Thread: David T is wrong

VIN
    Blog Entries

David T is wrong

I know my garage is a mess, I will clean it up this week.

I know my hands are dirty...that's cause I work Chris.

I know I said 1,500 degrees, I meant the gun I used went up to 1,500.

As for the rest, it flies in the face of 30 years of DeLorean wisdom. I would get burned at the stake posting this on that other forum.
    Starvation, overpopulation, pollution, global warming, communisim,...all DMCTalk.com's fault

Devout Follower Of He Who Walks Behind The Rows NightFlyer's Avatar
    VIN
    I fully concur about the hood 'x' and/or 'u.'

As to the gasket around the hood/bonnet/frunk, I'm still running the stock/OEM one that my car came with from the factory/QAC, and not only does it not leak, but the alignment with the fenders has always been spot on IMHO. I think what's most important is that the seal is installed precisely so as to NOT be centered directly on the GRP lip when shut, but rather slightly towards either the outside or inside of that lip. That way, when the seal compresses when shut, as opposed to bunching/pushing upwards and against the hood, it compresses outwards horizontally. I believe that back-in-the-day, some owners found it easier to glue the seal around the cavity lip as opposed to on the hood, though setting it 'just right' on the hood is possible with trial-and-error and patience.

Finally, as to the front fascia warping and eye-browing, I honestly don't know if headlamp heat is a contributing factor or not - your guess is as good as the next person's.

I love it when conventional wisdom is challenged, because more often than not, it tends to be not as solid as most believe, or at least in my experiences anyway. When I first started posting to the forums, most thought I was Bill using a bogus screen name because of how often I challenged the conventional wisdom of others (and especially everyone's favorite 'guru')......
    "You can never use too much anti-seize!"

--Josh S.

VIN
    Blog Entries
    Interesting story about the seal. I believe Bill R. did his bonnet seal by attaching it to the tub too.

As far as the fascias, I believe the urethane just warps over time and temp changes. The headlights might have something to do with it but I think sitting in the sun is the main culprit. Ever notice how some concourse cars that get driven regularly at night yet stay indoors have flawless fascias?

It will also please you to know my garage is now clean and organized.
    Starvation, overpopulation, pollution, global warming, communisim,...all DMCTalk.com's fault

VIN
    100% on the fascias. My garage faces south and the rear of my car is exposed to direct sunlight. On a sunny day, the minute I open the garage door you can hear the fascia start to pop-pop-pop-pop as it expands.
    -Luke / 10270 / Turbo / EFI

My front fascia is normally straight, and I have no reinforcements installed on it. A few months ago I drove to a car show where it sat in the sun for about 4 hours at 98 degrees. When I got home, I had eyebrows. Then the car sat in my air-conditioned garage for 4 hours, and after that time, the eyebrows were gone.

I think maybe if I repeated this sort-of thing daily, the eyebrows would remain, but for this one time, they came and went.

VIN
    Blog Entries
    When the temp hits 88 degrees, you're going to see some serious shift.

Administrator
    VIN
    Great video, and your car looks amazing.

VIN
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Rich_NYS View Post
    Great video, and your car looks amazing.
    Thanks man! It's been detailed twice in the last 6 days.