Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Head Gasket Replacement Procedure

VIN
    It ain't fancy, but I now have lights in the shop.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-J727AZ using Tapatalk
    Rest assured, we have a backup of Farrar's car blog and it will be restored in the near future. (Steve Rice - March 2016)
    Rest assured, we have a backup of Shep's posts and all of them will be restored in the near future. (Steve Rice - March 2017)

Administrator
    VIN
    This would be the perfect opportunity to install a set of performance cams! It would be pretty cool to see a carbed Delorean with performance cams and Spec 1 exhaust! :-) Last time I checked Don Steger still has his Don's Crazy Cams available.

Administrator
    VIN
    Quote Originally Posted by Andrew View Post
    This would be the perfect opportunity to install a set of performance cams! It would be pretty cool to see a carbed Delorean with performance cams and Spec 1 exhaust! :-) Last time I checked Don Steger still has his Don's Crazy Cams available.
    Do it Steve!

VIN
    I wish. That stuff costs money and I've got to have this car back on the road soon so I can give it a shakedown for the drive to DCS.

I just got home and the head gaskets have arrived. It's time to put the passenger side head back on and start removing the driver side. Once I have both heads installed I will remove the timing chain cover so I can release that stupid tensioner.

Last night I took off the exhaust and rear fascia so I can access that crankshaft pully nut.

Incidentally, are any of you boo boos actually going.

I talked to Chad the other day and he plans to bring a guest and share the room. That makes three confirmed people so far.

Rest assured, we have a backup of Farrar's car blog and it will be restored in the near future. (Steve Rice - March 2016)
    Rest assured, we have a backup of Shep's posts and all of them will be restored in the near future. (Steve Rice - March 2017)

VIN
    Tonight I put the passenger head back on with a new head gasket.

I removed the timing cover and I installed the chain and set the timing. Hopefully I did it right. I am able to manually turn the engine and there aren't any loud thumps, so maybe I did it right. I'm worried I might be off a tooth, but I guess I will find out when I start the engine.

Unfortunately I will have to redo the timing for the distributor before I can start the car since I turned the engine while the distributor was removed.

Tonight I pulled the driver head and called it quits for the evening. Visually it looks intact.

Tomorrow evening I will start cleaning the surfaces.

Banned From "Tight Ship"
    VIN
    Quote Originally Posted by stevedmc View Post
    I removed the timing cover and I installed the chain and set the timing. Hopefully I did it right. I am able to manually turn the engine and there aren't any loud thumps, so maybe I did it right. I'm worried I might be off a tooth, but I guess I will find out when I start the engine.
    If the marks on the chain(s) are gone, you can count the links...I forgot how many, but you can call Josh and he can tell you.
    Working on "The other DeLorean" (1966 GTO).

VIN
    Quote Originally Posted by Ron View Post
    If the marks on the chain(s) are gone, you can count the links...I forgot how many, but you can call Josh and he can tell you.
    Fortunately the marks are there. I've got it timed according to those marks. My concern is the cam might be off just a hair.

The instructions show the mark on the passenger camshaft sprocket being in what appears to be the 1 o'clock position. Mine is a bit closer to the 12 o'clock position. Maybe I'm just scared over nothing. The crank pulley turns the engine over just fine. I did several rations by hand without the engine getting stuck, so at least I know the engine won't blow up when I try to start it.

Made progress cleaning up the driver side head and block. Couldn't find any obvious leaks on the driver side gasket either.

I could put the head back in today but I don't want to monkey with that tensioner by myself. I'll probably do it tomorrow when I have some help.

Banned From "Tight Ship"
    VIN
    Quote Originally Posted by stevedmc View Post
    Maybe I'm just scared over nothing.
    Yep, ...maybe do a compression check before you put the cover back on.

Looking good!

PS: Steve SUCKS!
    Working on "The other DeLorean" (1966 GTO).

VIN
    Quote Originally Posted by Ron View Post
    Yep, ...maybe do a compression check before you put the cover back on.

Looking good!

PS: Steve SUCKS!
    I don't suck until I start messing with spark plugs.

I bought the head gaskets and bolts from Grady. I'm thinking once I have the driver head back on, I'll send pictures to Grady to confirm it is okay and of course ask what procedure he does to torque the head bolts.

Administrator
    VIN
    You're not turning the engine with the heads off are you!!!??? Doing so can result in a dislodged cylinder liner and a failure of the liner seal at the base of the block resulting in a coolant leak.