Page 4 of 10 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: Ever felt like a cinder block was dropped on your roof?

VIN
    Quote Originally Posted by Rich_NYS View Post
    You don't need to know anything about driving in snow weather, you only need to know that NY uses salt every-friggin-where.
    Serious question here. I'm from the south so I really don't know anything about salted roads. I am looking at driving my car to Grady's shop sometime in November or December. I still need to replace my brake lines and I simply don't have time to go up there this month. I'm going to Vietnam in a few days so yeah.

So here is the question. Is it going to hurt my car if I end up driving on salted roads for a day or two? I'm guessing I will be fine, but wanted to see what you boys and girls think about it since yall live up there. I've heard that several of you boys and girls actually park your cars inside during winter, until the snow is gone. My frame is in decent shape, so I'd like to keep it that way.
    Rest assured, we have a backup of Farrar's car blog and it will be restored in the near future. (Steve Rice - March 2016)
    Rest assured, we have a backup of Shep's posts and all of them will be restored in the near future. (Steve Rice - March 2017)

Yes it will absolutely hurt your car. All it takes is one time . Once that spray gets in your frame your not gonna stop it.

One drive in the salt is enough to make you cry. I have seen it firsthand.

Every plated fastener will show rust, for starters. Even your stainless Borgeson shaft will show rust.

VIN
    Well snap. I guess I'll put off driving up there until the Spring. I sent Grady a message asking the same question. He's got a years worth of work piled up anyway, so I suppose he won't mind me waiting until spring to bring it up there.
    Rest assured, we have a backup of Farrar's car blog and it will be restored in the near future. (Steve Rice - March 2016)
    Rest assured, we have a backup of Shep's posts and all of them will be restored in the near future. (Steve Rice - March 2017)

VIN
    Quote Originally Posted by Boglin View Post
    Even your stainless Borgeson shaft will show rust.
    Mine did that even without salt.
    -Luke / 10270 / Turbo / EFI

Administrator
    VIN
    Quote Originally Posted by stevedmc View Post
    ~snip~

Is it going to hurt my car if I end up driving on salted roads for a day or two? I'm guessing I will be fine, but wanted to see what you boys and girls think about it since yall live up there. I've heard that several of you boys and girls actually park your cars inside during winter, until the snow is gone. My frame is in decent shape, so I'd like to keep it that way.

Yes, one time is all it takes.

Matt is right....that shit gets everywhere.

Don't you recall the pics I posted during one of my rants about all the salt where I live?

VIN
    Yes, one time is all it takes.

Matt is right....that shit gets everywhere.

Don't you recall the pics I posted during one of my rants about all the salt where I live?
    Yeah, and I remember you telling me how impressed you were with the Mississippi car, simply because it hasn't been exposed to salt. I knew that continued exposure to salt caused problems, but I had no idea that just one drive could be so bad.

I'm going to take yall's advice and avoid the salt. I still have three days of time off left for the year. If by some chance I have time to drive up there before snow starts, I will look into doing so at the last minute. I'm scared of what a last minute flight from New York to New Orleans will cost, but I'll look into that when it happens.

For now I pretty much have plans until November 13. So if I do make the drive, it will be after then if it doesn't snow, or I will wait to spring. I just hope Rob doesn't get mad at me for saying I want him to do the job, and then putting off the drive.

Administrator
    VIN
    Quote Originally Posted by stevedmc View Post
    Yeah, and I remember you telling me how impressed you were with the Mississippi car, simply because it hasn't been exposed to salt. I knew that continued exposure to salt caused problems, but I had no idea that just one drive could be so bad.~snip~
    Look at the heads of the screws: http://dmctoday.com/showthread.php?1...ll=1#post52159

Also, wait until after the first heavy rain of the spring.

VIN
    I think you should tentatively plan for you & I to replace it. I'm going to be securing my roofbox this winter, so I'll be familiar with some of the procedure. I was at Andrew's when Luke & crew adjusted NightFlyer Josh's torsion bars. I've also gathered some intel from Jimmy, Josh from Canada, and a few others.....doesn't sound too bad.

But....taking it to Rob's would definitely make it a proper job.

You should bounce the idea around the forums a bit to help make your decision.
    If you really would want to help I honestly wouldn't even know how to begin to thank you. I've been studying the procedure and watching a few videos and now that the initial shock and awe has worn off I actually think I could manage this job (with a little help of course)
    Νικος Αυγουστινατου
    Nick A.

1988 BMW 325iS - March 1988 build
    1982 DeLorean DMC-12 - December 1981 build

VIN
    Quote Originally Posted by AugustneverEnds View Post
    If you really would want to help I honestly wouldn't even know how to begin to thank you. I've been studying the procedure and watching a few videos and now that the initial shock and awe has worn off I actually think I could manage this job (with a little help of course)
    I've no clue of the logistics but we could just have a tech day when I drive up to Grady's shop.

Take the torsion bar directly off my car and put it on yours. Lol

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-J727AZ using Tapatalk