend's MAGA teen students protest stories and other events that were blown out of proportion and misrepresented, I have to wonder what the endgame is with the media. I see two probable causes, 1: It's misdirection to sway our attention from real news that would benefit the Republican tickets in future elections and B: Surely the media outlets know that in this age, every false story they spread is easily fact checked by even the average Joe Blow, yet they continue to force their agenda. Why? They know the average Joe Blow doesn't care enough to read past the headline, let alone fact check. They might be happy with controlling what the dumbest among us thinks since that is the majority of Americans. Yeah I said it, most Americans are quite content and dumb. As long as they get their check(be it paycheck or assistance), have their iPhone and drug of choice on standby and get their 225 channels on cable, they are not in the least worried about what happens outside their little bubble.

Fake news is here to stay, it is what we used to call propaganda, today it's called CNN
    Starvation, overpopulation, pollution, global warming, communisim,...all DMCTalk.com's fault

VIN
    Blog Entries
    The end game is what confuses me most; as a system of dependency is fundamentally unsustainable. Still, all societies eventually succumb to the same end: the trade of liberty for creature comfort.
    -Chad K.
    Previous owner of VINS: 6982, 1601, 1265, and 1269

"Count of Islandia; Colonel of the Defense Forces and Chancellor of Transportation."

It's not news anymore. It's perception management. I would like to welcome Journalists to the party of the despised, where you can join the ranks of lobbyists, lawyers, cops and prostitutes.
    Bungee Cup Holder Guru

It's genuinely frightening how completely wrong information makes it around, and how fast people will cast judgement. In decades past you'd see even the more politicized news pieces of someone doing something stupid and people would look up from their tv dinner, say "what a fart face!" And go back to their Stouffer's lasagna.

Now people get it on their phone, see it and become enraged to the point of calling for some kid's destruction, based on a tiny video that was heavily cut and skewed. They don't just make a judgement, they take it as a call to action. They even "doxed" the wrong poor kid and his entire family were harassed and attacked.

That's probably the scariest. The idiots (including anonymous) who call out a completely unrelated and innocent person and wreck their lives. Over an event that is not even newsworthy. Then when it's discovered the kid was innocent, or not even the right kid, they fade away unscathed to do it again another day.

VIN
    <2000
    As a kid, I disliked when the news came on, and my parents would watch it for an hour. To a kid, it was boring. But now, I miss that monotone news anchor that merely read the facts of what happened that day. Back then, they reported, and you decided. That's how I was taught....get the facts and then think about it, including the context, related events, etc.

Now, I have to scan multiple "news" sites and filter out the clear biases to try and deduce what actually happened. Many times I can't even do that, let alone forming an unbiased opinion on the event. How is that progress?

It's exasperating!
    Dana

1981 DeLorean DMC-12 (5 Speed, Gas Flap, Black Interior, Windshield Antenna, Dark Gray)
    2006 Dodge Magnum R/T (D/D)
    2010 Camaro SS (Transformers Edition)

VIN
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by sedated View Post
    It's genuinely frightening how completely wrong information makes it around, and how fast people will cast judgement. In decades past you'd see even the more politicized news pieces of someone doing something stupid and people would look up from their tv dinner, say "what a fart face!" And go back to their Stouffer's lasagna.

Now people get it on their phone, see it and become enraged to the point of calling for some kid's destruction, based on a tiny video that was heavily cut and skewed. They don't just make a judgement, they take it as a call to action. They even "doxed" the wrong poor kid and his entire family were harassed and attacked.

That's probably the scariest. The idiots (including anonymous) who call out a completely unrelated and innocent person and wreck their lives. Over an event that is not even newsworthy. Then when it's discovered the kid was innocent, or not even thr right kid, they fade away unscathed to do it again another day.
    Nicely put
    Starvation, overpopulation, pollution, global warming, communisim,...all DMCTalk.com's fault

Banned From "Tight Ship"
    VIN
    Very nicely!

[It's 10 O'Clock Eastern Time. Do you know who your children are?]

VIN
    Quote Originally Posted by Ron View Post
    Very nicely!

[It's 10 O'Clock Eastern Time. Do you know who your children are?]
    Fake news! Its 7:51 am Central Time.
    Rest assured, we have a backup of Farrar's car blog and it will be restored in the near future. (Steve Rice - March 2016)
    Rest assured, we have a backup of Shep's posts and all of them will be restored in the near future. (Steve Rice - March 2017)

VIN
    <2000
    Quote Originally Posted by Dead Lesbian Goat View Post
    Nicely put
    +1. The nature and quality of the news reporting these days is very unfortunate, but the the way some people react very publicly and sometimes very extremely, is just shocking.
    Dana

1981 DeLorean DMC-12 (5 Speed, Gas Flap, Black Interior, Windshield Antenna, Dark Gray)
    2006 Dodge Magnum R/T (D/D)
    2010 Camaro SS (Transformers Edition)

Administrator
    VIN
    Quote Originally Posted by DMC-81 View Post
    As a kid, I disliked when the news came on, and my parents would watch it for an hour. To a kid, it was boring. But now, I miss that monotone news anchor that merely read the facts of what happened that day. Back then, they reported, and you decided. That's how I was taught....get the facts and then think about it, including the context, related events, etc.

Now, I have to scan multiple "news" sites and filter out the clear biases to try and deduce what actually happened. Many times I can't even do that, let alone forming an unbiased opinion on the event. How is that progress?

It's exasperating!
    Same here, I remember when there were news anchors. Now the anchors are "on-air personalities" who feel entitled to [and are given opportunity to] express an opinion versus just reporting the facts.