Page 1 of 10 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Ever felt like a cinder block was dropped on your roof?

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    VIN

Ever felt like a cinder block was dropped on your roof?

I have and now I have a D with a broken torsion bar. My first thought was to curse a PO for overtorquing the bars but that's took about six seconds to come and go. A quick search seems to suggest the only available replacement is here (as in new not NOS or used): http://www.dmoco.com/Torsion.html

Has anyone bought from these guys before? Is it as daunting a job as it sounds to replace the bar? I recall Mr. Bill R. somewhere stating that it's not the mission impossible it seems. As always thank you for any help
    Νικος Αυγουστινατου
    Nick A.

1988 BMW 325iS - March 1988 build
    1982 DeLorean DMC-12 - December 1981 build

It's not hard at all . I swapped my driver door . Use a buddy and it's much safer and easier. I used a cargo strap to support the weight of the door on the ceiling of the garage
    You'll need to support the doors weight by a method of your choice.

VIN
    Quote Originally Posted by powerline84 View Post
    It's not hard at all . I swapped my driver door . Use a buddy and it's much safer and easier. I used a cargo strap to support the weight of the door on the ceiling of the garage
    You'll need to support the doors weight by a method of your choice.
    Where did you source the bar from? Did your door have any alignment issues before or after?
    Νικος Αυγουστινατου
    Nick A.

I replaced my door and kept my origional bar. U shouldn't have to make to many adjustments to the door if u leave it bolted in

VIN
    Why did you have to replace the door? Accident damage? Unfortunately I need to find a torsion bar
    Νικος Αυγουστινατου
    Nick A.

VIN
    https://www.delorean.eu/catalog/prod...irneakefi2icg2

I am guessing from the description Europe is buying bars from DMOCO.

Not loving that the new bars are susceptible to rust: http://dmctalk.org/showthread.php?40...t=torsion+bars
    Νικος Αυγουστινατου
    Nick A.

VIN
    I have a used torsion bar is be willing to sell for half of what the new one costs.

I certainly don't recommend putting a used one on the car, but I can say that in the 9 years I've owned my car, I've never done a torsion bar adjustment so at least you wouldn't have to worry about it being over tightened by me.

Currently it is on the car. I bought a set of Heninger door springs that I've been meaning to install.

If you want it let me know. I could install the replacement door springs this week and ship my old torsion bar to you in a few days.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-J727AZ using Tapatalk
    Rest assured, we have a backup of Farrar's car blog and it will be restored in the near future. (Steve Rice - March 2016)
    Rest assured, we have a backup of Shep's posts and all of them will be restored in the near future. (Steve Rice - March 2017)

VIN
    Quote Originally Posted by stevedmc View Post
    I have a used torsion bar is be willing to sell for half of what the new one costs.

I certainly don't recommend putting a used one on the car, but I can say that in the 9 years I've owned my car, I've never done a torsion bar adjustment so at least you wouldn't have to worry about it being over tightened by me.

Currently it is on the car. I bought a set of Heninger door springs that I've been meaning to install.

If you want it let me know. I could install the replacement door springs this week and ship my old torsion bar to you in a few days.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-J727AZ using Tapatalk
    If it's not too much trouble I'm definitely want it. I'm in no rush. The weather here sucks, winter is around the corner and I'm debating whether I should try to replace it myself or pay PJ Grady's a visit.
    Νικος Αυγουστινατου
    Nick A.

Administrator
    VIN
    Quote Originally Posted by AugustneverEnds View Post
    If it's not too much trouble I'm definitely want it. I'm in no rush. The weather here sucks, winter is around the corner and I'm debating whether I should try to replace it myself or pay PJ Grady's a visit.
    I think you should tentatively plan for you & I to replace it. I'm going to be securing my roofbox this winter, so I'll be familiar with some of the procedure. I was at Andrew's when Luke & crew adjusted NightFlyer Josh's torsion bars. I've also gathered some intel from Jimmy, Josh from Canada, and a few others.....doesn't sound too bad.

But....taking it to Rob's would definitely make it a proper job.

You should bounce the idea around the forums a bit to help make your decision.

VIN
    Quote Originally Posted by Rich_NYS View Post
    I think you should tentatively plan for you & I to replace it. I'm going to be securing my roofbox this winter, so I'll be familiar with some of the procedure. I was at Andrew's when Luke & crew adjusted NightFlyer Josh's torsion bars. I've also gathered some intel from Jimmy, Josh from Canada, and a few others.....doesn't sound too bad.

But....taking it to Rob's would definitely make it a proper job.

You should bounce the idea around the forums a bit to help make your decision.
    If you really would want to help I honestly wouldn't even know how to begin to thank you. I've been studying the procedure and watching a few videos and now that the initial shock and awe has worn off I actually think I could manage this job (with a little help of course)
    Νικος Αυγουστινατου
    Nick A.