Page 1 of 10 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Ever felt like a cinder block was dropped on your roof?

VIN

Ever felt like a cinder block was dropped on your roof?

I have and now I have a D with a broken torsion bar. My first thought was to curse a PO for overtorquing the bars but that's took about six seconds to come and go. A quick search seems to suggest the only available replacement is here (as in new not NOS or used): http://www.dmoco.com/Torsion.html

Has anyone bought from these guys before? Is it as daunting a job as it sounds to replace the bar? I recall Mr. Bill R. somewhere stating that it's not the mission impossible it seems. As always thank you for any help
    Νικος Αυγουστινατου
    Nick A.

1988 BMW 325iS - March 1988 build
    1982 DeLorean DMC-12 - December 1981 build

It's not hard at all . I swapped my driver door . Use a buddy and it's much safer and easier. I used a cargo strap to support the weight of the door on the ceiling of the garage
    You'll need to support the doors weight by a method of your choice.

VIN
    Quote Originally Posted by powerline84 View Post
    It's not hard at all . I swapped my driver door . Use a buddy and it's much safer and easier. I used a cargo strap to support the weight of the door on the ceiling of the garage
    You'll need to support the doors weight by a method of your choice.
    Where did you source the bar from? Did your door have any alignment issues before or after?
    Νικος Αυγουστινατου
    Nick A.

I replaced my door and kept my origional bar. U shouldn't have to make to many adjustments to the door if u leave it bolted in

VIN
    Why did you have to replace the door? Accident damage? Unfortunately I need to find a torsion bar
    Νικος Αυγουστινατου
    Nick A.

VIN
    https://www.delorean.eu/catalog/prod...irneakefi2icg2

I am guessing from the description Europe is buying bars from DMOCO.

Not loving that the new bars are susceptible to rust: http://dmctalk.org/showthread.php?40...t=torsion+bars
    Νικος Αυγουστινατου
    Nick A.

VIN
    I have a used torsion bar is be willing to sell for half of what the new one costs.

I certainly don't recommend putting a used one on the car, but I can say that in the 9 years I've owned my car, I've never done a torsion bar adjustment so at least you wouldn't have to worry about it being over tightened by me.

Currently it is on the car. I bought a set of Heninger door springs that I've been meaning to install.

If you want it let me know. I could install the replacement door springs this week and ship my old torsion bar to you in a few days.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-J727AZ using Tapatalk
    Rest assured, we have a backup of Farrar's car blog and it will be restored in the near future. (Steve Rice - March 2016)
    Rest assured, we have a backup of Shep's posts and all of them will be restored in the near future. (Steve Rice - March 2017)

I think Bill had a failure on one of his Heninger torsion bars.

VIN
    Quote Originally Posted by Boglin View Post
    I think Bill had a failure on one of his Heninger torsion bars.
    I wish I didn't have to block him on Facebook. Although, I can imagine he has been posting crazy political stuff all afternoon.

Rest assured, we have a backup of Farrar's car blog and it will be restored in the near future. (Steve Rice - March 2016)
    Rest assured, we have a backup of Shep's posts and all of them will be restored in the near future. (Steve Rice - March 2017)

VIN
    Quote Originally Posted by stevedmc View Post
    I have a used torsion bar is be willing to sell for half of what the new one costs.

I certainly don't recommend putting a used one on the car, but I can say that in the 9 years I've owned my car, I've never done a torsion bar adjustment so at least you wouldn't have to worry about it being over tightened by me.

Currently it is on the car. I bought a set of Heninger door springs that I've been meaning to install.

If you want it let me know. I could install the replacement door springs this week and ship my old torsion bar to you in a few days.

If it's not too much trouble I'm definitely want it. I'm in no rush. The weather here sucks, winter is around the corner and I'm debating whether I should try to replace it myself or pay PJ Grady's a visit.
    Νικος Αυγουστινατου
    Nick A.